•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

need some targets

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dAbandit0

dAbandit0

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:50 AM

I got an 8 inch dob about 2 months ago and I have seen most types of objects globs, open clusters, planetary nebulae,and even the c5 reflection nebula what would be some good targets for me in bortle 7 skies? I would like to see an emission nebula because i have not successfully observed one.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:08 AM

Try M57. It's small but has a high surface brightness and is in a comparatively easily navigated location. Planetary nebulae ARE emission nebula.

Get some charts and a subscription to Sky & Telescope and study to become familiar with the sky's observable objects. See this monthly forum string to learn what's well positioned for viewing during a month -  https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11399432

Start with the top ten binocular objects for a month, found toward the bottom of the posts.

Try M17, M20 and M8 for relatively easy nebula observations. But you may have to wait until they are better placed next year. The big sky clock overhead does not bring objects to order but keeps its own schedule. M42 will be around soon and you can see it with your naked eyes.

• wrvond likes this

#3 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:49 AM

I got an 8 inch dob about 2 months ago and I have seen most types of objects globs, open clusters, planetary nebulae,and even the c5 reflection nebula what would be some good targets for me in bortle 7 skies? I would like to see an emission nebula because i have not successfully observed one.

You could try looking at M31/M32/M101 and M33.

#4 Tim Hager

Tim Hager

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Milford, CT, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:59 AM

Get up before twilight in the morning and take a look at M42/M43.  M78 is not far away but not as impressive. 

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:26 AM

Welcome to C/N! welcome.gif You will hear this a lot but darker skies are the key to seeing many of the "faint fuzzies." You will be able to tease out some of the brighter DSO's in Bortle 7 skies but they won't stand out against a black background. That's where the real magic happens IMO. Put your scope in the backseat of your car and the base in the trunk then get to Bortle 3 if at all possible. Best of luck to you! wavey.gif

• weis14 likes this

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:34 AM

The c5 reflection nebula?

You may still be able to observe M8, M16, and M17 shortly after dark, if you have a good southwestern horizon.

https://freestarcharts.com/messier-8

https://freestarcharts.com/messier-16

https://freestarcharts.com/messier-17

Of course, M42 will be the best possible emission nebula later in the night.

https://freestarcharts.com/messier-42

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:47 AM

Here's a screen capture from Stellarium showing M8 from my latitude of 40 degrees north at 7:30 p.m. EDT.

Attached Thumbnails

• M8 10-23-21 Stellarium.JPG

#8 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Gemini

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:16 PM

By C5 I am assuming Caldwell 5? If so it is not a nebula. It is IC342, a faint face on spiral galaxy in cammel...cammo...cama...the Camel constellation. If you could see this one you should be able to bag a lot of emission nebulae!

#9 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Soyuz

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:24 PM

Do you have an app like Sky Safari, or the software. (free) called Stellarium? You can select and choose objects for observing. You can see when objects come to meridian at your location.

M8 is an emission nebula, but I guess you missed it for this year as it is in western Sagittarius. The good old Orion Nebula M42 is great fun.

#10 rblackadar

rblackadar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:40 PM

I bet you can find M1, too. Perhaps not an "emission nebula" if you are being overly strict about categories, but, well, it shines by emission so why not. Also M27 which nobody mentioned above, but if you say you've seen planetaries, that had to be one of your first.

As for the many popular nebulae that are too dim (or too large) to have Messier numbers, those are very difficult for visual and, I would say, not possible in Bortle 7. They can be very nice photographic targets, though, with an appropriate camera lens (or small telescope) on a tracker. Or EAA. Especially when used with a camera, filters work wonders on emission nebulae, in LP zones.

#11 dAbandit0

dAbandit0

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

By C5 I am assuming Caldwell 5? If so it is not a nebula. It is IC342, a faint face on spiral galaxy in cammel...cammo...cama...the Camel constellation. If you could see this one you should be able to bag a lot of emission nebulae!

#12 dAbandit0

dAbandit0

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:52 PM

I meant caldwell 4 lol

#13 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:39 PM

Try:

https://www.cloudyni...list/?p=6165843

That will keep you busy for a while.

All objects can be seen with a 4" scope in dark skies.  Your sky is bright, so even with 8", some of them will be tough.

#14 dAbandit0

dAbandit0

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:28 PM

thanks alot thats a great list

#15 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:02 PM

I meant caldwell 4 lol

You'll get better traction here by using the proper DSO designations and not the ones in the Caldwell "catalog".

#16 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

The Iris nebula is a reflection nebula, but honestly, from a purely observational standpoint, there's no distinction between reflection and emission nebulae. If you can see the Iris from where you are (which I am a little surprised to hear) then most common emission nebulae should not be difficult to see.

#17 fallenstarseven

fallenstarseven

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA, USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:08 AM

Grab a copy of Turn Left at Orion, which arranges targets by season and also ranks them by their impact for both Dob and Refractor users.  Using this I was able to gradually knock off a huge number of the key targets over the past year, of every type, using my 10" dob.

I think it's about the best 27 bucks I ever spent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics