•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech AT130 EDT f/7 ED Triplet OTA: Just pullled the triger

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:11 PM

Been looking at getting a nice refractor and today my "finance manager" said I had a $2000.00 budget.

Including a small shipping upgrade I came out with $41.43 to spare.

• Jaimo!, RAKing, Castor and 3 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:13 PM

You're gonna love it !!

• Castor likes this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:23 PM

Congrats! Did you also know that Astronomics  gives CloudyNights members a discount? I believe you have to give them your CN username info when you order.

• Castor likes this

#4 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

Been looking at getting a nice refractor and today my "finance manager" said I had a $2000.00 budget.

Including a small shipping upgrade I came out with $41.43 to spare.

I have loved mine for the past 5 years, you will love yours too.

GM8 and AT130EDT

• Castor likes this

#5 Heywood

Heywood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:41 PM

Do the rings on the AT130 fit on a Losmandy style dovetail plate? Does AT sell such a plate?

Thank you.

#6 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:44 PM

Heywood,

Yes and yes.

By the way I still use the Vixon plate. But if you want the Losmandy you can get it from lots of sources.

Edited by rkaufmann87, 23 October 2021 - 02:45 PM.

#7 Rodgerraubach

Rodgerraubach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:00 PM

In a way, I would have liked the 130 EDT better--except for the weight and portability. Nothing beats aperture. You will love a 5" refractor once it's in your hands. Steve O'Meara did the entire Messier catalog with a 4" Televue Petzval   under superb dark skies of Hawaii and with his phenomenal eyesight. But that additional inch makes a big difference in quality of what they look like. More globular clusters resolved into stars, and the view of the Perseus Double Cluster will astound you!

• Castor likes this

#8 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:42 AM

Heywood,

As Roger said, Yes and Yes.

I just put a Losmandy "D" style plate and radius bars on my Meade 2080 SCT.

The plate is pre-drilled with  an abundance of smooth and threaded holes.

You can get the real deal here:  http://www.losmandy.com/

Their products are high quality and the customer service is superb.

Astronomics sells Losmandy: https://www.astronom...ail-plates.html

Edited by Cliff Hipsher, 24 October 2021 - 07:46 AM.

#9 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:24 PM

My AT 130 EDT will be here on Friday...  Now I get to wait for  iOptron to get my GEM45 fixed....

• Castor and mjbrunke like this

#10 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:49 AM

Congratulations.  That's a great scope and you're lucky to get one given the shortages now.  I wonder how many telescopes are sitting in containers in those ships sitting in the ocean on the West coast right now?

• Castor likes this

#11 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:24 PM

Congratulations.  That's a great scope and you're lucky to get one given the shortages now.  I wonder how many telescopes are sitting in containers in those ships sitting in the ocean on the West coast right now?

And I hope none of those containers are floating in the ocean after that accident the other day. tongue2.gif

• Castor, Heywood and Jon_Doh like this

#12 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:23 PM

What's everyone using for a reducer / flattener? The matched one was more on the way when I ordered. I got a hotech flattener on hand good through about f/8 I think. Not sure I'll be doing much deep sky imaging with it however.

#13 JohnMeggers

JohnMeggers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 31 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

I'm looking at options as well. Anybody have information on what glass is used in this model? I know the 125EDL uses FCD-100 but I haven't been able to find anything other than "ED glass" for this model. 

John

#14 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2021 - 03:47 PM

The "pamphlet" that came with mine said, Your scope's air spaced triplet optics use FPL-51 equivalent ED Extra-Low Dispersion glass.."   http://www.ianmoriso...jective-lenses/

#15 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

John,

It is not actually FPL-51, it is the equivalent of it though as the pamphlets referenced says, just a different glass maker which is CDGM in China. with an Abbe Number of 81.6. It has H-FK61 glass in it which the article says is very similar to FPL-51. That glass is briefly mentioned in the article you referenced. 

To see how good it is please navigate to Astrobin, log in and do a search for AT130EDT and look at some of the photos it has generated, I doubt you will be disappointed. I've  had mine about 5 years and the thing just never disappoints. I have never read any reviews where the reviewer indicated they were disappointed in the quality of the scope, the optics or anything. It's not a Tak, AP or Tec but its a darn good scope. 

Edited by rkaufmann87, 31 October 2021 - 04:58 PM.

• Castor and Heywood like this

#16 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 31 October 2021 - 07:16 PM

John,

It is not actually FPL-51, it is the equivalent of it though as the pamphlets referenced says, just a different glass maker which is CDGM in China. with an Abbe Number of 81.6. It has H-FK61 glass in it which the article says is very similar to FPL-51. That glass is briefly mentioned in the article you referenced. 

To see how good it is please navigate to Astrobin, log in and do a search for AT130EDT and look at some of the photos it has generated, I doubt you will be disappointed. I've  had mine about 5 years and the thing just never disappoints. I have never read any reviews where the reviewer indicated they were disappointed in the quality of the scope, the optics or anything. It's not a Tak, AP or Tec but its a darn good scope. 

Thing to look for rather than colour with inexpensive triplets is any evidence of lens decentering/wedge or spherical under or overcorrection. 

#17 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:45 PM

Had first light tonight.  This scope is a total WOW.  I should have gotten a refractor a long time ago...

I did hit a little bit of a snag.  I could not get the scope to come to focus.  Then I thought about back focus.

I don't have a decent extension tube collection, and I don't have a decent diagonal yet, but I do have a Vixen Flip Mirror that has a 2" tube for use with an SCT visual back.  Add the blank off cap and Viola, I have a diagonal.

So I slew around to Jupiter and I am blown away.  I have a 30mm to 10mm zoom,and I see Jupiter and four moons on black velvet.    I bump the power up and at 10mm I can see banding...  I grab a 2x Barlow.  At 5mm I can see multiple bands.  This is a first for me and I'm loving it.  Then I hit Saturn..  OMG...  The rings have sharp edges...

I spent the better part of 2 hours taking it all in.  I'm hooked...

• Castor and wxcloud like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics