•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Push to bino setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:08 PM

I thought I'd share this setup for fun. 

For some time, I've had a liberated Celestron Starsense Explorer (SSE) plate solving based push to adapter for use with my telescopes. I mostly use it with my dob but it's also come in handy while traveling and using a very light mount that does't have encoders. For anyone who doesn't know, the SSE adapter and app allow the user to have a very slick push to system based on plate solving that is done on a smartphone once aligned with the holder and telescope ... or binocular!

I'm new to binocualr astronomy with the exception of some wonderful nights under dark Hawaiian skies with my 8x42 spacewalkers. So after considering several options I decided to dip my toes in with the Oberwerk 15x70LW. They arrived this week along with a farpoint far-sight bino mount. I was able to remove the small metal plates that come on the far-sight (I think they form a pictinny mounting base) which revealed a hole just right for a M6 screw. I had a single M6 synta style finder shoe from ScopeStuff and was able to bolt it on the far-sight with a M6 nylon threaded nut.

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

Now I'm able to mount the SSE adapter to the far-sight. It rides a little high but I'm hoping the ergonomics are adequate. 

IMG_0517.jpeg

Here's the whole setup with binos, Far-Sight, and SSE. I'm looking forward to testing it out once the rain stops!

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0118.jpeg

• Boki, ArsMachina, Stevenkelby and 2 others like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

I've been wondering how to use my M2C mount with Nexus Pro DSC to do some push-to binocular viewing with my Oberwerk 15x70s. The two unclear aspects of this are the connection to the binoculars and the height. The single 1/4"-20 connection to the binoculars seems like a weak link and the height would need to be raised about two feet to be usable.

A custom adapter/riser can handle the height but what about the binocular connection? Please report back on how it works.

#3 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

I've been wondering how to use my M2C mount with Nexus Pro DSC to do some push-to binocular viewing with my Oberwerk 15x70s. The two unclear aspects of this are the connection to the binoculars and the height. The single 1/4"-20 connection to the binoculars seems like a weak link and the height would need to be raised about two feet to be usable.

A custom adapter/riser can handle the height but what about the binocular connection? Please report back on how it works.

I too have a M2C with encoders and it's great isn't it? the best way I could think to make that work would be a L bracket for binos. I've seen that Orion used to sell one and recently noticed this one on the AOKSwiss site. For the M2C an L bracket seems best due to the az knob sticking up so high. I think the L brackets are intended for binoscopes and not straight through binos but with a tall enough tripod it could work. I agree you're putting a lot of weight pretty high in the air once the whole M2C is up there!

Are you saying you are concerned about a binocular adapter mounted to a 1/4" screw? If so I would want to assuage your concerns as I think most binos are mounted that way on photo tripods, quick release plates, and fluid heads. If you have a good binocular mounting bracket I think the connection works well. It's the az knob you have to work around with the M2C. Perhaps others with more experience may have even better advice. 

• MarMax likes this

#4 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:59 PM

Looks like the Orion version is still for sale

• MarMax likes this

#5 brookhill

brookhill

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:57 PM

A definite conceptual improvement over internal gyro and compass. Don't see this item for sale standalone? Thx for sharing. Great idea.

#6 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:18 AM

A definite conceptual improvement over internal gyro and compass. Don't see this item for sale standalone? Thx for sharing. Great idea.

They don’t sell it stand alone yet. No idea why. If you find the main thread on the SSE you’ll see how folks are acquiring and developing different setups. 

• Stevenkelby and brookhill like this

#7 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:14 AM

They don’t sell it stand alone yet. No idea why. If you find the main thread on the SSE you’ll see how folks are acquiring and developing different setups. 

Link? 

#8 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:36 AM

Link? 

https://www.cloudyni...r/#entry9898471

• Stevenkelby likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics