•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I can't decide wich one of these cameras and telescopes

Astrophotography DSLR Equipment Imaging Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rouvi05

Rouvi05

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hello everyone

Until now I used a canon 4000d with a ef 75-300mm, which I have to give back now to a friend.

Now I can't decide wich equipment I want to buy. Can you help me?

My first thought was a canon 750d (rebel t6i) with a samyang 135mm and modify the camera by myself. But then i noticed that i have to buy expensive clip-in filters, that I cant't use later on with a osc. If i'd buy one, I would go with the optolong l-enhance.

Then my next thought was to buy a 533mc pro with the samyang 135mm. However, I'm not a fan of, that I always have to take my computer with me and also the FOV wouldn't be quite nice.

After that, I thought about buying the Canon eos r and letting it astromodify. Maybe i would then still go with the samyang or maybe also with the RedCat 51. With the Samyamg i would still be able to mount a 2" filter with adapters. In total, the Eos R would be 250 dollar more expensive than the 533 mc pro.

Now, do you think the eos r or the 533mc pro would give me better results? Or should i go with the eos 750d? What do you think?

Thank you

#2 Signal2Noise

Signal2Noise

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51.0486° N | 114.0708° W

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:14 PM

…533MC… However, I'm not a fan of, that I always have to take my computer with me and also the FOV wouldn't be quite nice.

The benefit of the 533MC Pro, or any ZWO ASI Pro-designated camera, is it offers cooling which the DSLRs do not. So your image taking options really open up.

Also, as for the computer requirement, you could consider adding the ZWO ASIAir Pro/Plus which negates the need for laptop/computers connected to scope/mount.

#3 astrodom

astrodom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

I am not sure which mount you are using.   The good advice above about the cooled CMOS camera will definitely give you low noise images, but you will need a power supply to cool the camera, a power supply for the ASIAIR (can be the same one)  and cables to control your mount.   The DSLR /Mirroless options are easier in the field with a camera lens, but less options. Many astro-modified cameras come up frequently on this site, so you shouldn't have to spend that much if you don't mind buying used.  I have a good mount with a cooled CMOS camera for my yard, but a portable Star adventurer mount with a 70-200mm lens and a DSLR for when I am traveling.  It may depend on your goals and your budget which way you want to go.  

#4 Rouvi05

Rouvi05

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for the awnsers!

Before I had a cheap but heavy 150/1200 visual telescope so I bought already for longterm use the neq-6 pro.

Can't the noise problem be removed by more exposures? I was more worried about the resolution of the 533mc pro. I mean 9 megapixels vs 30 of the eos r? By the way, would image scale be a problem with the samyang 135mm f/2? Does it matter if I put on the 533 or the 294? Or should i pick the 183?

Astrofom, I see you have a eos ra. Are the results better than with the 183mc pro?

Thank you

#5 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:24 AM

The ASI2600 MC Pro is the equivalent sensor size (APS-C) to your Canon DSLR and has 26 megapixels. 

The ASI533MC Pro (which I have) has a smaller sensor (11mm x 11mm) hence fewer pixels.

I can also confirm that the 533 and the 2600 will easily outperform your DSLR - not only faster, the zero amp-glow and low noise mean that you can often get results in 1 minute that your DSLR will struggle to achieve. Whats more, no darks needed. TEC cooling puts these cameras way, way ahead of DSLRs and there's quite simply no way a DSLR can match that.

For wide-field things, forget the Samyang and other camera lenses, not sharp enough. What I'd suggest is the ASKAR ACL 200mm f/4 or the FRA 400mm f/5.6; these are hybrid fast astrographs and both are exquisitely sharp and will cover full-frame sensors. Yes the lens is slower than the Samyang, but ASI cameras are so sensitive they make up for that, and more.

Another application for the ASI533 (or 2600) is lunar & planetary with a much longer focal length; in this case apps like SharpCap allow you to select a small "region of interest" and can record video with exposures as sort as 1 millisecond at 30 fps - if you have a fast laptop. This is frame-by-frame and uncompressed raw frames, so it will burn storage at a phenomenal rate, possibly 9GB per minute.

NB for mid-range I use a 6" maksutov (Intes MK66) with a reducer giving f/6. I also use a 10" maksutov at f/6, f/12 or f/20 but I suspect this is well out of your league.

In suburbia the optimum exposures for the ASI533 can be surprisingly short - in my case 30 seconds at f/6 - will reach magnitude 11 galaxies. Stacking multiple frames etc you can go deeper, easily. The big thing is though with 30 second exposures I do not need an equatorial mount  - I use AZEQ6 in altaz mode. The stacking algorithm in SharpCap deals with rotation and drift from one frame to the next.

Edited by luxo II, 24 October 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#6 Rouvi05

Rouvi05

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:54 AM

Okay then I will just go with the askar 200mm with the 533mc pro or the 294 mc pro, so I can save a little bit of money to buy later on a better mono camera.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSLR, Equipment, Imaging, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics