•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daytime infrareds Jupiter and saturn

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:05 PM

Daytime Infrared Jupiter and Saturn 630pm 642ir 10/23/21

Attached Thumbnails

• 623D3A3D-07C0-4518-BF4F-63D0159FE511.jpeg

• KpS, aaube, happylimpet and 11 others like this

#2 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:06 PM

Sat

Attached Thumbnails

• A34A1448-2438-4980-9258-0AFC704DD7F6.jpeg

• Az Frank, KpS, happylimpet and 8 others like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:22 PM

Amazing !  How did you get the background so dark in daytime?

#4 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:40 PM

How interesting. Quite a good level of detail too.
Peter913 I would guess that the blue sky background would appear dark or black at infrared wavelengths. This leaves the camera recording IR wavelengths coming from the planets.
Cheers Paul

#5 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:31 PM

That’s correct, sky is much darker in infrared, however it will still be grey instead of black but you can adjust it out easily by adjusting black and white levels in post processing, works best in early morning or late afternoon 

#6 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:53 AM

Great shots. I had no idea you can do daytime planetary photography like this. Can I ask what sort of camera you used? Is it had to find the target?

#7 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, to do this well you need a zwo or qhy 462 or a playerone imx464 which is what I used here, all three cameras are highly sensitive to infrared, in addition you need infrared filter, I used a 642nm for these shots,

and yes it can be difficult to find them, if your lucky and the moon is out you can use it to sync on then slew to Jupiter… otherwise if it’s very late or early then if you can get in the vicinity of Jupiter it will show up in your finder…. So will Venus and Mercury as long as they are far enough away from sun.  You can not see Saturn but if you find Jupiter then you can hop to it easily.

lastly… one of the reasons I use the 642ir filter is it does allow some visible red through… so it’s useful to have it for centering the planets on chip using my flip mirror…. The more aggressive filters like the 850nm block all visible light so much more difficult to get on chip. Anyway it’s fun and works great on moon too

Great shots. I had no idea you can do daytime planetary photography like this. Can I ask what sort of camera you used? Is it had to find the target?

Edited by GSBass, 24 October 2021 - 11:46 AM.

• Aquat0ne likes this

#8 CPellier

CPellier

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:17 PM

Very nice work. The sky is darker in near IR but one problem is, Jupiter as well, is darker in near IR, so the expected contrast effect is rather weak. That's also why the BP642 will perform more than longer wavelength filters under such conditions, since the filter includes a part of visible red light, where the planet's albedo is higher. 

#9 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

Thanks, to do this well you need a zwo or qhy 462 or a playerone imx464 which is what I used here, all three cameras are highly sensitive to infrared, in addition you need infrared filter, I used a 642nm for these shots,

and yes it can be difficult to find them, if your lucky and the moon is out you can use it to sync on then slew to Jupiter… otherwise if it’s very late or early then if you can get in the vicinity of Jupiter it will show up in your finder…. So will Venus and Mercury as long as they are far enough away from sun. You can not see Saturn but if you find Jupiter then you can hop to it easily.

lastly… one of the reasons I use the 642ir filter is it does allow some visible red through… so it’s useful to have it for centering the planets on chip using my flip mirror…. The more aggressive filters like the 850nm block all visible light so much more difficult to get on chip. Anyway it’s fun and works great on moon too

Thank you for the explanation. Truly great work.
  • GSBass likes this

#10 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

This certainly use to be true but tech marches on, Sony has created some very nice infrared chips that provide nice high contrast images in daylight, I’ve taken lunar photos that would rival my nighttime shots and although infrared on planets is a different animal altogether they tend to show pretty good detail… only thing is it’s not an all day thing, works best as sun is rising or setting…. And of course having good seeing is still required….. also obviously you have to like b&w

Very nice work. The sky is darker in near IR but one problem is, Jupiter as well, is darker in near IR, so the expected contrast effect is rather weak. That's also why the BP642 will perform more than longer wavelength filters under such conditions, since the filter includes a part of visible red light, where the planet's albedo is higher. 

#11 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:44 PM

Just ran that image through snapseed to bring out some detail… it’s a judgement call, I usually process most of my stuff with softer focus and contrast because I like them less noisy and natural…. Just didn’t want to give anyone impression it was because they were imaged in daylight…. Although detail is different in infrared, it still comes through just as much as color nighttime images…. It’s all in the post processing…. If you took a good image in the first place

Attached Thumbnails

• 0B85142D-DB6E-4F00-9497-563E41D56785.png

• Foc and Kiwi Paul like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics