•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAir Pro Screw sizes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:05 PM

Anyone know what size **** need for mounting the asiair pro? The big middle one looks like a M6, but my screw starts tightening up after about two turns, so I'm guessing the thread pitch is not 1? How about the smaller ones? Look like M4 Maybe? I looked through the manual (ZWO usually includes technical pictures of their products), but couldn't find one showing screw sizes

Thanks!

• teashea likes this

#2 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:06 PM

Oh, that's funny, I posted this question in the ASIAir group on facebook and it auto-removed my question because of the word "5crew" and it *'d it out in this one too. Too funny

#3 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:13 PM

Might have got an answer, I think they're 1/4x20's. Now why in the world would ZWO use SAE on astronomy equipment???

• teashea likes this

#4 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

It is amazing how non metric screws and bolts are used sometimes outside of the US.  I thought that the rest of the world was smarter than that.  

• bjahns likes this

#5 ShadowAngel

ShadowAngel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:03 PM

Might have got an answer, I think they're 1/4x20's. Now why in the world would ZWO use SAE on astronomy equipment???

Because it's a common size for tripod and photography equipment, which fits right into the design intentions of the product.

Edited by ShadowAngel, 23 October 2021 - 08:04 PM.

#6 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:01 PM

It is amazing how non metric screws and bolts are used sometimes outside of the US.  I thought that the rest of the world was smarter than that.  

Right?

• teashea likes this

#7 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:09 PM

Because it's a common size for tripod and photography equipment, which fits right into the design intentions of the product.

I really don't think their target audience was people strapping one of their expensive cameras to a static tripod. Have you seen how long people are waiting for them to update the OS to support DSLR x or mirrorless y?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they want you to buy their camera, their filter wheel, their EAF (that's why it doesn't support other EAF's for sure, I think the same is true with filter wheels), and I'm guessing if/when they ever create their own mount, support for other brands will take a far backseat, just like other companies cameras.

I ended up drilling/tapping my aluminum plate for M5 and screwed down a dovetail clamp (is there an actual name for those mini ones that clamp onto guidescopes and the little thing that came with the ASIAir?) and got it working.

#8 ShadowAngel

ShadowAngel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:59 AM

I really don't think their target audience was people strapping one of their expensive cameras to a static tripod. Have you seen how long people are waiting for them to update the OS to support DSLR x or mirrorless y?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they want you to buy their camera, their filter wheel, their EAF (that's why it doesn't support other EAF's for sure, I think the same is true with filter wheels), and I'm guessing if/when they ever create their own mount, support for other brands will take a far backseat, just like other companies cameras.

I ended up drilling/tapping my aluminum plate for M5 and screwed down a dovetail clamp (is there an actual name for those mini ones that clamp onto guidescopes and the little thing that came with the ASIAir?) and got it working.

They're currently up to date on all Nikon and Canon DSLR's and mirrorless cams, so... I dunno. They're iffy on supporting Pentax, and haven't supported Sony because Sony refuses to work with third party developers. There was a delay for a bit there, sure. But I've used my R5 and R6 with the AIR, and seen other people doing it...so traditional style cameras and accessories are most definitely part of the design intent. 1/4x20's a pretty common screw size for a of of astronomy stuff, anyhow. It is a little weird mixing metric with SAE, but eh.

I think most of the drive they have towards using their product is that there's no benefit to them to support other equipment. Trying to support cameras, focusers, etc from other manufacturers just costs them time a development cost, with no real gain. I highly, highly doubt they'd ever try to limit it to a zwo mount if they ever did develop one though. Not only would that make their existing customer base pretty mad, but it would also drastically, drastically lower their sales because the pool of people with a zwo mount would be ridiculously small in comparison.

As far as the dovetail goes, they're typically called synta dovetails.

#9 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 04:42 PM

They're currently up to date on all Nikon and Canon DSLR's and mirrorless cams, so... I dunno. They're iffy on supporting Pentax, and haven't supported Sony because Sony refuses to work with third party developers. There was a delay for a bit there, sure. But I've used my R5 and R6 with the AIR, and seen other people doing it...so traditional style cameras and accessories are most definitely part of the design intent. 1/4x20's a pretty common screw size for a of of astronomy stuff, anyhow. It is a little weird mixing metric with SAE, but eh.

I think most of the drive they have towards using their product is that there's no benefit to them to support other equipment. Trying to support cameras, focusers, etc from other manufacturers just costs them time a development cost, with no real gain. I highly, highly doubt they'd ever try to limit it to a zwo mount if they ever did develop one though. Not only would that make their existing customer base pretty mad, but it would also drastically, drastically lower their sales because the pool of people with a zwo mount would be ridiculously small in comparison.

As far as the dovetail goes, they're typically called synta dovetails.

I haven't seen an SAE screw on anything I've bought except for one cheap dovetail from svbony (which didn't come with screws), but my experience there is limited.

Maybe the post about someone complaining about support on their canon 6dxxx (where the x's were something I hadn't heard of) was old or something. But as I said, it's not that they don't support them, it's just certainly waaaay back on their to-do list.

That's basically what I was saying. If they ever create a mount, they're not going to remove the current support for mounts that are already on there, but stuff like when sky watcher changed the board in the eq6-r pro mount which required a patch on the asiair to get working again is going to take that same backseat on their to-do list. And I would guess it's for the reasons I stated and you reiterated, it doesn't really benefit them to do so until they believe they've sold all the asiair's (or whatever product) they can to the people using all of their stuff.

Thanks for that! Much better to have the actual name than keep calling it "really small vixen shoe/plate, like for guidescopes" :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics