•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USB battery packs that don't shut off for primary cooling...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gridley

Gridley

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central MA, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:14 PM

I recently received my XT10 and this past week built a nice baffle with an 80mm PC fan to attach to cool the primary.  I am using a USB connector to power the fan, but I've found that almost every USB battery I have shuts off automatically after a couple of minutes as it is not sensing enough load.  I have an old 2200mAh pack that seems to work for a while, but not an entire night out and definitely not in the cold.  What's the preferred solution for powering computer fans for this purpose?

Many thanks!

#2 ngatel

ngatel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:08 PM

Do a search for USB keep alive loads.
  • Gridley likes this

#3 Gridley

Gridley

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central MA, USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:26 AM

Do a search for USB keep alive loads.

That was very helpful, thanks much!  Some of them are really complicated, but hopefully I can find something simple. 

#4 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:24 PM

If the battery pack has more than 1 USB output you could plug something else in as well, like your cell phone. That should keep it from shutting down.
  • SteveG and PKDfan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics