•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do I need IR Cut filter for Mak-Cas DSO imaging?

Accessories Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Agreegator

Agreegator

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

I have been imaging DSO objects, mostly smaller galaxies, very low mag stars, binaries, one or two Quasars etc with my 150mm MAK Telescope. 

I recently bought ASI 294MM Pro and while its giving me amazing results and has cut imaging time by a factor of 4 - 5, the star bloat is becoming a big issue with increased sensitivity. I am not using any LRGB filters as I don't care about colours, But I am confused about weather a MAK suffers with IR star bloat or not ? If yes then I'd want to use IR cut, but if not then I don't want to sacrifice IR signals by cutting them out.

Since a MAK has both meniscus + Mirror ... how does it treat the IR? Can it focus IR +RGB at the same point, like a reflector ? Or is it like a Refractor which cannot focus UV/IR with RGB and thus needing an IR Cut filter ? I'm very new to Mono imaging so my apologies if my understanding is incorrect.

My atmospheric conditions are quite bad at the moment so testing the images with/without IR is not helping me out identify which result is better. I'll really appreciate if anyone with experience can guide me please.

Thank you. 

#2 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:04 AM

The Maksutov design generally has extremely low chromatic error. I wouldn’t expect you to need an IR cut filter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics