•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M45 Experts advice wanted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hacienda Heights, Ca

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:37 AM

Looking for some M45 advice. I shoot primarily from my Bortle 8 backyard and really want to tackle M45 this season.  Since using a light pollution filter is out of the question, would this target even be possible? I figured I would give it a shot during a new moon and focus on taking shorter exposures to minimize the sky glow saturating the photos. I am planning to start with 60 second exposures and see what my histogram looks like. Would taking say 6-7 hours worth of 60 second lights reveal the nebulosity around the stars? I have an L-extreme but, correct me if I am wrong, don't thik it would be of much value for this target. Thanks!

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:46 AM

You're correct in that the L-eXtreme is the wrong choice of a filter for this target. It's a reflection nebula. No Ha or O3 emissions.

Integration time is your friend. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, B8 skies are rough for broadband targets like the Pleiades. Also, and I have absolutely zero evidence for this next statement other than gut feeling, 60 second exposures feels too long. Under my B6 skies, 60 seconds is usually the longest I'll shoot with my luminance filter on my setup.

• acommonsoul likes this

#3 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:49 AM

Yeah I know I am in for a challenge with this target. I'll do some trial and error to find a good exposure and then just shoot thousands of photos lol. Maybe I will just shoot for 14 hours of integrations time to try and get nebula to pop.

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#4 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Vostok 1

• Loc: SC, USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:02 AM

Agree with Jonny, assuming f/4.9, 60 second lights are probably a bad idea, but you should experiment. Having shot this unfiltered from B8 as well at f/4.8 I’d suggest 30 seconds is probably More manageable. Mine didn’t turn out how I wanted but was passable for 2 hours of data, I’d say get at least 4-6 and you’ll be happy.

Edited by Ibuprofen200mg, 24 October 2021 - 10:03 AM.

• acommonsoul likes this

#5 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. Gives me somewhere to start. Now I just need some clear skies.

#6 dx_ron

dx_ron

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:20 AM

(Not an expert!) The ASI533 has quite low read noise, so you can stick to 30s subs (as long as you can handle the files and processing). You will have no trouble bringing out the nebulosity. This is one of my earliest astrophotos using a noisy dslr, about 6 hours of 60s unguided subs from a bright inner-suburban sky (about 5 miles straight-line distance from big-city downtown). Good luck! This is a beautiful subject and great fun to make your own photo of.

Attached Thumbnails

• M45_ST.jpg

• acommonsoul likes this

#7 licho52

licho52

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:35 PM

60 seconds at 0 gain is what works with 533MC.

• acommonsoul likes this

#8 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:39 PM

For such a bright target and lots of light pollution a low gain setting is the key to success. If I was in your shoes I'd try just one shot with 30 sec, 1min 1.5min and 2 min and check out how much saturation there is. To keep the number of subs low I'd go for the longest sub exposure possible. I used 4 min subs with a DSLR at ISO 400 and an f/6.5 scope. As your scope is 1.7 times faster I guess 1min or 1.5 min should be fine at low gain.

• acommonsoul likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics