•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Circa 1963 Criterion Dynascope 8-inch on Ebay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Collectors of Criterion telescopes might want to take a look at Ebay advertisement #220034040712, listed as 'Criterion Dynascope 8" deluxe Reflector Telescope.' This model, one of their vintage Masterpiece Series, has the standard bell-shaped pier with removable wooden tripod legs. They do not come on the market all that often. Has a member of cloudy nights inspected that particular scope? Great reference photographs of a relatively rare vintage reflector. I am not the seller of the scope; I only noticed the advertisement on Ebay.

I have heard that these older Criterion Dynascopes are superb optical performers. Is this true? Any other owners of Criterion's Masterpiece Series of Newtonians belong to cloudy nights?

#2 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

I'll tell you what, I sincerely believe that the telescope is a steal for the price he's got it there for. Another thing, he doesn't have a problem with anyone coming over to his place to examine it so I don't think this would be a problem for someone to take this one for collectibility. I had a friend of mine back around 1970 that had one of these, and it was just a fine scope too. I also read somewhere by somebody that tested both the Criterion optics as well as the well respected Cave Optical mirror and found this brand to be just as good.
Somebody is going to get one nice scope!

#3 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Messenger

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

I have scope I built arround a Criterion RV-8 mirror. I searched for about a year to locate one for parts.

This scope is a real appo killer, and a bargan indeed.

#4 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:50 AM

Hello,

This scope was Criterion's top of the line so it should fetch a LOT more than an RV-6, which normally goes for around $300 in good condition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bidding tops $1,000, if the right persons see the add.

Criterion made scopes to 16". I remember looking through their catalog and fantasizing about owning one of their big scopes.
I got my mighty 4" Dynascope in 1963. Those were the days! :thankyou:

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#5 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

When I worked in "ye olde scope shoppe" back in the early 1980's, we had a vintage Criterion Dynascope 10" f/8 for sale.
It had been traded for an SCT by the previous owner.
Huge grey monster of a scope, with the big, hefty metal pier.
The Criterion 10" sat in our store window for well over a year, before somebody decided it was the scope for them. I think we dropped the price quite a bit, too. My memory vaguely remembers $500 CDN as being the final sale.

The buyer was quite a character. He was a "Dead Head" (followed the Grateful Dead) and drove an old Chevy van.
The scope ended up in the back of his van.
Probably modified as a 10" Dyna-bong... :rockon:

But.... that's not the end of the story!
A couple o' years later, the same fellow walked into our shop after a long absence. We hardly recognized him. He was clean-shaven, sporting a haircut, wearing a suit and sounded perfectly sober.
Still had the same van, tho.
He'd had a dramatic change of lifestyle! The 10" Dynascope was in the back of the van. Would we be interested in buying it back?
Unfortunately, we passed on the offer.
The owner of the shop remembered how long the Dynascope had sat in our store window and didn't want to adopt the ol' grey elephant again. :bawling:

Goes to show that 25 years ago, old Newtonians weren't as collectible as they are today.

p.s.,
I really liked that old Criterion 10".
If I'd had a location to use it (or even a place to store such a massive instrument), it would have been a no-brainer purchase.
Hopefully, it's found a happy home and somebody is getting good use out of it. One thing for sure... it's resale value has jumped quite a bit since 1982!

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

>>>Goes to show that 25 years ago, old Newtonians weren't as collectible as they are today.
----

If you look around, find your own private fishing holes, keep the hook in the water, keep your eyes open, strike when the iron is hot, there are deals to be had today...

Jon

#7 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

Hello,

Just a couple of days left and no bids. I do hope someone who can provide a good home for it bids and gets it.

I guess a massive 8" is a bit of a white elephant in this day and age, but for someone with a permanent location it would be a wonderful scope.

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#8 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

At the risk of sounding sacreligious- one *could* make a dob mount for actual use in the field, and keep the pedestal, etc. at home.

Jess Tauber

#9 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

oh OH>>>>OWWW!!!! You have committed a sacrelidge to even think such a thing!!!!
<just kiddin!> :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: ;)

#10 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Collectors of Criterion telescopes might want to take a look at Ebay advertisement #220034040712, listed as 'Criterion Dynascope 8" deluxe Reflector Telescope.' This model, one of their vintage Masterpiece Series, has the standard bell-shaped pier with removable wooden tripod legs. They do not come on the market all that often. Has a member of cloudy nights inspected that particular scope? Great reference photographs of a relatively rare vintage reflector. I am not the seller of the scope; I only noticed the advertisement on Ebay.

I have heard that these older Criterion Dynascopes are superb optical performers. Is this true? Any other owners of Criterion's Masterpiece Series of Newtonians belong to cloudy nights?

I have one of these scopes (GEM is trashed, unfortunately) and it is quite a good performer. I unfortunately don't get to use it much... and am considering selling it.

T

#11 paul

paul

Messenger

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Well it went for $700 with just one bid

#12 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

I live a stones throw from the seller- had even considered going over and looking at it. But I think at this point I need a longer instrument (please no guffaws...). Maybe a nice F/15 refractor or classical Cassegrain. Oh and a bargain 30 inch dob. Maybe I can find one of the big Coulters... Frankly if I had the dough and the room I'd probably have a house full of vintage equipment by now.

Jess Tauber

#13 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

>>>Goes to show that 25 years ago, old Newtonians weren't as collectible as they are today.
----

If you look around, find your own private fishing holes, keep the hook in the water, keep your eyes open, strike when the iron is hot, there are deals to be had today...

Jon

Words from the master.

:grin:

#14 Joel F.

Joel F.

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:46 AM

I had one of those 8" Delux Dynascopes as teenager. I got it in 1961 when I was 13. Great scope, I wish I still had it!!

Right now I have too much back trouble for such a big scope. If I ever get it fixed who knows what I will get!
$700 is cheap if it is in good condition.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

----

Jon

Words from the master.

:grin:

Amen, gentlemen... Amen~!

Followed the Master's words without even knowing it at the
time. Scope is in near pristine shape - all the important
stuff is fine, but it could use a good refurbishing re the
paint (tube) and the usual adjustments. Might also upgrade
a few of the "bolt on"s (i.e. motorized focuser, improved
clock drive motor/geartrain) to more current technology.

You folks often sign off with "Clear Skies"... that's the
one thing we've been short of lately here in VA. Always
clouds or fog or haze. Hoping this winter will be better!

Roy

Attached Thumbnails

• 1213302-DSC00018.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics