•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

80mm Meade/Mizar 320 going gone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:16 PM

A lot of my thinning is taking place unsolicited by me. Such is a fast unexpected departure of my Meade model 320 made by Mizar. It is an excellent scope. This is the best of a few from this line I have had over the years. It is the end of this line for me so a closure of sorts. It includes all the hardware, original box missing some inner padding, but no paperwork that I have found so far. Everything is in very nice condition, dusty to start, but getting cleaned up as I go. Mizar directly retailed their products under their own name as well as providing them rebranded to other retailers. The Meade 320 is known to be an excellent package. All of mine have been. Here it is freshly pulled from the upper scope cluster.  This will be ongoing through the day. I hope to have it out for pickup tomorrow. I'll be wiping down for cosmetics before continuing. The finish, mechanics, and optics are already excellent. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010022 - Copy.JPG

Edited by apfever, 24 October 2021 - 12:21 PM.

• icomet, paul m schofield, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:18 PM

That is a great looking scope.
Someone is going to be very happy.
  • Star.Monger and Bomber Bob like this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:34 PM

I had the Alt- AZ version i bought new in 1986. Super good optics.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

A bit of a snag. I can't find any papers here or online. It should all fit in the box, some pictures or directions for packing would be nice. I did searches and I'm spinning my wheels. I should be able to figure this out but it's not exactly cooperative. 

Anybody have insight to packing instructions, pictures of a packing page, pictures of actual scope in box, memories of how it fits, memories of someone else that knows hot it fits, you get the idea.

Meanwhile, I did the box and peripherals to get them out of the way so I can deal with the scope assembly.  The entire outer shipping box is double corrugated, 40L X 12H X 16W.  This one has an open top inner box. I know some inserts are missing. Stuff on the left is original, stuff on the right is obvious user padding. I tried going by marks in the Styrofoam but it gets too weird for me. I need to get this shipped.  

Original boxes built this heavy duty and in nice shape are hard to find and worth preserving. I'll wrap this one with heavy shipping paper and tape the daylights out of that to help save the original. 

This scope has been a Denver area scope it's whole life. Our high dry climate is one of the best for preservation. Robert Waxman Camera has long been defunct for over 20 years. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010007 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010005 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010010 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010009 - Copy.JPG

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

This is everything for accessories, not counting the finder, polar scope, basic mounted items. There is also an extra set screw with stop for the finder.  The only time I would have used these would have been for the initial first light just to check everything. I don't even remember that at all. These are all excellent, more like new. When I have multiple scopes of the same make and model, I consolidate the best of the sets for posterity sake. 

I like the factories choice of 25mm and 9mm eyepieces. That gives a good spread to accomodate a barlow for 4 focal lengths, 25mm, 12.5mm, 9mm, and 4.5mm.  That 4.5mm idea is a bit tight but would give 200 power while 80mm at 60X per inch is 189 power.  This scope might take it. 

The extra finder set screw is a nice thing. This also has all 6 installed so 7 total. SPecial note is that these are all the common modern M4X0.7 threads. Interesting that the finder set screws on the proprietary Mizar 68mm finder look exactly the same except they are the dreaded M4X0.75 threads. I tried them and they won't swap either way. I checked them both with a tap set. 

The "MEADE" label in the lid was made with reversed adhesive so it could be attached inside the lid instead of on top. Either someone was thinking or they took advantage of a flub. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010012 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010013 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010014 - Copy.JPG

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#6 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:36 PM

The polar scope is a beauty, all metal, both caps and box. I know it is an original Mizar for this mount but I don't know if it was standard with the Meade or if I added it later.  I don't need polar scopes for my viewing so I never used this one. I only checked it for fit. It reminded me of a micro guide eyepiece with all the field print, and there is more in the edges outside the photo view.  Nice thing about these is that the polar scope can be checked with the OTA in any position. No alignment is needed to shoot through the DEC shaft. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010011.JPG
  • P1010001.JPG

• Mr Magoo and Bomber Bob like this

#7 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:57 PM

Assembled as of this morning after a brush vacumm and compressor blow off.  Parts have a wipe down and pictures as they are taken off, but I won't be putting it all back together after that. I goes from here to a nice clean and into the box. Except I need help figuring out how to get it back in the box. It would be nice to have that info here as a reference too. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010016 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010018 - Copy.JPG

• icomet, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#8 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:30 PM

Reversed approach starting with the end.  I'm not a fan of shipping paper but the box did have some loose wear and tear. I kept the tape contact on the box minimal and followed original tape lines. I used 20 pound or 20 dollars worth of tape whichever came last. There a few continous wraps of tape all the way around, including one complete wrap over the label, label is fully taped (fully multi coated:).  I seated the tape with enough fingernail rubbing to not need clipping for a week. Every seam, fold, flaw, and more.

40 lb, 40X16X12 inches.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010014.JPG

Edited by apfever, 27 October 2021 - 03:30 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#9 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:44 PM

I never found the full original packing order but there was plenty of room to makeshift everything. The inner box is spaced over on the OTA side. Counterweight suspended in the white Priority box with foam rubber, then placed in an original brown insert. For those concerned about the use of the inner USPS Priority box, I shipped the whole thing Priority to the tune of well over $100 from Denver to Virginia. 

Peanuts have their uses, the best way to go here. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010011.JPG
  • P1010012.JPG

Edited by apfever, 27 October 2021 - 03:48 PM.

#10 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:03 PM

The finder is a beauty because Mizar used the black safety wraps to protect against sets screw damage. 

Every set screw or susceptible thread is removed. Don't ever leave these installed. Guaranteed issues. 

In the polar cap: smallest is the DEC setting circle screw, medium is focuser lock, large is eyepiece set screw.

Large bolts are azimuth fine tune. Knob is Dec lock. Captive OTA ring knobs bottomed out solid without hitting the OTA so left installed.

Just make sure you remove any questionable threaded items.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010008.JPG
  • P1010010.JPG

• Terra Nova likes this

#11 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:16 PM

This is the correct orientation for the OTA and legs. The rest if funkified but solid. 

Weight in the bottom box, then insterted into the brown wrap by the focuser end.

Tons of bubble in every nitch. 

I did final cleaning as I took it apart. Sorry I couldn't get an assembled picture. The second photo shows typical condition of everything including the objective.

This one is as purty as they get. purrrrrrrrrrrr

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010006.JPG
  • P1010007.JPG

#12 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:28 PM

In closing:

I compared the Meade tray (right) to the 68mm Mizar (left). Both had identical hardware. The Mizar tray has the center bolt left in place using the nickel/brass nut. I don't like this, it suspends the tray off the spreader arms leaving it to flex and bend on only the nut. I assemble the tray solid to the spreader arms and place the washers and nut on top. The Mizar tray shows dimpling around the center nut from being suspended. 

The slo-mo floppies have very thick ends giving lots of thread for the set screws. The screws are full size steel allen bolts with knurled heads. Little concern about typical mushroomed set screws or other issues. Still no need for more than finger tight, and occasional retight during a long session. 

That's all folks. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010004.JPG

#13 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:19 PM

I have the 320 OTA, and nothing else. When I saw it for sale, I grabbed it. 

I  put it on a CG-5 mount, once in awhile. 

Clear Skies. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics