•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New alignment knobs on iOptron CEM40

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

The alignment knobs on the iOptron CEM series are tough to use, especially with gloves or if you have any grip issues. My hands are on the larger side, but otherwise no issues, and I found them annoying to use. 

So after a lot of trial and error with different types of knobs and bolts, including many bolt/knob combos that just didn't work, this is what I arrived at:

You could go smaller on the knobs if you find some you like. The bolt size and knob depth need to be sorted out together so you have full range of motion without hitting the side of the mount, or sticking out too far. Note that a good thing to do would be to round the ends with a file. I haven't done that yet, but it will help with how the screws contact the post.

These don't fit in the hard case (I could cut space for them, but haven't at this point), so I remove them as part of the breakdown when done.

I haven't had any issues with the counterweights hitting these, but I've only had them on for one evening. In the photos, they look like they stick out further than they do. My latitude is usually around 39 degrees. Your mileage may vary. I'll update if I notice anything odd.

Polar alignment with these last night went super fast. I found it much easier to make smaller adjustments than with the original knobs.

51626419660_ed2cd2310a_b.jpg

51626208134_3401c5aaf8_b.jpg

Pete

• Tony Bonanno, bobzeq25, zakry3323 and 1 other like this

#2 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 11:25 PM

I've used these a few times now and they make a huge difference. Also, I slewed all around and had no problems with them in the way.

Between the new knobs and the (ugly as sin, but effective) iPolar app, my polar alignment is much quicker now.

Pete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics