•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Learning Sharpcap need improvement suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 petro62

petro62

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:44 PM

So last night I took some shots of Orion and of the Sculptor galaxy.  I am still learning how to use sharpcap and how to understand gain and all of that.  So here are 2 of my unedited results with sharpcap live stacking.

Equip:

Nexstar 6se

Hyperstar

ASI224MC

Optolong L-Pro

Bortle 8-9

Orion: 409 frames for a total of 43 minutes

Sculptor: 239 frames for a total of 29 minutes (I cut this short to go to bed)

I know it is a very vague question, but I was looking for some pointers.  I know there is equipment that can be improved and upgraded, but that is for a different time.  I am more talking about improvements with the capture program.  Then I still need to learn PixInsight and how to edit in there.  So any helpful tips would be very appreciated.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_409frames_2624s.png

#2 petro62

petro62

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:45 PM

Sculptor Galaxy

Curious why on sharpcap you start getting this box look where you see a clear difference in color?

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_239frames_1745s.png

Edited by petro62, 25 October 2021 - 06:17 AM.

#3 fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Vostok 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 03:30 PM

I think what you are seeing is field rotation. The dark line is the frame from one or few images that were aligned (stacked) in that framing. The green line and everything in that box are stacked images that line up in the framing. You will need to crop out the dark area. The green is a light pollution gradient. 

Your focal length is 1500mm so tracking will be harder for astro so I'd keep the exposures low (30 seconds) especially since that's an alt-az mount. 

Pretty good for what you have as far as the mount. 

I'd suggest try planetary imaging. That scope (1500mm FL +barlow) would be good for that especially that camera. I have the same camera for planetary imaging and got a decent ISS shot.  You basically take high frame rates images and stack those. Also try high res lunar imaging. You'd get some decent results. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics