•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Making the jump to guiding - advice on how far to leap!

Beginner Imaging DSLR
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:06 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's super cool software and works for many, but not as reliable as an ASCOM release. I'd try it if you like to tinker and like beta release type software. Getting a Raspberry Pi got me into making an allskycam and I love. But I don't get the "it just works" thing though for Linux astronomy, glad it does for some though! I'm sure it'll get better and better though. I saw a lot of progress, but I got tired of tracking issues on github and the like.

I found that Astroberry (StellarMate will be the same) was far easier to get running than a Windows PC.  Astroberry has everything you need already loaded, and the base configuration of the system (WiFi Hotspot, Virtual console, etc.) already done.  I never had to dip into github or compile anything from source.  Windows gives you nothing by default, and everything needs to be downloaded, installed, and configured.  Not hard to do, of course, just a lot of little details to work out.  Easy for some, harder than Ikea furniture for others.

System and application updates are also automated with a very good GUI in Synaptic, which maintains consistency among all the ancillary bits and pieces of the applications (all the libraries), so you don't get into "DLL Hell".

None of these systems are turn-key; if you want that, the ASIAir "appliance" is for you.  But a pre-packaged Linux distro like Astroberry and StellarMate takes care of nearly all of the initial system assembly.

#27 ngatel

ngatel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:36 PM

Windows gives you nothing by default, and everything needs to be downloaded, installed, and configured.  Not hard to do, of course, just a lot of little details to work out.  Easy for some, harder than Ikea furniture for others.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

— Robert Heinlein

:-)

• fuadramsey likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Imaging, DSLR

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics