•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Compressed vs Uncompressed vs Lossless Compressed RAW Options

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:50 AM

What is the best option here? I have both my D850 and 810 set to lossless compressed but noticing there can be issues that can perhaps be prevented by just going to uncompressed? I know they say it shouldn't affect anything but astro being a different beast? What do you use? Thinking about big stretches and problem prevention...

https://www.photonst...Compression.htm

Edited by primeshooter, 25 October 2021 - 05:52 AM.

#2 Readerp

Readerp

Messenger

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:31 AM

I haven't noticed any issues with my D810 using 14bit lossless compressed.

What issues have you noticed?

Edited by Readerp, 25 October 2021 - 07:41 AM.

#3 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

I haven't noticed any issues with my D810 using 14bit lossless compressed.

What issues have you noticed?

https://www.cloudyni...ic-rings/page-2

Mark is advising it here (says he never shoots lossy compressed). I know this is about a different camera but space is fine and if I can minimise any potential issues I will. It seems though on further reading lossless compressed is fine?

#4 Readerp

Readerp

Messenger

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:16 AM

Yes lossless compression, is 'loserless', the compressed data is expanded back to the original data when the file is read and uncompressed, at least that's what should happen.

KUDOS to Mark, who even came up with an algorithm to correct the issues with Nikon lossy compression, but this adds a little extra work to the workflow.

These issues were not always noticed,, depending on the exposure level of the lights or flats. 

It would be nice if astrocams came up with a lossless compression algorithm, APS-C files off my 2600MC PRO are huge and FF ones are gigantic.

Edited by Readerp, 25 October 2021 - 08:24 AM.

#5 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:01 AM

Yes lossless compression, is 'loserless', the compressed data is expanded back to the original data when the file is read and uncompressed, at least that's what should happen.

KUDOS to Mark, who even came up with an algorithm to correct the issues with Nikon lossy compression, but this adds a little extra work to the workflow.

These issues were not always noticed,, depending on the exposure level of the lights or flats. 

It would be nice if astrocams came up with a lossless compression algorithm, APS-C files off my 2600MC PRO are huge and FF ones are gigantic.

Thanks, so I am good to shoot LOSSLESS Compressed.

#6 Readerp

Readerp

Messenger

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:11 AM

I would. Never had an issue with my D810 14 bit lossless compressed.

• primeshooter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics