•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Omegon Oberon 82° for APM 100 ED?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bilbao(Spain)

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

Hi,

In the search of eyepieces for my APM 100 ED I found the Omegon Oberon 82° field at 120€. Specifically I'm interested in 7mm one.

What do you think about this eyepieces?

Is it better to get Explore scientific 6.7mm?

ES eyepieces are not the best match for APM binos due to conical shape of barrel bit think this can be fixed by putting some aluminum tape in the barrel so it gets cylindrical shape.

Omegon EPs have straight barrel so they woukd be better for eyepiece centering and 120€ is a good price I think

Thanks in advance

#2 pregulla

pregulla

Messenger

• Loc: Israel

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:54 AM

These look like a rebranded Celestron Luminos. Not sure about 7mm specifically, but the line doesn't have good reputation.

7mm Nirvana might be worth a look as another option

• spaceoddity likes this

#3 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, so Oberon ones, discarded!

#4 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:06 AM

just bite the bullet and buy the TV 7mm Delites.  then your search will be over and done!

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:06 AM

just bite the bullet and buy the TV 7mm Delites. then your search will be over and done!

Kinda narrow. Nothing so far suggests he wears glasses and is looking to sacrifice AFOV for long ER. 7 Nagler would be the obvious comp, for much more money.

That being said, the 7 Luminos is reportedly the best in the series and rather good. The longer FL 2” models drag down the reputation. An ES 6.7 or 7mm UWAN clone might still be a bit better, idk.

A lot depends on your scope. I have the 10 Luminos, considered second best in the series behind the 7mm. It is nearly as sharp as Meade 8.8mm. But here’s the thing. At F10 I honestly can’t tell any difference in optical performance between the 10 Luminos and my 10 Nikon SW. A $120 eyepiece versus a $320 one. Now at F4 I do see a difference. The Nikon is the better eyepiece. But slow scopes are pretty happy with just pretty decent eyepieces. I don’t know what your F ratio is.

Scott
  • happylimpet likes this

#6 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the replies!

It would be for my APM 100 ED f5.5 binos.
Televues are out of my budget and since I have to buy eyepieces duplicated I cannot go to the expensive ones. 300-350€ for the two EPs would be my budget.

Best

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 25 October 2021 - 04:28 PM

That is pretty fast so don’t want to cheap out too much. One option would be go narrower. Like Xcel LX 7mm. It’s about 60 AFOV instead of 80 AFOV, but very well corrected and affordable. You might end up in a spot where you need to decide between an UWA with some edge distortion or a wide angle with great correction, given your price point. But I suspect you would be pretty happy with the 7 Luminos.

Scott

#8 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:57 AM

The minimum AFOV I want is 68°. Will take a look to the Luminos!

#9 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:43 AM

For a while I owned a TV 7mm T6 Nagler, ES 6.7mm 82 degree, and a 7mm Nirvana 82 degree (there are a few other notable rebrands of this one available).  I compared them several times in my 4" F/7 apo. I could not tell a bit of difference between the 3 of them at all in that scope.  All same specs, eye relief, weight, feel, etc.  They are all great if you're fine with 12mm eye relief... can't speak on their performance in a fast newt though.  The Nirvana and rebrands are the best deal.  

• happylimpet likes this

#10 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:08 PM

Interesting to know, from my experience with ES 8.8 and 24 mm think ES are unbeatable for their price. For me the best eyepieces ever made in terms of price/quality ratio

So probably I will get the ES 6.7 ones...

#11 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:22 PM

That seems to be a tightly packed high-ish magnification kit for what is essentially a widefield observing tool, and a very good one. Marcus verifies that here  -  https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11454867

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:26 PM

Interesting to know, from my experience with ES 8.8 and 24 mm think ES are unbeatable for their price. For me the best eyepieces ever made in terms of price/quality ratio

So probably I will get the ES 6.7 ones...

They were just better price/quality ratio when they were $100-150. Still, they are less expensive than TV, and competitive performance (at least in certain focal lengths).

These days it seems most are willing to pay $10 or so more for Morpheus and get long ER.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 26 October 2021 - 04:27 PM.

• CeleNoptic likes this

#13 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:01 AM

Here in Europe/Spain they still cost about 150€ the 82° series for focal lengths below 14mm. A pair of Morpheus costs 500€ and this is SO MUCH for me :'D

#14 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:02 AM

That seems to be a tightly packed high-ish magnification kit for what is essentially a widefield observing tool, and a very good one. Marcus verifies that here - https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11454867

That's true but having the ability to go near 100x is useful for lunar/planetary observing. Also to observe some small planetary Nebulas

#15 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:57 AM

That's true but having the ability to go near 100x is useful for lunar/planetary observing. Also to observe some small planetary Nebulas

The link Havasman provided is good in that Marcus states that the binos, while capable of reaching 100x, are recommended to be used at 'max 60-70x'.  When I bought mine 4 years ago, I thought that I should have a full set of EPs to take me at least near to that.  My highest power were a pair of 65* 8mm Vixen LVWs (69x) I briefly had a pair of 6.7mm ES82's but found the exit pupil too small for my bobbing head to deal with.  Over the years, fewer and fewer EPs get put in the APM focusers.  2 weeks ago I attended a big star party and brought the APMs.  I had my full kit of EP's (30mm Celestron Ultimas, 22mm Vixen LVWs, 18mm APM UFF, 15mm APM UFF, 11mm TV Delites).  the only ones that got used were the 22mm LVWs (25x) and the 30mm Ultimas (17x).  Targets were M31/M110, M33, M45, Double Cluster, M24, M6 and M7, M8 and M20 in the same FOV, M16 and M17 in the same FOV, and others. People would walk up for a look, gasp at the DC or M16 and 17 in the same FOV and then when they could pull themselves away, immediately go get their friends and family and drag them over.  It was almost funny the reactions people had with the wide field, low mag views that the APMs put up under dark skies.  Many of them were experienced amateur astronomers. My most memorable view of all time with these wonderful instruments was 2 years ago in the Nevada desert with some friends on a dark sky trip.  M31 at 17x filled the EP from edge to edge, arms and dust lanes visible, just like an astrophoto. It was an emotional experience.

You can use your binos for whatever you want, but you have better tools for doing 100x than the APMs.  And IMO, you are overlooking the specific job that these these wonderful instruments were designed for - low mag, wide field astronomy.

• havasman, happylimpet and ihf like this

#16 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Soyuz

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:25 PM

They were just better price/quality ratio when they were $100-150. Still, they are less expensive than TV, and competitive performance (at least in certain focal lengths).

These days it seems most are willing to pay $10 or so more for Morpheus and get long ER.

Scott

Depends on the binos used. I have a friend who tried several pairs of Morpheus ep's in his bino and none of them reach focus.

Something to consider.

#17 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:16 AM

Mike, my main goal with this instrument was (and is) for deepsky widefield views, and some DSO mid mag views (like small planetary nebula and globular clusters.
I was amazed a couple of weeks ago with the views of Double cluster. I could see this object in "real" 3D. Some optical illusion made me to have the impression that the stars were not all in the same plane but in different layers, so the central part of both clusters appeared like being behind background stars. Very nice effect. M81 and M82 were amazing with Hyperion 13mm amd Andromeda was amazing.

Thing is that one reason that justified to get the ED version was to be able to go to higher magnification for some planetary and lunar observing, but from what I've been reading this is not the ideal for this instrument. So if this instrument is used only for what is designed for (low mag) maybe there was no point on spending the extra 1000€ that ED versión costs. Hope at least this will be reflected in more coerected bright star colors and for some casual high mag (>110x) planetary viewing in "cyclope" mode.

Miranda, I've read that Baader Mark IV zooms do not reach focus with some 100EDs,and this is the case of my unit as I could test a month ago with a friend's Baader zoom EP. Didn't know this same applies for Morpheus EPs, so it's good to know that maybe Morpheus EPs will not reach focus in my unit...

Edited by Bosco, 28 October 2021 - 12:17 AM.

#18 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:37 AM

The field stop for Morpheus 14mm and shorter is at the shoulder which is still a normal position (IIRC same as Pentax XW) 

https://www.baader-p...hnical_data.pdf

It is at +2.5mm for 17.5mm, which may cause trouble.

#19 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:13 AM

Why do you talk about field stop? Is there any relation between field stop and focal point of an eyepiece?

#20 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 29 October 2021 - 12:27 AM

Why do you talk about field stop? Is there any relation between field stop and focal point of an eyepiece?

Good question. They are not the same but often used exchangeably. The field stop is the limiting circle around the focal plane which lies orthogonal to the focal point. As seen from the side all three are at the same height from the shoulder.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics