•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Latest Losmandy g11g Guiding Performance?

Mount Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago/Boston

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:10 PM

Hello,

Not trying to raise a lot of debates here, just wondering if someone could share their experience with the latest Losmandy g11g with guiding. I thought the new one piece worm gear and spring load eliminate the backlash (and other) potential issues, but I still find posts about the "76 second RA error" of g11g while searching around here and groups.io. Is this still a potential pain with the latest Losmandy mount? If so, will the Belleville washer alleviate the problem?

My goal is to take long exposure (5 minutes) images with 8'' SCT + 0.63x reducer with OAG + ASI174MM mini guiding. I guess severe 76 second RA error that can't be dealt with using PEMpro may be an issue at 1280mm focal length.

Thank you and clear skies!

Wen

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:21 PM

Have you posted here?
https://groups.io/g/...dy_users/topics

#3 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

Using PHD2 Multi-Star and OAG, my ES G11 (PMC-8) has guided ~0.4-0.5", and I have used exposures as long as 8 min.  Previously, using PHD2 single star and 60mm guidescope, 0.7" was my best, with 0.9-1.1" being typical.

The ES G11 (PMC-8) does not have the normal gear box, but instead is direct coupled to stepper motors.

#4 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:11 PM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've looked through some groups.io posts regarding this, but have been quite confused by different opinions about the new g11g guiding performance. I might post the same question there as well.

Best,

Wen

#5 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:13 PM

Using PHD2 Multi-Star and OAG, my ES G11 (PMC-8) has guided ~0.4-0.5", and I have used exposures as long as 8 min.  Previously, using PHD2 single star and 60mm guidescope, 0.7" was my best, with 0.9-1.1" being typical.

The ES G11 (PMC-8) does not have the normal gear box, but instead is direct coupled to stepper motors.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for sharing your experience! The guiding performance you have with multi-star sounds superior! I hope the spring load worm gear has similar performance.

Best,

Wen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics