•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES Zero X 2” Field Flattener - available in North America?

Equipment Imaging Optics
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starrycanuck

starrycanuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

I’ve come across what seems to be a new 2” field flattener for Explore Scientific ED80 and ED102 scopes that ES claims will support full frame cameras. Here is the link on the Bresser site https://www.bresser....-ED102-APO.html. I’ve also see it on the Harrison Telescope site in the UK but I cannot find it anywhere in North America (including on ES’ own websites).

I called ES’ store in Arizona but they knew *nothing* about it (and didn’t even seem to recognize it at all). 

Has anyone seen this flattener in the wild and does anyone know if/when North America sales will start?

#2 haleakala

haleakala

Lift Off

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:42 PM

This looks promising. I would like to add this to my recently acquired ES 80EDT, but no one seems to have it that is shipping to the USA.

#3 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:50 AM

I use it on my 102. It is really good. Only tested with aps-c though.

#4 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 11 December 2021 - 06:08 AM

A word of advice. When you see a mass produced, cheap (relatively) astronomical item, where the company claim things about full frame, don't take it seriously. With this specific one, they don't even give proper specs. Getting fully corrected ff is tough. There are no free meals in this hobby.
  • rockstarbill likes this

#5 starrycanuck

starrycanuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:13 AM

A word of advice. When you see a mass produced, cheap (relatively) astronomical item, where the company claim things about full frame, don't take it seriously. With this specific one, they don't even give proper specs. Getting fully corrected ff is tough. There are no free meals in this hobby.

Agreed but would be interesting to gets hands on a sample.

However, it is disconcerting that Explore Scientific North America doesn't seem to have any knowledge or insight into an ES branded product being sold in Europe (presumably out of Bresser?).

#6 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2021 - 12:31 PM

Again, I have not tried full frame only aps-c. But this is not like the unbranded 1x flatteners sold by ES before. I have got the two previous versions I am not happy with. So for me it really solves a problem.

The 55mm backfocus seems to be correct.

IMG-8553.jpg

Edited by PederP, 12 December 2021 - 12:32 PM.

#7 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Gemini

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 12 December 2021 - 01:34 PM

Following on to what Eyal wrote, watch out for what is written, because manufacturers tend to use extremely disingenuous terminology in their marketing materials. Take for example William Optics. Their 6AIII flattener marketing materials and charts very clearly show that it works with a full frame sensor. However, when confronted about it directly after testing proved it did not, William Optics stated that it would only correct up to APS-C. No changes have been made to their website to point this out, however.

#8 haleakala

haleakala

Lift Off

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:15 PM

Since I am in the market for a FF for a newly acquired ES ED80, I tracked a Zero-X down from Bresser's UK outlet (Telescopehouse.com). By email, they agreed to ship me one which I expect in the next few days. 

I also shoot APS-C, but will report back with my results.

#9 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2021 - 02:34 PM

I found this. https://explorescien...-specifications

Since I am in the market for a FF for a newly acquired ES ED80, I tracked a Zero-X down from Bresser's UK outlet (Telescopehouse.com). By email, they agreed to ship me one which I expect in the next few days. 

I also shoot APS-C, but will report back with my results.

I found this. https://explorescien...-specifications

Looks like your telescope may cause some significant vignetting no matter your choice of flattener?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Imaging, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics