•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Missing Telrad Dew Shield Bolt. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Concord, NH

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:06 PM

I thought I would post this here before I go scrounging around hardware stores or the internet looking for a replacement. A small bolt and accompanying washer got loose and fell off my Telrad dew shield and cannot find it. Has anyone been through this and found a replacement?

Clear skies,

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• telrad 1-min.jpg
  • telrad 2-min.jpg

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:22 PM

probably either an 8-32 or 6-32, 1/4".  just pop the other one off and head down to your local hardware store and match it up if you can't find a spare around the house.  the slotted heads are a bit out of date; I would replace them both with Phillips heads or allen heads.  when you replace it, use some low strength thread locker so that when the hood goes up and down, the screw stays locked in location and doesn't work itself out again.  whatever you do, don't use high strength!

• mfoose likes this

#3 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:20 AM

probably either an 8-32 or 6-32, 1/4".  just pop the other one off and head down to your local hardware store and match it up if you can't find a spare around the house.  the slotted heads are a bit out of date; I would replace them both with Phillips heads or allen heads.  when you replace it, use some low strength thread locker so that when the hood goes up and down, the screw stays locked in location and doesn't work itself out again.  whatever you do, don't use high strength!

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing with a low strength loctite. Great idea with replacing them with a different head.

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:21 AM

cap001.jpg cap002.jpg cap003.jpg

The last one isn't very clear - I measured it at 1/4 inch long 32TPI size 6

• mfoose likes this

#5 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:51 PM

6-32x1/4.  easy to find in any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, whatever. you could even splurge for stainless steel.  probably cost $0.50 for both.

• mfoose and wrvond like this

#6 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Thanks! I will pick some up this week and some weak loctite.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics