•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fungus in Meade LX200R

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MICKYP

MICKYP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:18 AM

Hi just wondering if anyone could give advise regarding fungus. I’m looking at purchasing an LX200R however there is patches fungus on the mirror and front glass. Maybe 20 or so spots on each surface. Is it worth staying away from this purchase or can the fungus be removed with out damage? I’m concerned regarding future fungus attack and damage to the optics after it’s cleaned. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Cheers Mick

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:52 AM

Usually it can be cleaned without damage to the optics -- I've cleaned fungus off a few optics without trouble.  Normal cleaning process works fine.  You can use 91% alcohol on the glass parts.

I might be concerned whether you can remove all of the fungus inside the scope (metal parts, plastics), so as to avoid future repeat.  I personally don't have long-term experience with that.  Maybe wiping the inside of the tube with Lysol cleaner or something like that would kill it.  Strong alcohol might damage paint and plastics.  Keeping the interior of the scope dry in the future will help avoid a repeat.

Edited by ngc7319_20, 26 October 2021 - 03:38 AM.

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:02 AM

Usually it can be cleaned without damage to the optics -- I've cleaned fungus off a few optics without trouble.  Normal cleaning process works fine.  You can use 91% alcohol on the glass parts.

I might be concerned whether you can remove all of the fungus inside the scope (metal parts, plastics), so as to avoid future repeat.  I personally don't have long-term experience with that.  Maybe wiping the inside of the tube with Lysol cleaner or something like that would kill it.  Strong alcohol might damage paint and plastics.  Keeping the interior of the scope dry in the future will help avoid a repeat.

I'd be concerned about crevices between corrector and mounting rings, central tube/primary mirror, etc.  I think unless it's really good price it would be a pass.  You probably need to completely dissemble to be sure of getting it all to avoid recurrance.

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:48 AM

If fungus has developed it needs to be nipped in the bud immediately. It literally eats coatings and etches glass.  

Proper treatment in a telescope is easier than a camera lens since the telescope can be disassembled much easier.  It should be fully disassembled, optics cleaned and allowed to completely dry and inspected for any damage to coatings/glass.  The entire telescope should be treated properly to remove any fungus and spores and to keep it from re-developing.  

If fungus is on all optical surfaces I would expect the price to be severely discounted to the point where I would value based on being recoated as the worst case scenario.  

If you're not up for handling such a possibility pass as fungus is not a common occurrence except on instruments not well cared for. 

In tropical climates fungus does happen if equipment is left in moisture rich environments.  Using desiccants, regular basic cleaning, and proper storage methods can prevent or limit issues.  

#5 MICKYP

MICKYP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for your replies it’s much appreciated. It’s actually not too bad but I will clean it up that’s for sure. It’s definitely a problem where I live in the Nth Queensland humidity!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics