•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark Nebula Processing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rockinrod

Rockinrod

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:33 AM

Y'all know of any links where one can get some pointers on Dark nebula Processing? I use Photoshop and Lr...Little different animal than your usual HA/OIII RGB objects.

Thanks,

Rod

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:50 AM

Rod, 

The key to good dark nebula images is a very strong Lum channel. Also make sure to not push the blacks hard because much of the detail in a dark nebula is very elegant and diffuse, many people push the black and clip a lot of that good details. 

Attached Thumbnails

• B174_CN.jpg

#3 Rockinrod

Rockinrod

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:12 PM

Rod, 

The key to good dark nebula images is a very strong Lum channel. Also make sure to not push the blacks hard because much of the detail in a dark nebula is very elegant and diffuse, many people push the black and clip a lot of that good details. 

Maybe I'm processing it wrong in APP. I'm using the HA-OIII Color option. There's no Luminance Algorithm in the database. I'm imaging using an IR-Cut filter too. I know being in a dark site is the key, but I'm trying to make do in my Bortle 4 sky..

I have a bit over 8 hours worth of data now, but I'm having to deal with processing out this darn light pollution...This is after 4 hours integration time. Working on the 8.03 hour one now. I plan on capturing at least 15 hours of data on this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• Shark_Nebula_74_Lights_120G-PS 1.jpeg

Edited by Rockinrod, 26 October 2021 - 12:17 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics