•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filter Wheel and Unmounted Filter Shipping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Metro Atlanta

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:36 AM

I sold my filter wheel and the filters in it. Unmounted filters being the pain they are, should I leave them in the wheel? 

#2 ryanha

ryanha

Apollo

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:17 PM

I sold my filter wheel and the filters in it. Unmounted filters being the pain they are, should I leave them in the wheel? 

I would ask the buyer what they prefer.

Probably it is fine to ship them as-is, though would certainly be a bummer if one of those little screws backed out during the vibration of transit and bounced around on the filters.

FWIW, when I sold my filters I thoroughly cleaned them and then put them back in the original packaging.

When selling used gear I like to go the extra mile to make sure the buyer is happy with the purchase, so cleaned filters free of dust motes I think is part of that.

--Ryan

• darkstar3d likes this

#3 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:47 PM

I would ask the buyer what they prefer.

He deferred to me. smile.gif

Probably it is fine to ship them as-is, though would certainly be a bummer if one of those little screws backed out during the vibration of transit and bounced around on the filters.

This was my plan. I may check the tightness of the screws. 

FWIW, when I sold my filters I thoroughly cleaned them and then put them back in the original packaging.

When selling used gear I like to go the extra mile to make sure the buyer is happy with the purchase, so cleaned filters free of dust motes I think is part of that.

I wish manufacturers had the same idea. The filters arrived slightly soiled when brand new. frown.gif

Thanks for the response!

#4 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

My (new) unmounted filters came each wrapped in lintfree paper, each in their own individual plastic case, each case vacuum sealed in plastic and labelled.

Avoiding the buyer having to figure out orientation in the wheel, you may want to put each in the packaging with "camera side up" for example

From a shipping safety perspective, this would seem safest, very little chance of filter damage if the shippers company name rhymes with "Ooops"

• darkstar3d likes this

#5 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:48 PM

I removed them from the wheel. What were tight screws in February, weren't so tight anymore. Still snug, but I'm glad I followed the advice. I put them back in their wax like paper, in foam lined plastic cases, back into the paper box with all the specs on them. 

• Benschop likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics