•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC 59 & 63 w/vintage DS 16 Newt.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimegger

jimegger

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Palmer,Alaska

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:47 AM

This image of IC 59 and 63 was taken with a modded Canon 6D at ISO 400 stacking 7 frames of 3 minutes each. I used my 1986 Meade DS 16 inch reflector still with the synchronous motor drive. Guiding was manually using a built in off axis guider with a variable frequency motor control - just like in the days past.

I recall using this scope with cooled film in a cold camera as well as a regular OM 1 camera with gas hypered film. Back then this was the ultimate light bucket !

Attached Thumbnails

• IC 59 & 63 layered enhanced cropped resize.jpg

Edited by jimegger, 26 October 2021 - 11:47 PM.

• mikewayne3, deepwoods1, aaube and 5 others like this

#2 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:54 AM

Beautiful shot! I'd love to have that cold-camera, though...😉! Great picture to share taken with such an instrument.

CS, Ralph😁

Edited by ram812, 26 October 2021 - 11:54 AM.

• jimegger likes this

#3 Pompey Monkey

Pompey Monkey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:26 PM

So you can only hold your breath for 3 minutes? ;)

Excellent old-school work!

• jimegger and ram812 like this

#4 jimegger

jimegger

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:25 PM

Beautiful shot! I'd love to have that cold-camera, though...! Great picture to share taken with such an instrument.

CS, Ralph

The cold camera was a Jack Newton special from around the early 1990's late 1980's time. It used dry ice and a clear plug to hold the film against the aluminum cold foot. It worked pretty good with Ectachrome 400 or Fujifilm 400 either slide or regular print. Gas hypered Fujichrome 100 was especially good after soaking for 7.5 hours in a Lumicon gas chamber. It was very fast and fine grained as well as red sensitive. 

• Pompey Monkey and ram812 like this

#5 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:04 AM

The cold camera was a Jack Newton special from around the early 1990's late 1980's time. It used dry ice and a clear plug to hold the film against the aluminum cold foot. It worked pretty good with Ectachrome 400 or Fujifilm 400 either slide or regular print. Gas hypered Fujichrome 100 was especially good after soaking for 7.5 hours in a Lumicon gas chamber. It was very fast and fine grained as well as red sensitive.

I've seen a picture or 2 on line taken with this type of kit. Blows me away. The OTA isn't something used regular, either😁. That type of guiding is rather tricky, but the reward for all your tuning sure came out worthy. Thanks for sharing and one can only look forward to more images (If you share them😁😉!) Good day! Ralph

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:39 PM

Man! You remind me of the frustrations I had with a DS16. Only you succeeded where I didn't. Great persistence!

Michael

• jimegger likes this

#7 jimegger

jimegger

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2021 - 12:09 AM

Man! You remind me of the frustrations I had with a DS16. Only you succeeded where I didn't. Great persistence!

Michael

To be frank about using the DS 16 now, it has a different worm gear on it and a fiberglass tube instead of the old sonotube. I machined a focuser with an off axis guider on it to make guiding easier and more accurate. Other than that the mount and mirror etc. are original. It actually tracks really well and the images are sharp. I use a vintage Lumicon frequency controller fo setting the tracing speed and corrections. It all works very efficiently !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics