•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does ASIAir make Pegasus largely unnecessary?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Naptown Larry

Naptown Larry

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:10 PM

ASIAir provides you with 4-output 12vdc distribution and a USB hub. The only thing is doesn't provide yet are few heater outputs.

Has anyone that's running an ASIAir come across a setup that reeeally requires the added expense of a Pegasus powerbox on top of it?

Edited by Naptown Larry, 26 October 2021 - 12:11 PM.

#2 daveco2

daveco2

Ranger 4

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:41 PM

I use my AsiAir on a CEM40 with ability to run cables down the DEC axis and out the bottom, which is what I do with the two heaters I use for two scopes mounted in tandem. 

That's a clean setup, and avoids any potential problems with high heater draw. Everything else runs off the Air Pro.

In any case, I don't see a big deal routing a single heater cable off a mount in the conventional manner, as I used to do.

#3 Beaverpond Astro

Beaverpond Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Ontario

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:41 PM

Not a Powerbox, but I do pair the ASIAirPro with a Pegasus Dewmaster for dew control.  The Dew Master is plugged into one of the AAP 12v ports.

And, when using on my CEM120, I run power to the AAP through the provided internal 12volt port on the mount's dovetail plate.

So no power cables running up to the scope or accessories.

The only cable running from the AAP (which sits on the dovetail plate) down to the main panel on the mount is the mount control USB cable.  I could run an internal USB cable through the mount to the AAP, but haven't done that yet.

William Optics GT153/GT81/Sony A7S/GS61 sitting on CEM120

Edited by Beaverpond Astro, 26 October 2021 - 12:43 PM.

#4 Sean1980

Sean1980

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

I look it at the other way around the Pegasus makes the asiair no longer needed. I prefer the small fanless pc combined with Pegasus for much greater control of all things scope side.

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

Just various options, various individual choices.

#6 maheitka

maheitka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

I thought of having a Pegasus Advance box but than compared it to AAP and found nearly everything was included. 4x12 DC (enough power for CEM40, ASI2600MC Pro and AAP Wifi Repeater), 2x USB 3.0 for both cameras, 2x USB for EFW and focuser, CEM40 is attach via Wifi, and a temperature sensor (although the Advance box has a humidity sensor, too). So all in all - just what I need. And to talk about dew heater - ASI provides a Y-cable to attach heater, and even has a complete pack. AAP supports that directly.

So, for "daily" business I only use AAP. Only when it's about more complex action I use a W10 mini-PC and sometimes a RPi with Astroberry. In such situations AAP is used as a powerbox!

#7 NotThatChuck

NotThatChuck

Lift Off

• Loc: Monroeville, Pennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:06 PM

I use an AAP with a Pegasus PPB.  External power goes to the PPB, which runs two dew heaters (imaging scope and guide scope), and then also provides 12v power to the AAP.  AAP then runs cameras, EFW, EAF, and mount. 

I know the AAP can technically run the dew heaters too, but from what I can tell, it doesn't have the automatic control that the PPB provides (with the attached temp/humidity sensor).

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:31 PM

ASIAir provides you with 4-output 12vdc distribution and a USB hub. The only thing is doesn't provide yet are few heater outputs.

Has anyone that's running an ASIAir come across a setup that reeeally requires the added expense of a Pegasus powerbox on top of it?

It also doesn't provide you with a way to run any astro cameras that aren't ZWO.  

Me, I own all ZWO cameras currently (other than DSLRs).  For lots and lots of others...that simple fact means the ASIAIR is completely worthless.

I also prefer miniPCs to the ASIAIR for the flexibility, speed, and software choices available -- which are, once again, not an option on the ASIAIR.  They are options on the Pegasus as well.

There's nothing wrong with the ASIAIR.  As long as you keep things fairly simple, don't have any observatory items to control/attach, only use ZWO cameras, etc.  But it's far from the be-all and end-all of astrophotogrpahy control hardware.  Far from it.

#9 maheitka

maheitka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:42 PM

@OldManSky: you're right with ZWO equipment. That's one reason why I sometimes use a mini-PC or an Astroberry. Both support different focusers and rotators, e.g. in mosaic sessions. But I still love to do full AAP sessions, sitting in my living room, watching things happening...

• OldManSky likes this

#10 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

@OldManSky: you're right with ZWO equipment. That's one reason why I sometimes use a mini-PC or an Astroberry. Both support different focusers and rotators, e.g. in mosaic sessions. But I still love to do full AAP sessions, sitting in my living room, watching things happening...

Nothing wrong with that. And if you have all-compatible equipment the AAP can do that well.

But just so you know, I do that every clear night with my miniPC, too. :)

Lots of ways to “win” in this hobby!

• Astronut07 likes this

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:59 AM

I thought of having a Pegasus Advance box but than compared it to AAP and found nearly everything was included. 4x12 DC (enough power for CEM40, ASI2600MC Pro and AAP Wifi Repeater), 2x USB 3.0 for both cameras, 2x USB for EFW and focuser, CEM40 is attach via Wifi, and a temperature sensor (although the Advance box has a humidity sensor, too). So all in all - just what I need. And to talk about dew heater - ASI provides a Y-cable to attach heater, and even has a complete pack. AAP supports that directly.

So, for "daily" business I only use AAP. Only when it's about more complex action I use a W10 mini-PC and sometimes a RPi with Astroberry. In such situations AAP is used as a powerbox!

In northern Arizona we are are entering the window where dew (or more likely frost) can be an issue.

I'm slightly concerned inasmuch as the AAP does not appear to control the current to the dew strap. It would be running at full power (1.3 amps IIRC) when plugged into the AAP. In all likelihood, overkill for my conditions. Adding that on top of everything else could conceivable put me close to the maximum amps during a slew.

OTOH, my camera cooler is only running at about 20% power this time of year. That is very helpful, and I can always restrict the maximum slew speed on the mount without any real pain.

If problems crop up I was considering taking my old (and I do mean old) Kendrick controller and replacing the input cord with a short RCA cable and plugging into the AAP. This would enable me to use the Kendrick controller to regulate the heat of the strap, reducing the power draw.

To stay On Topic, no I don't believe I will be needing the Pegasus. It would be easier (and cheaper) just to off-load the dew strap to a separate battery and let it cook all night.

Edited by Jeff Morgan, 27 October 2021 - 01:02 AM.

#12 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:55 AM

You don't have to sell your soul to ZWO to do that though. The ASI Air forces you to use products they make, only where they have a product to sell you. They are more than happy to include Indi drivers for products they don't make so they can sell you a box.

I would decouple myself from them ASAP. Asking for nothing but headaches and trouble.

Edited by rockstarbill, 27 October 2021 - 03:56 AM.

• doole likes this

#13 Naptown Larry

Naptown Larry

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:28 AM

It seems like ZWO has simply adopted the Apple model of ecosystem marketing. Not necessarily a bad thing if you like ZWO products and pricing.

#14 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:07 AM

Checking my dew strap tonight - different plug style - I can not power directly into the AAP.

So after leaving the midwest 20+ years ago, my old Kendrick controller came out of retirement tonight. Powered separately from the AAP.

• Naptown Larry likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics