•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light for the new mount, W Veil Nebula

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:52 PM

After almost a year imaging with a tracker, I finally have a goto mount, I'm budget here so EQ6-R Pro it was. Mount was easy enough to learn, I just use ASIair Pro so haven't even got the hand controller out of the box yet. Biggest challenge was how to mount everything. You'd think it would be easier to mount but all my gear is photography stuff and currently mounted to arca-swiss and the like. I could actually clamp the arca-swiss plate into the saddle, but it was just the edge of the clamp catching in the small groove of the arca-swiss plate so not ideal, and even with a long plate the EQ6-R clamp area is so huge I had to image a bit unbalanced so the guide camera would clear.

I was mainly interested in testing out my Canon 500mm lens first, as it was a bit overweight on my SkyGuider Pro and my stars showed some distortions. Everyone was quick to blame the mount, and I am sure that contributed, but the distortions were not even across the frame so I was pretty sure there was more going on than just an overloaded mount. Long exposures still had some trailing too, even with guiding under .5 rms so figured it must be some differential flexture and came up with the easiest solution for now, carved a plastic block with radius of lens and secured to the plate. Around the lens I just used velcro strap to secure lens to block. I am sure there must be a better way, but anyhow it seems that mostly fixed the trailing since some areas of the image have round stars and now left with just the other distortions.

I'm also guiding with perhaps a weird combo... my 30mm mini guidscope and ASI120 mini was in use still on my SkyGuider, so I decided to put one of the several other lenses I have as well as ASI178mc to guiding duty. There was little info available about guiding with camera lenses, and little about color 178mc but the few discussions I read said it works fine so I tried. Guiding seemed fine, generally around .5" with maybe some periods up around 1". My setup isnt perfectly balanced, but pretty close. To mount the 500mm lens and 135mm guider I decided on side-by-side config and a big losmandy plate sideways. Unfortunately the holes didn't line up perfectly, so both the guider and main lens are mounted on thier own plate that I could position better balanced and then bolt down on the losmandy plate. Still limited by available holes, but I'm within like .5" of the balance point. I'll have to think of something a little better, but this was just to get me going. And dang those plates are way more expensive than arca swiss, with less features!

Here is my side-by-side configuration:

5qC6oObh.jpg

And my first completed session:

58q07UM.jpg

The Canon 100D certainly isn't the best camera out there, but I'm happy to get the image. Goto certainly is nice too, though to be honest my SkyGuider with the WO wedge is nicer to adjust a dial in, and I can manually goto in just a few minutes using the ASIair built in plate solving.

More details and better quality of course on astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/nlqnuq/B/

It seems in my last couple sessions this DIY modified Canon 100D has produced out of focus corner. I may have introduced some tilt when I adjusted the sensor. Maybe I need to image with one of my other cameras to rule out camera issues to better evaluate the lens. I believe the lens exhibits some coma, but there is just a lot going on in the image. If anyone wants to inspect my weird stars more closely, here is a lesser edited version before star reduction: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Thats the output from Siril after stacking, color cal, background extraction and stretch. No further editing other than convert to lightly compressed jpg

I plan on getting an AT115EDt to replace the Canon 500mm lens, though the AT is a bit smaller and slower, hopefully it will perform better and save me some money. But I haven't yet given up hope for the 500mm canon. And still waiting on that Astro tech, for months and months.

On a-bin I also have a prior version, where I did it the more common red/blue hue but I went back and did a re edit so that Oiii is more its natural teal color and decided I like that one better. But both versions are on abin.

• DaveD, Jim Waters, mikewayne3 and 12 others like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:57 PM

Sorry for the non-image question but I'm a dolt when it comes to AP.

Does your camo colder-holder on the dew shield make any difference with dew prevention? I've wondered about a wrap of Reflectix on a refractor dew shield but have not tried it.

#3 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:10 AM

Sorry for the non-image question but I'm a dolt when it comes to AP.

Does your camo colder-holder on the dew shield make any difference with dew prevention? I've wondered about a wrap of Reflectix on a refractor dew shield but have not tried it.

Hmm, good question! I'm not really sure. Dew is almost always an issue here, and I almost always have to run a lens warmer around the front element, so not sure if the camo lens wrap is really doing much. This lens came with wraps to cover all pieces of the lens camo for wildlife photography, but I didn't really care for the look and a couple of the pieces were a pain to install so I just left it the way it was with the big hood wrapped in camo. For the rest I have a simple camo sleeve that goes from the hood all the way to the back - its actually a 'neck gaitor' or half face mask, but basically just a tube shape of camo material. That's much easier to just slip over everything when I go birding. Perhaps it'd be helpful under lighter dew conditions to use a less powerful lens heater.

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:33 AM

Beautiful image!

Michael

• T~Stew likes this

#5 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:06 PM

Wow, that's a neat setup you have! And a nice image by the way!

I personally find the Canon SL models to be among the best bodies for small and light imaging rigs.

Max

• T~Stew likes this

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:20 PM

Nice shot and render.

That's an interesting rig, I just saw someone else who posted that 135mm bracket system. Although your cables are nicely tucked, you could get some short cables for your guide cam, as well as the Canon. Makes everything super neat. I got them for all my cameras that take standard USB cables that I hook up to my Astroberry setup, helps to keep bulk out of the wind too.

Attached Thumbnails

• cables.jpg

Edited by vidrazor, 27 October 2021 - 08:25 PM.

• T~Stew likes this

#7 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:41 PM

Here I was talking about the new mount and didn't even show a picture of it in action! Here is a shot with the same Canon lens from above, but this time without the guiding and with double teleconverters attempting to get Jupiter. From that angle, it looks actually big compared the the EQ6 lol! Hard to believe I was just using it on a SkyGuider. I tell ya, that SkyGuider was the little mount that could. Hoping the Eq6 will be as worthy!

VFDybkoh.jpg

Nice shot and render.

That's an interesting rig, I just saw someone else who posted that 135mm bracket system. Although your cables are nicely tucked, you could get some short cables for your guide cam, as well as the Canon. Makes everything super neat. I got them for all my cameras that take standard USB cables that I hook up to my Astroberry setup, helps to keep bulk out of the wind too.

Yes eventually I'll consider buying sized cables, but this was just a thrown together quick rig... I really had no idea if using the Rokinon 135mm and that color cam for guiding would work, and I need to make some adjustments to get the balance spot on still. My plan was to get an Astro-tech refractor as well as a big newt, so using this setup just temporarily.

• vidrazor likes this

#8 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:51 PM

That is a fine fine image...  Goals !!

Good work..
Nice Rig ! 

Clear Skies !!

#9 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:00 AM

Here I was talking about the new mount and didn't even show a picture of it in action! Here is a shot with the same Canon lens from above, but this time without the guiding and with double teleconverters attempting to get Jupiter. From that angle, it looks actually big compared the the EQ6 lol! Hard to believe I was just using it on a SkyGuider. I tell ya, that SkyGuider was the little mount that could. Hoping the Eq6 will be as worthy!

I find the SkyGuider Pro to be superior to the dual axis iExos 100 mount I had purchased in many respects. And yes, it's amazing what you can put on it. I couldn't put this 102mm f/7 rig on my iExos 100, but it perfectly balanced on my SkyGuider Pro. grin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• svbony mounted.jpg

Edited by vidrazor, 28 October 2021 - 12:04 AM.

• F.Meiresonne and T~Stew like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics