•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chromebooks and Imaging

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mjritchie

mjritchie

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

Greetings! With the holiday season coming up and all those Black Friday sales, I was wondering what the capabilities of a Chromebook are for capturing images at a telescope for later processing on a pc. I don't need the Chromebook to actually stack frames, or process. I'm not even sure if they have the capability to. I currently have a homebrewed mallencam type device, with a usb adapter for the video feed, can a Chromebook capture the files?

I'm also looking into maybe getting a SvBony 305, can it connect to a Chromebook or would that require a dedicated windows device?

I'm not using it to control the scope, autoguide, or any high end stuff.

Thanks for any info.

Mark

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:39 PM

I know of no image acquisition SW for Chromebooks.  This includes ASCOM related drivers.  Get a low-end PC.

• OldManSky likes this

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:48 PM

I think the best use for a Chromebook might be as a virtual console to something like a Raspberry Pi running StellarMate or Astroberry.

• Jaimo! and OldManSky like this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:25 PM

I think the best use for a Chromebook might be as a virtual console to something like a Raspberry Pi running StellarMate or Astroberry.

...or you can remote into your mount-side miniPC/laptop with the Chromebook using Chrome Remote Desktop or Anydesk (for Android/Chrome).

But yeah...there is zero capture/control software for Chrome/Android.  None, nada, zip.

#5 mjritchie

mjritchie

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:58 PM

Ok, I wasn't sure what was possible, and the most current info I could find was a couple years old. Thanks for the help everyone.

#6 colinrm

colinrm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:18 PM

Can you use the ASIAIR Android app on it to control an ASIAIR?

#7 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:56 PM

You could replace ChromeOS on the chromebook with a  linux distro and run indi/Ekos/Kstars on it.

But research before buying on what types of OS you can install on that particular  Chromebook and whether Indi runs on those OS. For this you might need some hardware hacks.

You could also run Linux side by side with ChromeOS using something like Crouton, but this is running under Android so it might be tricky to get device drivers to work right. Easier to do, and might work for your purpose but not as fully featured as a full linux.  Search in indilib.org

https://indilib.org/...chromebook.html

Edited by hcf, 26 October 2021 - 11:02 PM.

#8 Ryou

Ryou

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:28 PM

For (I think) about the same price as a chromebook you can get a good mini-pc and use this to control everything either on the scope or in a little control box type thing. There are plenty of topics about it here, however (though lengthy) one I would suggest would be:

A New "Champion" Processor For Mini PCs?

There is a lot of good information in there, including some more recent suggestions/upgrades from the earlier posts. You also are saying you already have a PC ready for processing so it shouldn't be too hard to just use remote desktop from that to the Mini PC. You can even setup a network sync thing so that the images get transferred to the processing PC via the network as they are being captured on the capture PC. Instant backup in case something goes wrong.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics