•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader K-Line & Solar Continuum filter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bolrod

Bolrod

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

I would like to have your opinion regarding Baader K-Line double stacked & Solar Continuum double stacked filter.

I always watched the sun with my Thousand Oaks Optical filter but other filter seems to give more details.

What do you thing regarding these filters?

I read that K-Line is only for imaging and Solar Continuum can be used for visual and imaging but both filter must be used with an additional filter behind the scope.

Can I use these filters with my Thousand Oaks Optical filter instead of the 3.8 AstroSolar Photo Film included ?

For information my solar filter is Type 2+. so it is a visual filter.

I never imagined with 1ΒΌ" filter and with my DSLR.

How can I do this?

For information my DSLR is a Nikon D850 with M48 T ring.

Thanks

Clear skies,

Edited by Bolrod, 26 October 2021 - 01:15 PM.

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:27 PM

Hi,

They're just photosphere filters. Not anything tight enough to show Calcium of the chromosphere. I wouldn't bother with them. Definitely don't bother with any of the double stacked versions. The only one I'd touch is the Continuum 540nm, single stack filter, again, for photosphere. The K-Line filter is also just photosphere, just shorter wavelength. Not useful for visual really and you'd need excellent seeing to benefit the angular resolution, but again, it does not show the chromosphere's calcium at all.

I would not use a dSLR, this requires video imaging. But if you're going to do it anyways, just get a typical adapter for your mount type to T and get a T to 1.25" adapter. The 1.25" filters will thread on there.

Very best,

• gustavo_sanchez likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics