•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Streetlights to Satellites

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:34 PM

The United Nations’ Office of Outer Space Affairs is considering issues of light pollution spanning from streetlights to satellites.

https://skyandtelesc...united-nations/

• Astrojensen, BoldAxis1967, Jethro7 and 1 other like this

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

From the link:

Most people can’t see the Milky Way.

I remember, maybe 1952 or 3, my Father driving us through the Bay Area town of Portola Valley. Portola Valley is in the foothills of the Coastal Range but very close to the growing San Francisco Bay Peninsula.

I was looking out the windshield and I asked my Father what was that bright cloud above us. He said it was the Milky Way. WOW! I was likely 6 or 7 at the time and that single view has stayed with me.

50 years later I acquired a future homesite a bit south of Portola Valley, halfway between San Jose and Santa Cruz where I wanted to put up my future observartory. It was a nice location, on a good night I could, using averted vision, make out M31 and M33. But I never got the same view of the Milky Way that I got 50 years earlier.

Too much light is allowed to escape upwards into the atmosphere where it disburses into a haze that blocks out much of what we once took for granted.

• bumm, Augustus, GDAstrola and 2 others like this

#3 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:41 PM

The United Nations’ Office of Outer Space Affairs is considering issues of light pollution spanning from streetlights to satellites.

https://skyandtelesc...united-nations/

By the time they get done considering it will be too, too late  Oh wait a minute, its too, too late already to stop the rush

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:42 PM

From the link:

I remember, maybe 1952 or 3, my Father driving us through the Bay Area town of Portola Valley. Portola Valley is in the foothills of the Coastal Range but very close to the growing San Francisco Bay Peninsula.

I was looking out the windshield and I asked my Father what was that bright cloud above us. He said it was the Milky Way. WOW! I was likely 6 or 7 at the time and that single view has stayed with me.

50 years later I acquired a future homesite a bit south of Portola Valley, halfway between San Jose and Santa Cruz where I wanted to put up my future observartory. It was a nice location, on a good night I could, using averted vision, make out M31 and M33. But I never got the same view of the Milky Way that I got 50 years earlier.

Too much light is allowed to escape upwards into the atmosphere where it disburses into a haze that blocks out much of what we once took for granted.

Welcome to the club, lol

#5 BoldAxis1967

BoldAxis1967

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:38 PM

By the time they get done considering it will be too, too late  Oh wait a minute, its too, too late already to stop the rush

You are probably correct.  The small gains made now amount to local improvements.  But on the larger scale all our efforts probably equate to throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.  However, at least the problem is being noticed. 

L.

• LDW47 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics