•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12x50 which one?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 JorgeLima87

JorgeLima87

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lisbon, Portugal

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a pair of 12x50 binos, I am not sure from these shell I go for.

Nikon Action EX 12 x 50 CF, Pentax SP 12X50 WP or APM ED APO 12 x 50. 

Thank you.

#2 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:33 PM

APM

The price of the APM looks to be more than 2x of either of the other two. Maybe you get what you pay for? :)

George

• ECP M42 likes this

#3 Fiske

Fiske

Skylab

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:34 PM

APM 12X50 ED MS. wink.gif

• ECP M42 likes this

#4 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:17 PM

How about a IS bino? Canon makes the 15x50?

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:55 PM

Welcome to C/N! welcome.gif

The Nikon AE series get lots of recommendations on this forum for astronomy binoculars. For their price point of $184 (B&H Photo) they are hard to beat.watching.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 26 October 2021 - 06:57 PM.

• Fiske, Cali and f18dad like this

#6 f18dad

f18dad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:58 PM

Nikon AE 12x50

#7 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:08 AM

I vote for APM ED ... if you use them for starry skies or long range observations.

In case you will also need them for local fauna at medium and short distances, it would be preferable that the binoculars have a central focuser.
And in this case you could also review the choices. 

#8 f18dad

f18dad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 27 October 2021 - 06:56 AM

https://www.cloudyni...nikon-12x50-ae/

https://www.cloudyni...-families-r1714

#9 JorgeLima87

JorgeLima87

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

Thank you everyone for your reply.

The APM are on sale at the moment. https://www.apm-tele...ries-binoculars

The Pentax I like the focus lock but maybe optically they are not as good as the nikon?

I own a celestron 15x70, will I see a big difference in image quality?

The price is much higher however the IS is a big advatange, or maybe wait if a new version to come out in the meantime. 

#10 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

I have the Vortex Diamondback HD 12x50 and am quite satisfied.

#11 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:53 AM

The well-known reviewer Roger Vine has tested the Canon 12x36 IS mark III (including against an regular 12x50 binocular under the stars)
He is very impressed with the small Canon IS binocular.
Compared to the APM 12x50, this Canon is 350 euros more expensive.

http://www.scopeview...n12x36ISIII.htm

Edited by garret, 27 October 2021 - 11:54 AM.

#12 JorgeLima87

JorgeLima87

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

The well-known reviewer Roger Vine has tested the Canon 12x36 IS mark III (including against an regular 12x50 binocular under the stars)
He is very impressed with the small Canon IS binocular.
Compared to the APM 12x50, this Canon is 350 euros more expensive.

http://www.scopeview...n12x36ISIII.htm

I had a look at the canon 12x36 IS III but having to keep on pressing the stabilisation button was a turn off for me. The 15x50 IS don´t have this issue. 

#13 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:49 PM

The Pentax I like the focus lock but maybe optically they are not as good as the nikon?

Haven’t used the Nikon AE or the APM, but I do have the 12x50 Pentax. I usually prefer a minimum 65* AFOV, and these are much narrower at 50*, but the optics are very good. I don’t notice any aberrations until about 90% out to the edge, and even the edge  is still minimal with any issues. Contrast is very good.

The focus lock is a nice feature. I wear glasses and there is plenty of eye relief for me. I tend to use these for the moon and more compact DSOs that don’t need a big field. Very good for those applications. 

• Fiske and ECP M42 like this

#14 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:37 PM

I have the Nikon AE, but in 10x50.  Excellent binos with excellent optics.

• Cali likes this

#15 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 27 October 2021 - 06:27 PM

You can get the refurbished Nikon action extremes for $130  from Nikon

https://www.nikonusa...:8ps:Binoculars

• Cali and Stuart_M like this

#16 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:36 AM

1 - The Pentax I like the focus lock but maybe optically they are not as good as the nikon?

2 - I own a celestron 15x70, will I see a big difference in image quality?

1 - I have never tried any of these models, but from what I can understand from the reviews and what I can guess based on all my knowledge and experience, I believe that the optical quality of the Pentax is better than that of the Nikon AE (but lower to that of the APM).

The focus is internal which makes those binoculars more accurate with alignments and more waterproof. I don't remember reading how focus rotation works, but I think it's smoother than the AE system (which is pretty cheap). Pentaxes seem to me to be built well and to perform just as well and for a long time. Surely they belong to a more specific project, which prefers to use high resolution and brightness eyepieces, making the binoculars more suitable for celestial observation, at the same time allowing a wide eye relief for eyeglass wearers, but where the only negative point is the greater relative weight, compared to the narrow field of view they offer (50° AFOV). 

2 - I still have a Celestron SkyMaster 25x70 and have tried various other similar models (70mm), so I can confidently assume that the difference will be noticeable with each of the models you mentioned. And of course, more and more with the more expensive model.

But the 15x70 will get you to see more stars than any 12x50, on any occasion. So I don't know if it can be an adequate comparison reference for this choice. 

Can you tell us what tasks you will use your new 12x50 for? 

Henry

Edited by ECP M42, 28 October 2021 - 03:38 AM.

#17 JorgeLima87

JorgeLima87

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 04:41 AM

Can you tell us what tasks you will use your new 12x50 for? 

I am looking for something on the go with good quality optics to carry with me on trips to the countryside, mostly for stargazing.

#18 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 October 2021 - 05:37 AM

as far as I can NOT understand from your constipated responses, you may be traveling on foot or by wheeled vehicles, but we will never know ... 

... it is so difficult to be explanatory enough, so that those who waste time answering you at least have the feeling that it is useful to do so? smirk.gif

Edited by ECP M42, 28 October 2021 - 05:37 AM.

#19 JorgeLima87

JorgeLima87

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:11 AM

as far as I can NOT understand from your constipated responses, you may be traveling on foot or by wheeled vehicles, but we will never know ... 

... it is so difficult to be explanatory enough, so that those who waste time answering you at least have the feeling that it is useful to do so? smirk.gif

Thank you for your help, it has certainly been helpful and I am sorry if you didn´t understand. The trips I do are on 4x4 overland and then hiking once I arrive. Im looking for something sturdy that can hold knocks when driving around and not too heavy to carry on a backpack. 

1 - I have never tried any of these models, but from what I can understand from the reviews and what I can guess based on all my knowledge and experience, I believe that the optical quality of the Pentax is better than that of the Nikon AE (but lower to that of the APM).

The focus is internal which makes those binoculars more accurate with alignments and more waterproof. I don't remember reading how focus rotation works, but I think it's smoother than the AE system (which is pretty cheap). Pentaxes seem to me to be built well and to perform just as well and for a long time. Surely they belong to a more specific project, which prefers to use high resolution and brightness eyepieces, making the binoculars more suitable for celestial observation, at the same time allowing a wide eye relief for eyeglass wearers, but where the only negative point is the greater relative weight, compared to the narrow field of view they offer (50° AFOV). 

From the description, sounds like the Pentax are more of a modern desgin than to the Nikon. Didn´t realise they had internal focus. The APM seem to be too heavy for my purpose and no central focus which can take a while getting used too. At the moment I´m leaning towards the Pentax. 

• kenny moses likes this

#20 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:55 AM

You can get the refurbished Nikon action extremes for $130  from Nikon

https://www.nikonusa...:8ps:Binoculars

Thank you Blue72! I had no idea.

- Cal

• Blue72 likes this

#21 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:15 AM

I have the Nikons and the Celestrons .,and the Nikons are much sharper to my eyes.,Not quite as much ummf but very nice views.,And they can focus on targets that are pretty close.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210408_041740.jpg
  • 20180826_084848.jpg

• Astronoob76 likes this

#22 Bkoh

Bkoh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

Thank you for your help, it has certainly been helpful and I am sorry if you didn´t understand. The trips I do are on 4x4 overland and then hiking once I arrive. Im looking for something sturdy that can hold knocks when driving around and not too heavy to carry on a backpack. 

From the description, sounds like the Pentax are more of a modern desgin than to the Nikon. Didn´t realise they had internal focus. The APM seem to be too heavy for my purpose and no central focus which can take a while getting used too. At the moment I´m leaning towards the Pentax. 

If you want something not too heavy, Opticron has very light 50mm binoculars around 800g:

https://www.opticron...urer-t-wp-12x50

https://www.amazon.c...B074WG3V4F?th=1

Its 10x50 sibling is recommended for beginners by Steve Tonkin, a binocular astronomy expert. The Opticron Adventurer T is very affordable, so if you run over it in your 4x4 or bash it on rocks during the hike, it's not too costly to replace.

The Pentax porros are well thought of optically. Their main weakness is a narrow apparent field of view ("tunnel vision"). Many owners use them as a secondary pair alongside a lower-power, wider-view bino. For a single bino on a trip, perhaps one with a wider field of view would be more fun to use. If you do get the Pentax, consider bringing along a small 8x30/8x32 with a wide field of view too, it will be a different experience.

#23 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:50 AM

Ok, it is still not clear to me if they will also be used to observe the local fauna or just to look at the hilly-mountain landscapes, during the day (which could be done also with a 280g 10oz CF 12x30 roof).
So, for hiking I would not be happy to wear the 1350g 48oz of the APM around my neck, which would be also a little more uncomfortable than the other two, due to its independent focus. But once under the starry sky, it would be the one of the three I wish I had (undoubtedly). So, it would be a rather difficult choice, for me, for at least two reasons:
1 - Both the Pentax and the Nikon still weigh more than 1Kg 35oz and this is not suited for hiking (already tried on my shoulders).
2 - I'm used to the IF and I can also manage it efficiently for terrestrial observations, so that it covers the various depths of field that are needed me (even if at 12x the DOF is less manageable than a 7x, for example).

Cestus (in post # 10) gave an input. Giving up some points of optical quality, it is possible to find some 12x50 roof models, weighing less than 900g 32oz and with central focus, more suitable for terrestrial and walking. But it is off topic.

• bob midiri and ckwastro like this

#24 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

My Pentax 12x50s are 1080g, and looking up the Nikon AE, they are 1043g. Personally, I would not want to carry either of them on hikes at that weight and they are far more bulky than similar roof prism models. Everyone is different but for me these are hand-held for short periods either standing or leaning back in a chair, but would be best mounted. 

• ECP M42 likes this

#25 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:24 PM

it is possible to find some 12x50 roof models, weighing less than 900g 32oz and with central focus, more suitable for terrestrial and walking. But it is off topic.

A lightweight 12x is going to show greater hand shake when used for hand held viewing.

Stan

• Cali likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics