•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Speaking of junk I should have thrown out - Jupiter from last evening 10-25-21

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:56 PM

Here's the sweet spot from last night for what it was worth.  Jet stream was less than 7 m/s but convection clouds formed and the planet started to boil.  They cleared a bit as Jupiter approached the meridian.

2021-10-26-0125_4-DWC-L-Jup_AS_P15_lapl5_ap71_Drizzle15wdr2AP.jpg

Here's a single image near the derotation time stamp.  I think I've jacked up the derotation a bit.

2021-10-26-0123_9-DWC-L-Jup_AS_P15_lapl5_ap70_Drizzle15wAP.jpg

• Kenny V., Az Frank, Ed D and 7 others like this

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Aurora

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:04 PM

Congratulations - you managed the first Christmas Jupiter of 2021 - by two whole months! :)

• AstroEthan likes this

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:16 PM

Congratulations - you managed the first Christmas Jupiter of 2021 - by two whole months! :)

Oops. Maybe the moderator can fix that. Supposed to be 10 not 12.
  • RedLionNJ likes this

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:29 PM

Oops. Maybe the moderator can fix that. Supposed to be 10 not 12.

Thanks to the moderator for fixing the subject line!!

• RedLionNJ likes this

#5 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Vanguard

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:19 PM

Something's amiss with your derotation--- the images have a strong rotational blur. scratchhead2.gif  

#6 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:34 PM

Something's amiss with your derotation--- the images have a strong rotational blur. scratchhead2.gif

In the single image as well you can see some evidence of the astigmatism in the scope as well. I created a gif of the frames that wasn’t worth posting but I could see in the GIF that I had alignment changes from frame to frame as I tweaked the collimation. Had I used auto align for each of the frames in the derotation that would have helped some but most of what looks like “smearing” is the astigmatism caused by some of the frames not being focused well enough. It’s an ongoing battle with this scope and I should add this scope operator.

Edited by dcaponeii, 27 October 2021 - 03:10 PM.

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:57 PM

Apropos John's comments & your reply Don I'm reading that one variable is that you altered collimation between captures..?

That's good as far as trying to get better collimation, but not really worthwhile trying to use any variations in image qualities in a WJ derotation - if I read this correctly.

But the more images I see from you the more I realise you must be really struggling with optical aberrations (the astigmatism) & looking at you scope selection, wonder whether trying out your 10" Meade rather than the 12" Meade might be a better idea..? (presuming I've got this the right way around...)

Dropping back from 12" to 10" isn't really that much of a big deal tbh...& if the optics are substantially better I think the "smearing" might become a non-issue.

Just a thought... ;) 

• dcaponeii and Kiwi Paul like this

#8 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 27 October 2021 - 06:01 PM

A worthwhile thought from Daryl, Don. It may save a lot struggling.
Paul

Edited by Kiwi Paul, 27 October 2021 - 06:02 PM.

• dcaponeii likes this

#9 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

Yes, likely no doubt.  I've been waiting for my ASI485MC to arrive and then I plan to image with the 10" as well.  Given the camera is still a couple weeks out I suspect the 10" will have to wait until next season for planetary but we'll see how it performs on Lunar in the coming Months.

The 12" shows no glaring defects when operated at f/5 or f/8 with my 4:3 Camera, so we'll leave it on the pier for DSO's and probably rely on my Scope Buggy to haul the 10" in and out of the shop for the initial work on Lunar.

I'm still seeing glimpses of improvements that occur with the 12" that keep me from giving up on it completely and I hate to think about owning a $5,000 boat anchor.  I need to get better at processing as well but all in all I'm still happy with the progress this year over last year but I agree that applying my improvements in imagine to the 10" scope may yield great results.  If Meade can get their act together again under Orion's ownership that maybe I'll ship it back to the factory for an overhaul to see if they can correct the performance of the optics.  But my Metaguide results at f/5 and f/8 lead me to believe that the scope is "in spec" just not quite good enough for high-res planetary under my typical seeing conditions.  My average derotation frames tends to be only 3 or 5 images and by comparison that's not an adequate number, especially since the optics always force me to low stack percentages in my captured images to derotate.  I'm thinking I've still got lots that can be improved.

Regardless I'm still having fun and have decided I'm now doing better than average with my technique so we continue to be optimistic.  You guys have been a lot of help in the process which has also been enjoyable.  With my second retirement probably coming in the Spring I'll have more time to spend honing my efforts.

#10 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

Posted 28 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

Square Ganymedes are the best Ganymedes.  ;O)

• dcaponeii likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics