•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dew Problems - Esprit 100

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phillip_Locke

Phillip_Locke

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hi Group,

I've had issues with dew control around 4-5 times over the past few weeks where the element on the Esprit 100 has "dewed over."  I realize that I need to invest in a good dew control system and am looking for suggestions.  I live in Florida where the dew can be extreme and am looking for a dew controller/dew heaters for the Esprit 100ED and an Evoguide 50ED refractor.

Couple of questions:

1.  How "bad" does the dew spotting need to be before it impacts image quality?  I've not had look luck with trying to clean optics so I would probably send it to Skywatcher to have it cleaned.

2.  For a temporary solution, I have a couple of Svbony dew strips on the Esprit 100ED.  The problem is that they shut off for some unknown reason and that's been the problem.  I can run them without the controller and one runs at at 1.9 amp and the other runs at 1.6 amp for a total of 3.5 amps?   Is this too much heat/power to use?

I appreciate your help with this since I just got the scope a couple of months ago and the idea of the dew spots damagaging the optics or impacting image quality is really bugging me

Open to any/all comments or feedback.

Thanks!

-Phil

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

I would probably get the dewing situation under control, and then clean the lens.  Contamination on the lens tends to attract dew, so it sort of snowballs after a time.  You can clean it yourself -- just go slow and careful.  There are probably lots of resources on the web on how to do it.

What are you using to power the Svbony dew strips?  Maybe the voltage is dropping and then they cut out.  Batteries can get damaged if the voltage runs too low, so sometimes there are built-in shut off features.  Also some USB battery packs will shut off if the power draw goes to zero (they think the "phone" is charged and they are done, so the battery shuts off).  If the Svbony controller regulates by switching the heaters on / off the USB battery may get confused and think its done "charging the phone."

Are these USB 5V powered?  If yes, then 3.5 amps does not seem like too much.  Thats about 17 Watts.

Edited by ngc7319_20, 26 October 2021 - 07:35 PM.

#3 Phillip_Locke

Phillip_Locke

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:59 PM

I would probably get the dewing situation under control, and then clean the lens.  Contamination on the lens tends to attract dew, so it sort of snowballs after a time.  You can clean it yourself -- just go slow and careful.  There are probably lots of resources on the web on how to do it.

What are you using to power the Svbony dew strips?  Maybe the voltage is dropping and then they cut out.  Batteries can get damaged if the voltage runs too low, so sometimes there are built-in shut off features.  Also some USB battery packs will shut off if the power draw goes to zero (they think the "phone" is charged and they are done, so the battery shuts off).  If the Svbony controller regulates by switching the heaters on / off the USB battery may get confused and think its done "charging the phone."

Are these USB 5V powered?  If yes, then 3.5 amps does not seem like too much.  Thats about 17 Watts.

I'm using https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00L2K263Q as the power supply.  I've taken the controllers out of the loop on the dew heaters so they're running at full power draw tonight as I'm imaging.  I'm mainly concerned that I'm applying too much heat and will damage something.  I felt the heaters and they're very warm but certainly not hot...

I'm really uncomfortable about cleaning the optics as I've tried in the past on another refractor and left visible "rub marks" on the element.  I'm open to trying, however.

Thanks,

-Phil

#4 Phillip_Locke

Phillip_Locke

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:16 AM

I'm using https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00L2K263Q as the power supply.  I've taken the controllers out of the loop on the dew heaters so they're running at full power draw tonight as I'm imaging.  I'm mainly concerned that I'm applying too much heat and will damage something.  I felt the heaters and they're very warm but certainly not hot...

I'm really uncomfortable about cleaning the optics as I've tried in the past on another refractor and left visible "rub marks" on the element.  I'm open to trying, however.

Thanks,

-Phil

After removing the controllers, I imaged with full power and had no issues.  However, realize that I'm using 13.8 V * 3.5 amps ~48 watts!!  If I need to go to battery use at some point, I'll need to come up with a better solution!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics