•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trailer roof mount solar panel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:41 PM

I'm thinking of installing a roof mounted solar panel to my scope trailer to recharge batteries. Has anyone done this? If so did you have to custom fit it or did you buy a turnkey system? 

#2 ngatel

ngatel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:40 PM

Here's what I've done to my trailers (past & present), but they're camping trailers, not telescope trailers. But solar is solar ;-)

The 2014 Milan is really done nicely, IMO. The link to this one contains an itemized list of all the components I had to buy and a wiring diagram. 

1992 Starcraft Meteorite (installed in 2003) and 2006 Fleetwood Niagara (installed in 2005)

2014 Elipse Milan 26RLS (installed in 2013)

Also some thoughts on battery charging:  Your Camper/RV Might be Killing Your Battery Bank

There are several ways to attach the solar L-brackets to the roof itself, depending upon what kind of a roof you have.

• Keith Rivich likes this

#3 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Vanguard

• Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:41 AM

I too have solar on my travel trailer, 1 KW array to be specific with 6 panels.  Go power makes ready made kits as do other companies with everything you need.  It is not hard and the instructions are pretty clear.  If you are handy it is a snap.  Good Luck.

#4 ngatel

ngatel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:49 AM

Cliff,

That’s quite an array! May I ask what you run off of that? Also what kind of a battery bank do you have and what is the AH capacity?

Do you have any pictures you could post?

Edited by ngatel, 27 October 2021 - 11:50 AM.

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

I used a solar system at my remote camp for years, it consisted of a 500w bank of panels, to a 30amp controller to a bank of 3 - large 12v deep cycle marine batteries, I ran everything save for a propane stove  Never had a problem and I left it hooked up winter and summer to maintain the batteries in temps down to -40° F, when we weren't there  Just make sure you have the proper size controller, its a key part  PS  And the right wire gauge size

Edited by LDW47, 27 October 2021 - 12:42 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics