•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bad Filter Threads?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:22 PM

Has anyone ever gotten a filter with threads that just seemed a little off? Today I received a Baader 685 IR Pass filter that will be used for night vision. I first tried it in an adapter that will be used for the night vision device and it didn't seem to thread in very far or smoothly. Then I had a very tough time getting it to unthread, even though I hadn't really even tightened it. Because I hadn't tried it yet, my first thought was the adapter threads were off. I tried one of my other 2" filters in it and it went in and out smooth as butter. I then tried the new filter in a couple of my eyepieces and in at least 2 others it was just a little off. It would start and thread in, but felt a little knotty the whole time. At least once, it was a little slow to come out too. I'm thinking I may contact the vendor to see if they can send me a replacement. 

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:32 PM

Yes --- that's a not uncommon problem. Something in their mechanical parts (undoubtedly out-sourced) is junky. You'd think they would check for such things... at least on the Premium stuff.    Tom

• Speedy1985 likes this

#3 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:42 PM

Yes --- that's a not uncommon problem. Something in their mechanical parts (undoubtedly out-sourced) is junky. You'd think they would check for such things... at least on the Premium stuff.    Tom

Thank you. Has it been a problem with just Baader, or filters in general? I'm truly glad I checked because the device I'm ultimately going to be using it with isn't due to come in until December/January if they can get me the specs I want. I'm sure I'd have a much tougher time with a return if I found out then. 

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:55 PM

This is a known issue with the so-called 2" filter or M48 thread size. You can read about this in the following thread here on CN:

https://www.cloudyni...5/#entry7172313

After reading the first several posts you can skip to the end of the tread to learn the final "story." Plus, here is a post that explains the situation with Baader parts:

https://www.cloudyni...5/#entry9261744

Edited by james7ca, 26 October 2021 - 09:02 PM.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#5 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:12 PM

This is a known issue with the so-called 2" filter or M48 thread size. You can read about this in the following thread here on CN:

https://www.cloudyni...5/#entry7172313

After reading the first several posts you can skip to the end of the tread to learn the final "story." Plus, here is a post that explains the situation with Baader parts:

https://www.cloudyni...5/#entry9261744

Wow, this falls under the category of "if I had known then what I know now". Thank you for that info. It amazes me that there is not a 2" or 48mm standard across the industry, period. I also have another Baader filter coming(6.5nm H-a) and I'm not going to be happy if it's the same thing. 

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:28 PM

Wow, this falls under the category of "if I had known then what I know now". Thank you for that info. It amazes me that there is not a 2" or 48mm standard across the industry, period. I also have another Baader filter coming(6.5nm H-a) and I'm not going to be happy if it's the same thing. 

I still use Baader 2" filters because they make some of the best filters in the industry. But, they do have issues fitting to some 2"/M48 parts. Most of the time, however, the fit is serviceable. But, I wouldn't want to put much weight on that connection and you have to be extra careful not to cross thread the parts or to screw them in too tightly.

Edited by james7ca, 26 October 2021 - 09:30 PM.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#7 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:42 PM

I still use Baader 2" filters because they make some of the best filters in the industry. But, they do have issues fitting to some 2"/M48 parts. Most of the time, however, the fit is serviceable. But, I wouldn't want to put much weight on that connection and you have to be extra careful not to cross thread the parts or to screw them in too tightly.

Yes, that’s why I bought them after doing some research. None of the connections will have any weight so to speak, as it will either be used on the end of a handheld night vision device or in an eyepiece below the NVD in a scope. I tried in a few of my APM/Stellarvue eyepieces and a GSO and it goes better in some than others. The interesting part is that the eyepieces, save for the GSO, are all made by the same manufacturer.

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:22 PM

Yes to the above references. Unfortunately, our astronomy equipment, most especially when mixing and matching across various manufacturers --- suffers severely from lack of agreed standards and also some folded in shoddy inaccurate manufacturing... especially of mechanical interface parts. Focusers, eyepiece barrels, Star diagonals, uncountable threaded connectors... endless list.    Tom

• Speedy1985 likes this

#9 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 28 October 2021 - 10:37 AM

Got a new 2" baader ir filter that was recommended for solar use. Thing binds on pretty much anything I've tried it on. Was thinking of trying to grab the new set of high speed filters for the rasa and the starizona filter drawer but who knows if they would fit. :(

I think the tread pitch is slightly off.
  • Speedy1985 likes this

#10 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 11:09 AM

Got a new 2" baader ir filter that was recommended for solar use. Thing binds on pretty much anything I've tried it on. Was thinking of trying to grab the new set of high speed filters for the rasa and the starizona filter drawer but who knows if they would fit. frown.gif

I think the tread pitch is slightly off.

In the links posted above, you’ll see that Baader tried to use their own proprietary M48 thread pitch that would closely match other manufacturers’ products do theirs would be compatible across more platforms. It’s a can of worms and the reason why other industries have standards. An M48 thread should be one or 2 standard pitches, like fine and coarse thread bolts. 

#11 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 29 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

Has anyone ever gotten a filter with threads that just seemed a little off? Today I received a Baader 685 IR Pass filter that will be used for night vision . 

I have one of those. The threads are NOT standard, they are Baader's idea of being smart.  That filter only screws in 1/2 turn going into at least three different parts I have that hold it (Moonlite focuser, Televue Powermate, Televue eyepieces).    All my other filters screw in just fine until they hit snug against the shoulder. 

My solution: don't buy Baader.  

• Speedy1985 likes this

#12 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2021 - 03:12 PM

Well I got the Baader H-alpha filter today, ordered on the same day from a different vendor. Same result, although this one seems slightly smoother into the TV adapter. It still only goes less than 1/2 turn into my GSO 30mm as well. I'll likely hang onto them and see if I can find some type of adapter later if I find the need to. I wish I had known that they decided to use this hokie thread pitch before hand. Going forward, if the need arises, I won't be getting any more of their filters until they change that design. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics