•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8.25 lbs or 3.75 kg advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Peach Mountain Observatory, 42.3N

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

So, newbie at scope buying (and astronomy). 

I'm using an 18-200 Nikkor lens on a d5100 with a Sky Adventurer on a Manfrotto rated for 38 lbs.  The SA has a max design load limit at 11 lbs.

I'm having fun. 

Next quarter I will be shopping for a refractor BUT I am not willing to buy the top end mount to replace what I am doing. I will use the scope for a little optical but mostly imaging.

Next fall is serious mount buying if I stick with this for a year.

At present I am using field glasses and "learning my trade" but I'd like to resolve the images associated with the constellations I am learning. I really had no idea so many stunning objects were available with less than tens of thousands of dollars in gear.

My issue? Mass but for ease I'll call it weight.

I want to stay under 8.25 lbs for the OTA and any flattener/reducer required.

I cannot be the first to face this dilemma but ... I can't seem to find a thread that frames it in these - newbie - terms. 

I see the W. O. GT 71.

I see the Orion 80ED t carbon fiber ( not a fan of cf generally )

Obviously I am trying for the best - and largest - APO doublet I can find for the weight. Triplets are awesome but glass is heavy which I probably don't need to say; but, there it is.

Anyone with experience in solving this design constraint? I would be welcome for the suggestion and the oversight as I am sure I am missing something obvious.

Thanks ... the new guy.

#2 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:59 PM

Turns out, Google Shopping filters refractors by weight range!

#3 jupiter122

jupiter122

Messenger

• Loc: Sudbury, MA; Gray, Maine

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:05 PM

TV 85 OTA IS 6.1 lbs.
  • bearpig likes this

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 26 October 2021 - 11:31 PM

Welcome to C/N! welcome.gif

A very experienced astrophotographer on this forum recommends "The Deep-Sky Imaging Primer (2nd ed) by Charles Bracken. He will answer most of your astrophotography equipment and technique questions. Best of luck to you! hmm.gif

p.s. Check out the Astro-Tech scopes from our sponsor. This one gets great reviews from imagers:https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html. Only 4+lbs.  wink.gif

• bearpig likes this

#5 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

Thanks ...

Ordering the book now!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics