•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stray light in image train

Beginner Astrophotography Equipment Imaging Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unbreakable goose

unbreakable goose

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:01 AM

Hi all, 

I recently upgraded to a new scope and reducer combo. Whenever I image near a bright object, I get some 'stray light' in the image. I have attached a photo of Venus to show what I mean (I admit, it's overexposed but I wanted to emphasize the issue). I also included a photo of a galaxy, the outer ring of the galaxy is this same light effect. 

Photo of Venus: https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Photo of galaxy: https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

I don't think it could be the back focal distance of the reducer, since I can get perfect focus. That being said, I'm very new to this 

My equipment 
GSO RC 8" f/8 
Gso 0.75x reducer (designed for this scope)
Zwo filter wheel
Zwo Asi183mm pro cool camera 

Thanks in advance for any help
Clear skies!

#2 Medic002

Medic002

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:49 AM

were u taking these pics close to the moon or have a street light or something in the area? You can try using a dew shield attached to front of scope if that is from a street light or scope pointed near the moon.

Edited by Medic002, 27 October 2021 - 05:51 AM.

• unbreakable goose likes this

#3 unbreakable goose

unbreakable goose

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:58 AM

were u taking these pics close to the moon or have a street light or something in the area? You can try using a dew shield attached to front of scope if that is from a street light or scope pointed near the moon.

Those images were taken with no moon or streetlight. The stray light in the images are from the target in the photo only. I think there might be some internal reflections happening, but Im not sure how to fix it

#4 Medic002

Medic002

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

Could be a collimation issue causing reflections of mirrors not being aligned properly.

• unbreakable goose likes this

#5 unbreakable goose

unbreakable goose

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:06 PM

Could be a collimation issue causing reflections of mirrors not being aligned properly.

Good idea! Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Astrophotography, Equipment, Imaging, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics