•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimation question

Collimation Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:41 PM

I miss film cameras.  And those canisters were handy for a great meany things.  So if you don't have access to a film cap, how about the cap from a pill bottle?  find one that fits tight over the eyepiece tube.  The center is also often already marked with a dimple.  That's what I made mine out of.   You may have to notch it for the rack and pinon gear though, but that's not a big thing with a sharp utility/exact o knife.

What a great solution, thanks.

I am waiting for my colimation eyepiece, it has shipped and hopefully here by the end of this week.

Another semi related question for everyone. When I move my dob I need to it in two pieces.

What I have been doing which maybe is not great is put the tube on it's tail on a sheepskin rug. effectively nthe locking bolts is kinda what it stands on but being a deep rug there is some support around the ring.

In hindsight this will affect collimation, should I make a triangle stand or lay it flat?

#52 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2021 - 09:08 PM

What a great solution, thanks.

I am waiting for my colimation eyepiece, it has shipped and hopefully here by the end of this week.

Another semi related question for everyone. When I move my dob I need to it in two pieces.

What I have been doing which maybe is not great is put the tube on it's tail on a sheepskin rug. effectively nthe locking bolts is kinda what it stands on but being a deep rug there is some support around the ring.

In hindsight this will affect collimation, should I make a triangle stand or lay it flat?

Got good advice via PM.

Moving forward I will be laying my tube flat in it's box into it's original foam cradles when moving.

I do wonder if there is a stand I can use to stand it up safely.

#53 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 02 November 2021 - 12:07 AM

If moving your dob around, I take my tube off the base and carry the tube like this.....

Easy-Carry Wrap-It Storage Straps - 36” (2-Pack) – Heavy-Duty Hook and Loop Cord Carrying Strap, Hanger, and Organizer with Handle for Pool Hoses, Garden Hoses, Cords, Cables and More https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

If it's a short run then maybe not
  • RodgerDodger008 likes this

#54 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2021 - 12:41 AM

If moving your dob around, I take my tube off the base and carry the tube like this.....

Easy-Carry Wrap-It Storage Straps - 36” (2-Pack) – Heavy-Duty Hook and Loop Cord Carrying Strap, Hanger, and Organizer with Handle for Pool Hoses, Garden Hoses, Cords, Cables and More https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

If it's a short run then maybe not

cool strap I do like the idea. I have no issues carrying the tube or base individually. the challenge has been where to put the tube while I am carrying the base.

#55 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 02 November 2021 - 06:13 AM

I've seen people fashion rubber or plastic feet for their Newts. They make U-shaped clips that slide onto the end of the OTA and support it when they stand it on end. 

Whether or not you can do that probably depends on the specific shape of the end of your tube.

#56 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:34 AM

cool strap I do like the idea. I have no issues carrying the tube or base individually. the challenge has been where to put the tube while I am carrying the base.

I put the tube close to where I want for time being to ensure it doesnt get knocked over.

It takes a few trips as I mentioned before but I know with the straps I have it secured.

It's generally not a good idea moving the scope while attached to the base especially putting any odd pressure on the bolts connected to the bearings. They may look like handles but in reality on the SW scope they are there to ensure a grip when adding any torque.

#57 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

I've seen people fashion rubber or plastic feet for their Newts. They make U-shaped clips that slide onto the end of the OTA and support it when they stand it on end. 

Whether or not you can do that probably depends on the specific shape of the end of your tube.

thanks, I like this idea. the dude that pm'd was almost telling me off for putting it on the end so thanks for just trying to come up with a normal answer :)

tbh I tried tonight to put it down in yhe original box but it was made to fit snug so honestly it was more dangerous for me than putting it on the tail for a few seconds while I moved the base outside.

So I really like your idea, something underneath, I will go to the hardware shop on the weekend and make something, I have a few ideas already.

#58 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:55 AM

thanks, I like this idea. the dude that pm'd was almost telling me off for putting it on the end so thanks for just trying to come up with a normal answer smile.gif

tbh I tried tonight to put it down in yhe original box but it was made to fit snug so honestly it was more dangerous for me than putting it on the tail for a few seconds while I moved the base outside.

So I really like your idea, something underneath, I will go to the hardware shop on the weekend and make something, I have a few ideas already.

I'd also suggest just laying it on it's side. This is how I transport my 10" dob, laying across the back seat of my car. If you do put feet on the bottom of the cell, you can just replace the mirror locks with feet. You will want to upgrade the primary collimating springs as well.

#59 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 02 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

thanks, I like this idea. the dude that pm'd was almost telling me off for putting it on the end so thanks for just trying to come up with a normal answer smile.gif

I thought I had seen someone do this to the same Newt that I have, so I just searched the classified ads and found this: https://www.cloudyni...f39-astrograph/

You can see what appear to be 3-D printed feet that slip over the edge of the rear mirror cell.

#60 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:43 AM

Received my collimation eyepiece today and did my first collimation tonight.

It was off, secondary only slightly but found this the hardest to get right and the primary was off by decent amount. Through the eyepiece the secondary dot was about 1cm (10mm) of from being over the dot.

Went outside and although transparency was good seeing was really poor, moon was under water basically and Jupiter was wavey even though close to zenith.

Was hard to judge the improvement in these conditions. Did a star test again to check collimation and this time it looked perfect, star test also confirmed bad seeing.

Overall considering the conditions I think I could see an improvement, will see over the next few nights if I can confirm.
  • SteveG and belliott4488 like this

#61 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:50 AM

Excellent news!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Collimation, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics