•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Western Veil and Pickering's Triangle with a Stellarvue SV80ST2 and ZWO ASI183MM

Astrophotography CMOS DSO Imaging Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:43 AM

I'm trying to finish off a bi-color (H-alpha and OIII) image of the Western Veil Nebula that I started about two weeks ago and here is what I have after four hours and twenty minutes of total integration time using a 0.8X reduced Stellarvue SV80ST2 and a ZWO ASI183MM Pro camera.

Image capture using Sequence Generator Pro, image processing with PixInsight and Photoshop 2021.

It looks like I might get two more clear nights this week (with a waning moon), so I should be able to double the integration time by this Friday and then I'll spend a bit more time and care in the processing (needs a better star reduction and some tweaks to the color). One potential issue, the clear skies will be the result of a Santa Ana condition and that means poor seeing conditions whereas my previous sessions had fairly good seeing.

Thanks for looking and C&C welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Western Veil and Pickering's Triangle (small).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 27 October 2021 - 06:10 AM.

• MHamburg, ngatel, jim kuhns and 10 others like this

#2 bernhardhubl

bernhardhubl

Vendor - CCD-Guide

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:54 AM

Hello James,

Very nice rendition of the filaments!

best,

Bernhard

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:54 PM

Bernhard, thanks for the notice.

I'm out collecting more subs tonight and thus far the seeing is cooperating, although after about 12AM last night the seeing started to deteriorate so that may happen again tonight. This pattern is common with the Santa Ana conditions we have in San Diego county, we get clear and dry nights but as it gets later in the evening the seeing often gets really bad and the winds out of the northeast begin to pick up at between 1AM and 2AM. It's amazing how predictable the winds are during these conditions, you can almost set your watch by their coming.

Oddly, however, none of the seeing prediction sites seem to know about this weather pattern. I think they rely too much on the situation with the jet stream, but the jet stream is only part of the story when it comes to seeing conditions and the Santa Ana winds are well known throughout California (it's also when we have our worst wildfires).

Edited by james7ca, 27 October 2021 - 10:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, DSO, Imaging, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics