•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Breaking in" a mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nyx

nyx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:40 AM

Many people believe that you have to play X hours through a new guitar amplifier in order to make it sound more mellow/balanced and less harsh, otherwise known as "breaking in the speaker".

It made me wonder, is there such a thing when it comes to astronomy mounts (including star trackers)?

Would letting a new mount (or a mount that has been sitting idle for a while) run for X hours with no or little load improve its performance in terms of tracking etc.? You know, mixing/softening up the grease, removing any manufacturing spurs and edges via friction, warming up the gears so to say.

• teashea likes this

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:44 AM

I remember reading of a user who ran his new mount's RA continuously for 24 hours, with fine grinding paste instead of grease.

To improve the worm to wormwheel mesh.

#3 zakry3323

zakry3323

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:28 AM

I suppose it might depend on the mount a bit. I've seen improvement in say, an AVX mount when the gears have been cleaned, hand-polished and relubed. This is sometimes part of the service provided by companies that "supercharge" mounts. I haven't seen anything in a modern mount that necessitates chamfering or grinding down sharp edges. The mass produced gear trains are still precision ground- I wouldn't touch a worm gear personally, other than to clean or re-lube it. Older mounts, I don't have as much experience with, but I guess if they're used they're broken in already aren't they :) 

#4 EJN

EJN

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:48 AM

Mounts are not car engines. 

• David-LR, zakry3323 and teashea like this

#5 David-LR

David-LR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indio, CA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

Many people believe that you have to play X hours through a new guitar amplifier in order to make it sound more mellow/balanced and less harsh, otherwise known as "breaking in the speaker".

It made me wonder, is there such a thing when it comes to astronomy mounts (including star trackers)?

Would letting a new mount (or a mount that has been sitting idle for a while) run for X hours with no or little load improve its performance in terms of tracking etc.? You know, mixing/softening up the grease, removing any manufacturing spurs and edges via friction, warming up the gears so to s

I never did anything but use my mount.  If it has problems with tracking quality, you would have to address that, but otherwise, it should be ready to go.

#6 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:08 PM

Would letting a new mount (or a mount that has been sitting idle for a while) run for X hours with no or little load improve its performance in terms of tracking etc.? You know, mixing/softening up the grease, removing any manufacturing spurs and edges via friction, warming up the gears so to say.

These are the same people who believe that you have to break in speakers, that gold speaker wire will sound superior to copper, etc etc.  There have never been a valid double blind experiment demonstrating these things.  

Mechanical things like mounts may be different.

• t-ara-fan likes this

#7 CMS1288

CMS1288

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sarasota, Fl

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:18 AM

As a guitarist yes, speakers need some sort of break-in to relax the fibers in the cone.

A mount however, I’m reluctant to think it endures enough stresses to cause beak-in. It’s not like a car chassis or motor mounts that are subject to lots of vibrations and resonance frequencies.

#8 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

Many people believe that you have to play X hours through a new guitar amplifier in order to make it sound more mellow/balanced  .

Glad you mentioned that.  I have* upgraded my AC power receptacles  to Furutech receptacles. For both the mount power supply and my laptop.

https://www.thecable...receptacle.html

They are amazing. Guiding improved by 15% the first night, and after a week it is 50% better.  And clouds are reduce by 8%-11% consistently. A bargain at USD255 per unit. 

How does it work?

Nano Crystal² Formula --- NCF is comprised of a special crystalline material that has two “active” properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static and secondly, it converts thermal energy into far-infrared. Furutech then combines this remarkable crystalline material with nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder for their additional “Piezo Effect” damping properties. The resulting Nano Crystal² Formula is the ultimate electrical and mechanical damping material – only found in Furutech products!

* actually I didn't LOL.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 28 October 2021 - 12:50 PM.

• SkipW likes this

#9 SkipW

SkipW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:28 PM

Glad you mentioned that.  I have* upgraded my AC power receptacles  to Furutech receptacles. For both the mount power supply and my laptop.

https://www.thecable...receptacle.html

They are amazing. Guiding improved by 15% the first night, and after a week it is 50% better.  And clouds are reduce by 8%-11% consistently. A bargain at USD255 per unit. 

How does it work?

Nano Crystal² Formula --- NCF is comprised of a special crystalline material that has two “active” properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static and secondly, it converts thermal energy into far-infrared. Furutech then combines this remarkable crystalline material with nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder for their additional “Piezo Effect” damping properties. The resulting Nano Crystal² Formula is the ultimate electrical and mechanical damping material – only found in Furutech products!

* actually I didn't LOL.

This sort of review is the reason I drifted away from audio forums. Some of the (very!) high-dollar, ludicrously fat and heavy power cables weren't even UL listed.

To answer the OP's question, just use it. If you find performance issues that cause you problems, address them.

• teashea likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics