•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie to the club...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kuch73

kuch73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chittenango, NY

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

I originally posted my introduction here about a year ago, but finally picked up my first new scope, Zhumell Z130. I have been reading much about smaller beginner scopes and the recommendations on here about getting a 6" DOB as a first, and while I appreciate the simplicity and capes of the 6", I did want something smaller and lighter. Narrowing my choices down I finally selected the Z130 and started shopping. Of course with all of the shortages going on there were not many in stock, and those that were in stock were going for upwards of $300 for a normal $200 scope. I keep my eyes on the list and finally found a NIB Z130 about 2 hours from me. Got to the house and actually had to cut open the seal on the box as the owner never used it. Seller made me a heck of a deal. Got it home and all set up, just waiting for some clear nights to get it outside. I had a collimator lens from an older Celestron CR150 that I had as well as a Celestron x-cel 10mm lens that I plan on using with it. Per some suggestions here I also ordered some filters, a 2x barlow as well as a 6mm WFOV EP. Collimation looks real close from the factory but I will spend some more time to ensure that it is spot on. thank you everyone on here for their suggestions and all of the knowledge on here. 

• aeajr, wrnchhead, Jethro7 and 1 other like this

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

Welcome to CN! I think you've done well to find yourself a little light bucket with a parabolic mirror- all the simplicity and ease of use of any Dobsonian mounted Newt, but super portable. F/5 should be easy enough on your eyepieces that you probably won't feel the need for a coma corrector. Do get into the habit of collimating every time before you use it- it should only need tweaks now and again but you don't want to have to be wondering when a high magnification image is breaking down if it's because of poor seeing OR if collimation is off. Good luck, have fun!  

• JohnBear likes this

#3 spkerer

spkerer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:23 AM

Enjoy it.  Get out there and observe and enjoy it!

Unfortunately you're learning the perennial lesson that new equipment brings foul weather.  

• JohnBear likes this

#4 OIC

OIC

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Suburbs of Denver, USA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:01 AM

I think the Z130 is the best of the tabletops. If I get too old for my Z200 I'll get one.

• JohnBear likes this

#5 JohnBear

JohnBear

Apollo

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:04 AM

EXCELLENT Choice for a first telescope!  The Z130 is a GREAT scope and will teach you the essential basics of telescopes and astronomy quickly and easily - then it will serve as a very capable grab and go scope for several more decades after you give in to aperture fever..  

Collimation adjustment of the secondary mirror is Really Tricky for newbies, and once done properly usually ae the factory) the secondary seldom needs adjustment anyway,  But adjusting the primary is easy. I suggest that you have someone from your local club show you how to adjust the secondary mirror before things get messed up ((you have joined an astronomy club- right?). 

I assume that you also have a book like "Turn Left at Orion" (or "NightWatch") to help you learnt the skies quickly. If so, you are well on your way to a very enjoyable hobby.

About the only thing you should consider buying for the next couple of months is  an inexpensive 2X barlow, which will double the magnification of your stock EPs. If you have the urge to "Buy more EPs"  I suggest getting the inexpensive Svbony 62 Degree Aspheric 10mm and 23mm eyepieces (only about $15 each) and use and compare them to your factory Kelners/Plossls.. This will teach you a lot about EP specs (AFOV, ER, etc.) and what you personally want to look for in more expensive EPs. 

Clear shies.

Edited by JohnBear, 27 October 2021 - 10:08 AM.

• PKDfan likes this

#6 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:20 AM

Hello and welcome to CN. Great choice for your scope.,There is a very long thread here in the beginner forum about the OneSky 130mm.,lots of great ideas for stands or other mods to this type/size scope.,Enjoy.,

• JohnBear likes this

#7 kuch73

kuch73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chittenango, NY

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:40 AM

Thank you all, I look forward to getting this out and see how it does. I do have turn left at Orion, which is a good read on its own. I also have a telrad from earlier, not sure if I should use that or the stock RDF that came with the 130, I'll see how that works first. 2x barlow is also ordered and on the way. 

• JohnBear likes this

#8 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:45 AM

Welcome to C/N! welcome.gif A good addition to your new scope is an astronomy guide book. One of the best is "NightWatch" by Terence Dickinson. He includes seasonal star charts to help you learn the night sky. Best of luck to you and your new hobby! waytogo.gif

• JohnBear and Jethro7 like this

#9 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to CN and best wishes for you & your new hobby.

#10 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:45 PM

Hello Kuch73, 

Wellcome to the Family, Others have responded with good advice and accolades on acquiring a fine scope. The only other things that I think can help with your all around experience is to mount the scope and base to a sturdy tripod, this will greatly expand the viewing stations that you are able to use. I did just that to a friends Z130 and this simple thing made using this scope very comfortable and a pleasure  to use and it can be set up just about anywhere. Sevenofnine, post #8 recommended  the Book " Nightwatch" by Terrence Dickerson, and I will add the book "Turn Left at Orion" by Guy Consolmagno and Dan M. Davis. These are excelent books and every bigginer should have them in their library. 

https://www.amazon.c...la-403917011747

https://www.amazon.c...la-526272983978

These books can be also found used on EBay

The most important thing to do is to get out there and KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 27 October 2021 - 10:07 PM.

• JohnBear likes this

#11 JohnBear

JohnBear

Apollo

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:00 PM

+1 for Jethro's great suggestion about mounting the Z130 OTA on a tripod (with an EQ or Alt/Az mount).  This is easily done, and is one of the reasons this amazing scope is so versatile!  It isn't "Just a Dob" - You then have a pretty decent 5" F5 Newtonian scope for DSO hunting on EQ mounts or on GoTo mounts.  

Edited by JohnBear, 27 October 2021 - 10:04 PM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#12 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:42 PM

+1 for Jethro's great suggestion about mounting the Z130 OTA on a tripod (with an EQ or Alt/Az mount).  This is easily done, and is one of the reasons this amazing scope is so versatile!  It isn't "Just a Dob" - You then have a pretty decent 5" F5 Newtonian scope for DSO hunting on EQ mounts or on GoTo mounts.  

Hello John,

The Z130 already comes with a Alt Az base. All I did was mount the whole scope with its base on top of a tripod. All you need is a longer center bolt. But I do like your thoughts on a GoTo upgrade and something like a i0ptron SmartStar cube - E, mount would be an excelent choice without having to spend a lot. Add a set of parallax rings and a Vixen dovetail and you are all set for a night of Star Hunting. 

https://www.adorama.com/atisebl.html

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#13 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:49 PM

Thats wonderful kuch73!

The best service you can do for your nights out is being fully dark adapted!

The views with a 5" on, say, M42 now, will be unforgettable.

30 minutes MINIMUM and if you can get to really dark skies then multiply that WOW significantly!!

Clear skies & Good seeing
  • Jethro7 likes this

#14 JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, FL

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:30 AM

Good choice. My 130mm f/5 scope is my favorite and most used telescope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics