•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions appreciated - Keep ES ED80 FCD100 or upgrade to SW Esprit 80?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluewater

bluewater

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:02 AM

Good day all,

I would appreciate some opinions on my current dilemma.  I currently own an Explore Scientific ED80 FCD-100 that is giving me tilt issues in the focuser (the camera/filter wheel combo works fine on my other scopes so I know it's not that at least).  I sent it to ES for cleaning and collimation and they claim that it's collimated spot-on.  Regardless, I am still getting some tilt. 

So - I am considering replacing my ED 80 with a SW Esprit 80, but am thinking it may be easier/cheaper to just upgrade the focuser on my ED 80.  So, for those with some experience with these what do you think?  If the optics are close would it be better to just upgrade my ED80 focuser or sell it and get the SW?  If you think upgrading do you have any suggestions for focusers?

Thanks in advance,

B

#2 raguramm

raguramm

Vostok 1

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

ES focusers are notoriously bad. Just upgrade and be happy :) get a Moonlite for autofocus and your image quality will skyrocket
  • TholianWeb likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:33 AM

The Esprit optics are better.  It's not only the glass.  That's one reason why it costs more.

Whether or not the cost increase is worth it is simply a personal opinion, others can't help you much here.  They differ in experience, the size of their bank account, their tolerance of imperfection,...  On and on.

I consider the Esprits to be excellent but expensive scopes, the ES is more economical.  I think that's a common view.

Edited by bobzeq25, 27 October 2021 - 10:35 AM.

• barbarosa and John Turley like this

#4 RogeZ

RogeZ

Vanguard

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:48 AM

The Esprit optics are better.  It's not only the glass.  That's one reason why it costs more.

Whether or not the cost increase is worth it is simply a personal opinion, others can't help you much here.  They differ in experience, the size of their bank account, their tolerance of imperfection,...  On and on.

I consider the Esprits to be excellent but expensive scopes, the ES is more economical.  I think that's a common view.

Better how? This is the FCD-100 ES which is as good as any mass produced scope. 

The move to the Esprit is a lateral move and considering the shoe you have to deal with with the 80, I would pass. 

The 100 or 120 would be upgrades. 

• Ballyhoo and John Turley like this

#5 suvowner

suvowner

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:01 PM

if you are getting serious about tilt then a gerd neumann tilt corrector is probably the best solution there is if your imaging train has room for it. and cheaper than a feathertouch focuser or a new scope that still might have a little tilt. good luck finding one though, the same would be for a esprit 80. 

https://www.gerdneum...lting-unit.html

#6 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

I have an Esprit 100ED. Every time I change cameras, reducers, etc., I spent 6 weeks fighting with tilt and losing valuable imaging time.  Just FWIW.

I'm going to take a good look at the Neumann tilt corrector page.  Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by Ron (Lubbock), 27 October 2021 - 12:07 PM.

#7 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:30 PM

The move to the Esprit is a lateral move and considering the shoe you have to deal with with the 80, I would pass. 

The 100 or 120 would be upgrades. 

I agree that an Esprit 100 would be an upgrade, but the 120 is a different tool; 840mm, f/7 has a totally different use case than a 480mm, f/6.  Esprit 120 is complimentary, not a substitute.  The Esprit 100 can be a terrific substitute, as a reduced Esprit 100 is basically a supercharged 80mm equivalent.

2-3 years ago I was looking for a scope in typical 80mm range to replace my 1st telescope, ES ED102CF.  Only a couple months into astronomy, it was obvious the ED102CF was not good enough for AP (bad focuser and FCD1 having bad CA).  My decision was between, Esprit 80, Esprit 100, and Stellarvue SVX80T-3SV.  I picked the Esprit 100 over the Esprit 80, for the following reasons:

1) The Esprit 100 has a much better way of attaching to a mount, with solid rings and Losmandy rail, instead of the Esprit 80's integrated Vixen foot.  Besides having the more solid Losmandy rail, the rings allow for a much more secure way to a guidescope, e.g. add a small Vixen rail on top and attach the guide scope on top; MUCH better than attaching the guide scope to the small finder bracket.

2) With a FR/FF, the Esprit 100 is basically a faster, higher resolution 80mm.  I use the TSAPORED075 (original 2019 version) for a 413mm FL at f/4.13 (which will shrink the image circle to APS-C limit).  Riccardi has an equivalent FR/FF, and Starizona has an even more extreme 0.65x (which will shrink the image circle to Micro 4/3 limit).  This gives me two different FLs, 550mm or 413mm, depending on the target.

3) Esprit 100's focuser is more robust, and is the same as on the Esprit 120 and 150.

4) Esprit 100 native image circle is 40mm vs. the Esprit 80's at 33mm.

I chose the Esprit 100, with the Stellarvue SVX80T-3SV, as a very solid 2nd choice.

Edited by SilverLitz, 27 October 2021 - 02:32 PM.

#8 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

I have had a lot of ES scopes. They have crummy focusers but I just swap those out for something nice like a Moonlite.    I always thought the optics on the Explore Scientifics were good though.  

Here is an image I am continuing to add more data to w my ES 152 and I think it is just FCD1 optics but when I use it visually for planets or whatever I am extremely satisfied.   

Here is my astrobin from my 152 image I have but if you search on astrobin for ES images you will not be disappointed, though you do need to upgrade the focusers if you are imaging.  The focusers are how they achieve the economical price-point I suspect.  They promote the hex focusers but I am not impressed by them for imaging at all.

https://www.astrobin.com/8phbn5/C/

edit

I also wonder whether the community overanalyzes optics on triplet  instruments.  Once a triplet lens is created up to spec, you have for all practical purposes a piece of glass where all the photons converge at the focal plane and anything above that is really icing on the cake. but I think the examples of inadequate optics for example on triplet refractors and ES in particular are slim to come by. 

Edited by Ballyhoo, 27 October 2021 - 10:22 PM.

• suvowner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics