•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Efficiently using LRGB exposure time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TodRiley

TodRiley

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:17 PM

I want to use my exposure time more efficiently owing to limited cloud free nights.  The common practice seems to be expose L for 50%, and RGB equally for the reminder.  Given that RGB exposures only provide color information and that L is the most important for resolution, what is the minimum ratio of RGB to L?   Knowing this will  allow me to maximize the time imaging with the L filter.   Thanks in advance.

#2 ks__observer

ks__observer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:51 PM

Experiment.

I saw one very experienced imager ssy you can reduce RGB quite a bit.

You should also be using your RGB data to creat a synthetic lum with the L data.

Edited by ks__observer, 27 October 2021 - 11:51 PM.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:20 AM

I want to use my exposure time more efficiently owing to limited cloud free nights.  The common practice seems to be expose L for 50%, and RGB equally for the reminder.  Given that RGB exposures only provide color information and that L is the most important for resolution, what is the minimum ratio of RGB to L?   Knowing this will  allow me to maximize the time imaging with the L filter.   Thanks in advance.

Common practice is pretty near ideal.  As is often the case.  "The wisdom of crowds" applies.

I suggest you read this before cutting back "too much" on the color data.  This is a very expert imager.

https://astroimages....good-color.html

• licho52 likes this

#4 fate187

fate187

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 28 October 2021 - 04:10 AM

From my experience it is better to expose RGB the more the better, if you live in light polluted environment. Otherwise blotchiness and/or uneven background with very difficult color gradients are the result.

#5 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 28 October 2021 - 09:26 AM

Yes, in Bortle 4, 50%L and 50% RGB (combined) worked very well. In Bortle 6 I need better color data, so I‘ve started to expose each channel for the same time. Skipping L, I find I get „too much“ color - i. e. while saturation can be pushed a lot, stretching reveals more noise. The brighter the object, the less RGB I need, as a rule.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics