•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Falcon Rotators on a dual rig

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Starguy999

Starguy999

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:53 PM

Is anyone using 2 Falcon Rotators on their dual rig?

I am running a dual rig in NINA 1.10 and am in the process of setting up dual rotators but can only detect 1 with the stand-alone software and with NINA.

I am also running 2 Focus Cubes and assumed the Falcon Rotators would also have similar unique IDs but it does not appear to be the case.

Any insight would be helpful.

#2 aaube

aaube

Messenger

• Loc: Pointe du Lac, Canada

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:20 AM

I emailed the folks a Pegasus about that last July and was told it would be possible in the upcoming release of the rotator software.

Target was then September_ish.  I suppose we should be close to get news about it.

Alain

Edited by aaube, 28 October 2021 - 01:19 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#3 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland, US

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:21 AM

You will need to ask Pegasus to adjust their ASCOM drivers so that multiple instances of the FocusCube and Falcon drivers are installed.

Lack of dynamic driver instances is one of the biggest pain points of ASCOM. Vendors literally have to install multiple copies of their driver, each with its own slightly different name. It's the reason why you see two ASI Camera drivers for your ZWO cameras, for example.

• psandelle likes this

#4 Starguy999

Starguy999

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the explanation I have emailed Pegasus Astro asking them to provide a driver update and will share their response

#5 Starguy999

Starguy999

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:23 AM

It is on our list to have this feature in the next release. Hopefully by mid November.
Regards,
Evans

• dghent and psandelle like this

#6 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland, US

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

FWIW, this is why a lot of dual/multi scope setups that are controlled by a single PC can have different makes of focusers, rotators, and other ASCOM-controlled gear - it's often because of this ASCOM driver issue. If you want to get around that limitation and have the gear be homogenous, you need multiple PCs to run the gear or experiment with running your imaging inside separate VMs on a single PC. Either way, they're kludgy, annoying, and expensive workarounds. So yes the next best thing is to bribe/convince your accessory vendor of choice to implement multiple copies of their ASCOM drivers.

#7 Starguy999

Starguy999

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:47 PM

Updated driver for dual units is now up on their site

• psandelle likes this

#8 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Ellensburg, WA, USA

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:05 AM

FWIW, this is why a lot of dual/multi scope setups that are controlled by a single PC can have different makes of focusers, rotators, and other ASCOM-controlled gear - it's often because of this ASCOM driver issue. If you want to get around that limitation and have the gear be homogenous, you need multiple PCs to run the gear or experiment with running your imaging inside separate VMs on a single PC. Either way, they're kludgy, annoying, and expensive workarounds. So yes the next best thing is to bribe/convince your accessory vendor of choice to implement multiple copies of their ASCOM drivers.

Don’t you get around this at least partially by using ASCOM remote? We used that with the quad RASA setup to control the focusers but I will have to ask what they are using now.

Edited by 555aaa, 04 November 2021 - 10:08 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics