•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQM35 pro or EQ6R Pro

Astrophotography Beginner Equipment Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sylvester111

Sylvester111

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:24 AM

Hi there,

I’ve been using my Star Adventurer ad EOS RP for a while now but have gotten to a point where the time and effort involved in drift aligning and lack of guiding in dec have made me think I should bite the bullet and upgrade my mount. 

Current equipment is:

Star adventurer, reasonably sturdy video tripod, EOS RP, 100-500mm RF lens, ASI120MM-S camera and mini guide scope (camera and guide scope mounted side by side. I use SharpCap to get an ‘excellent’ polar alignment then use PHD2 drift alignment to try to get better alignment (this is generally where all my time is spent). Then I use PHD2 for guiding. 

Happy to continue with SharpCap and PHD2, but I think I need a sturdier tripod and better mount, particularly to give me alt guiding (and a goto wouldn’t be a bad thing). Currently run from my laptop but might move to an ASIair pro down the line. 

So I’ve been looking and two of the more popular mounts seem to be the EQM35 Pro, or the EQ6R Pro.  The EQM35 seems to have the advantages of lower cost, and being lower weight (which is handy as I live in an apartment so shooting involves a car and sometimes a plane ride).
The advantage of the EQ6R Pro is that it seems to be better built (I’ve seen a few too many discussions with people who have had to disassemble their EQM35 in order to get it working well), and has a higher max payload. That’s not an issue for now, but down the line I will think about getting a real scope so higher payload may, pause for effect, pay off. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on any other advantages or disadvantages that I may not be seeing?  

And if it makes any difference, I am based in NZ, so I don’t have the pole star advantage. 

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:16 AM

Hi there,

I’ve been using my Star Adventurer ad EOS RP for a while now but have gotten to a point where the time and effort involved in drift aligning and lack of guiding in dec have made me think I should bite the bullet and upgrade my mount. 

Current equipment is:

Star adventurer, reasonably sturdy video tripod, EOS RP, 100-500mm RF lens, ASI120MM-S camera and mini guide scope (camera and guide scope mounted side by side. I use SharpCap to get an ‘excellent’ polar alignment then use PHD2 drift alignment to try to get better alignment (this is generally where all my time is spent). Then I use PHD2 for guiding. 

Happy to continue with SharpCap and PHD2, but I think I need a sturdier tripod and better mount, particularly to give me alt guiding (and a goto wouldn’t be a bad thing). Currently run from my laptop but might move to an ASIair pro down the line. 

So I’ve been looking and two of the more popular mounts seem to be the EQM35 Pro, or the EQ6R Pro.  The EQM35 seems to have the advantages of lower cost, and being lower weight (which is handy as I live in an apartment so shooting involves a car and sometimes a plane ride).
The advantage of the EQ6R Pro is that it seems to be better built (I’ve seen a few too many discussions with people who have had to disassemble their EQM35 in order to get it working well), and has a higher max payload. That’s not an issue for now, but down the line I will think about getting a real scope so higher payload may, pause for effect, pay off. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on any other advantages or disadvantages that I may not be seeing?  

And if it makes any difference, I am based in NZ, so I don’t have the pole star advantage. 

You're seeing the situation qualitatively.  I'm not sure you're understanding just how much better a mount the EQ6-R is.  How much imaging time it will save you over messing with an EQM35Pro.

I agree the weight is a serious drawback.  Spending more for a CEM40 or GEM45 gets you EQ6-R quality at less than half the weight.

It's just not intuitive how important the quality of the mount is in DSO AP.  Visual observers have aperture envy.  Imagers have mount envy.  Experienced imagers don't spend big bucks on mounts as a status symbol.

• AhBok, silios, jerahian and 1 other like this

#3 silios

silios

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece, Athens Red Zone (Bortle 9)

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:17 AM

+1 on bobzeq25 thoughts.

And if you still feel the need for a super lightweight portable rig with the EOS and lenses, i would swap the star adventurer with an AZ-GTI.

With some love (like regreasing, after checking it for stiction and such), these pocket mounts are excellent in eq mode for the money and capabilities.

• Sylvester111 likes this

#4 Jay6879

Jay6879

Messenger

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

Hi there,

Current equipment is:

The answer basically everyone will give here is the eq6r pro as it's obviously the more robust mount but you should ask yourself 

1) how portable do you need the mount to be

2) how big do you plan on going in regards to telescope size

I needed something portable, that can easily be taken down and lugged around so I went with the eqm-35 pro, and while you will obviously hear the vocal minority with issues you can find the same thing with the eq6r-pro, or any mount really. I bought the eqm-35, set it up and it's run flawlessly since day one. I haven't needed to take it apart or adjust anything. It just works, and for the cost it can't be beat. 

Eventually down the line when I move to a place where I can have a more permanent or semi permanent setup then I'll get a more heavy duty mount and the eqm-35 will be relegated to when I'm traveling to a dark site or whatever.

You just have to look at what you're planning to do with it, what portability requirements you have and if possible what your future imaging plans may be. 

#5 Sylvester111

Sylvester111

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:48 PM

The answer basically everyone will give here is the eq6r pro as it's obviously the more robust mount but you should ask yourself 

1) how portable do you need the mount to be

2) how big do you plan on going in regards to telescope size

I needed something portable, that can easily be taken down and lugged around so I went with the eqm-35 pro, and while you will obviously hear the vocal minority with issues you can find the same thing with the eq6r-pro, or any mount really. I bought the eqm-35, set it up and it's run flawlessly since day one. I haven't needed to take it apart or adjust anything. It just works, and for the cost it can't be beat. 

Eventually down the line when I move to a place where I can have a more permanent or semi permanent setup then I'll get a more heavy duty mount and the eqm-35 will be relegated to when I'm traveling to a dark site or whatever.

You just have to look at what you're planning to do with it, what portability requirements you have and if possible what your future imaging plans may be. 

That’s good to know. I was surprised to see a few threads about issues people were having and suspected that I was reading a bit too much into the EQM35 having fundamental issues. The good thing is that at least if I got one and anything did go wrong with it, there’s a lot of info about how to fix it out there :-)

it sounds like I’m in a similar situation to you where if I lived somewhere where I could just pop outside and shoot, then the EQ6R would be a no-brainer, but as I will have to travel with it, I might be better off going for the 35 as a stepping stone and upgrading to a 6R down the line. 

• Jay6879 likes this

#6 Sheridan

Sheridan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:53 PM

I am having the same conversation with myself lately.

#7 oatmeal

oatmeal

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sonoma County, CA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:18 PM

No mention of the HEQ5? After a belt mod and a little tuning, it's a super solid performer for me. Pairs very well with my widefield and super widefield rigs, which are both under 20lbs total. Average guiding is 0.6-0.8, sometimes better with great seeing. The only thing it can't do is tolerate a moderately stiff breeze.

I have an EQ6-R as well. It's heavy to lug, but not impossible, and will carry a 5" refractor for AP, giving you room to grow.

But for a grab & go, the HEQ5 & my GT81 are a sweet little match

#8 Jay6879

Jay6879

Messenger

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:33 PM

That’s good to know. I was surprised to see a few threads about issues people were having and suspected that I was reading a bit too much into the EQM35 having fundamental issues. The good thing is that at least if I got one and anything did go wrong with it, there’s a lot of info about how to fix it out there :-)

it sounds like I’m in a similar situation to you where if I lived somewhere where I could just pop outside and shoot, then the EQ6R would be a no-brainer, but as I will have to travel with it, I might be better off going for the 35 as a stepping stone and upgrading to a 6R down the line. 

I was in your exact position actually, and from what I had been reading the eqm was an absolute disaster. What I ended up doing was talking to a few users here and at Stargazers lounge who I noticed had mentioned in passing that they were using the eqm35 or saw their signature saying they had an eqm35, through conversations with these people the general consensus was as long as you're aware of the weight limitations the mount is fantastic. Thankfully I looked beyond the vocal minority with issues and the usual "just spend $700 more and get an eq6r-pro" responses to get a more varied outlook. There will always be some people with issues, as with any product, and like I said before you have to look at the parameters of what you're looking for in a mount. Sure the eq6r-pro is top notch, but will it fit your specific needs?

Another thing I did was I talked to the guy at my local telescope shop, he's always been very informative and straight up when it came to purchasing decisions. It was going to be either the Celestron avx or the eqm-35 for me and despite him obviously making more money off the avx transaction he recommended the eqm35. He said he's never had a single eqm-35 come back, while he's had multiple avx units come back, so that kinda sealed the deal.

As for portability, it can't be beat and it comes with a nice 1.75" stainless tripod. I can't say enough good things about the eqm-35, based on my experience. Is the eq6r-pro a more robust and capable mount? No doubt, but for what my needs were the eqm-35 has performed admirably.

Edited by Jay6879, 28 October 2021 - 03:37 PM.

• Sheridan, LauraMS, Signal2Noise and 1 other like this

#9 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 28 October 2021 - 10:33 PM

My EQM-35Pro has been perfect since day one.

Could not be more pleased!

Clear skies & Good seeing
  • Jay6879 likes this

#10 Jay6879

Jay6879

Messenger

Posted 29 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

My EQM-35Pro has been perfect since day one.

Could not be more pleased!

Clear skies & Good seeing

How does the eqm-35 handle the 100ed? Do you image with it? I have been using a Zenithstar 61ii but lately I've been curious at how much bigger I could go if I want to in the future.

Edited by Jay6879, 29 October 2021 - 09:25 AM.

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:10 AM

How does the eqm-35 handle the 100ed? Do you image with it? I have been using a Zenithstar 61ii but lately I've been curious at how much bigger I could go if I want to in the future.

A key point.  DSO imaging is far more dependent on the mount than visual.  The mount is more important than the scope for imaging.

No way would I image with a good 100mm on the EQM35.  Weight is not the only factor here, meeting the weight restriction is just a threshold test.  Focal length magnifies tracking errors.  Some of the quality of the scope would be lost.

For DSO imaging, if your scope costs more than your mount you're in dangerous territory.  On the other side, experienced imagers will sometimes put a $1000 scope on a $5000+ mount, and it's not a silly thing to do.  I've never seen a post here where someone regrets getting "too good" a mount for imaging.

Edited by bobzeq25, 29 October 2021 - 10:13 AM.

#12 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:36 AM

I use the EQ6-R and carry it in a Pelican case when traveling.  I posted details on the travel case in this thread:  https://www.cloudyni...nd-travel-case/

(March 29, 2021 post in MOUNTS titled Equatorial Mount Storage and Travel Case)

Pelican website lists size and weight of the case.  The cased mount is definitely not light, but I did take the wheels and telescoping handle off the case and just carry it by the side handle.

Good luck.

Gary

#13 Hesiod

Hesiod

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2021 - 11:33 AM

The RF100-500 is rather slow but also very compact so in my opinion a heavy mount makes sense only if plan to upgrade to a telescope in a near future: I have an eq6-sized mount (the sxd2) and never uses it with the rf100-500 because it would be an unnecessary chore (beside the lens/camera is so light that could not even be balanced w/o any CWs. Not that really matters, but helps to put things in the right perspective).

To be honest even a  mount such as the eq35 is not exactly something you would fit in your cameras' bag for a shooting in the wilderness: if are more familiar with photographical equipment, mounts such as the eq35 resembles "studio tripods" which indeed are designed to be sturdy, not to be moved easily (and for the eq6 may figure a "fixed" professional video stand).

If want goto and the possibility to guide also for DEC there are several options, but obviously it depends on the budget: "fancy" little mounts like the RST135 or Crux Mini would check all the marks (your setup will be more or less as large as your current ones) at boutique prices; less you pay, more the compromises you have to accept, be them weight, features or the need for (more or less extensive) tinkering.

As I value more a night spent tinkering with the mount that a night spent on your coach because the mount was large enough to make you to want to pass, I am very wary at suggesting something like the eq6 (or even the heq5) for such a diminutive payload, barely above 2kg.

If have the fund for the eq6, then look at something like the cem25 (it may think it as a sort of better alternative to the eq35); if have the funds for just the eq35 mind that it will be anyway better than the star adventurer (unless defective).

That unless are already eyeing some telescopes. My opinion is that you should ignore most telescopes under 5" (unless are craving for speed, but mind that in this case may stick with photographic lenses and opt for a fast prime*), but in such case I would also want an eq6-class mount. The overall setup will be large, heavy (tens of kilos) and cumbersome, but that's how telescopes are.

If are as lazy as am I, in such case I expect that your Star Adventurer will see a lot of use even after the purchase of the mountlol.gif

*there are PROs and CONs, probably the biggest issue is the much higher price you'd pay for the prime lens

#14 HowardSD

HowardSD

Mariner 2

• Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:47 PM

Just last week I got an EQM-35 pro as I needed a mount capable of handling lighter loads. I also have an AVX that does great with my Z103, 6 min subs no issue however not good with lighter scopes as many have found out, a little tinkering may solve that but I'm not a tinkerer and don't want to ruin the good thing I have going on with it for the larger scope.

Now back to the EQM, firstly, nice and lightweight yet the tripod seems pretty sturdy (I've back issues and my AVX is a handful), easy to pickup both the tripod with mount attached for me even!

Loving the polar scope, my AVX doesn't have one and I use ASPA, much better PA with the EQM (although not having it illuminated is a PIA but use a flashlight in front of the opening, bit fiddly but works).

Hand control easy to use but as I had heard prior, the goto's are not as accurate as the AVX so far true, bit of a nuisance when slewing to nebulae as even with a finder scope you cant really see if it's there or not and I'm having trouble here (posted about this today on here). Only used 3 times now so may figure things out better... so that's a question mark.

Balancing my Z61, guidecam, finder, ASI 120mc-s, ASI533MC pro, easy to do.

Guiding with PHD2, so far results are acceptable, not great but on wide field targets you have a bit more leeway, currently shooting 4 min subs and mostly keepers. I've noticed a tendancy to get good guiding for a while then it has a bit of a wild freak out then all good again. I have questions about this on here also posted today, you might want to keep an eye out for hopefully some answers, might help you with your decision.

Like I said had not even a week so the verdicts out for now but it seems promising. If I only had small scopes this is a no brainer over the AVX as mine doesn't work with them. For the 100mm the AVX is better (guessing a bit here), more sturdy, handles the load easily, good to great guiding, don't think i'll even try that scope on this mount it is a bit small looking in comparison to the AVX.

Hope this helps!

• Signal2Noise and Sylvester111 like this

#15 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

Hi Jay!

No, I dont image and if I did the biggest I would go is a light 80mm on it.

For visual it performs well with my 4"apo, not perfect but very adequate for quick looks and long sessions both with my long tube and at 135× a big rap to the ota damps out in under a second.

I am very happy user.

Good enough that I feel as if I am missing nothing except saving carrying out a much heavier GEM. 😃

Good luck!

Cs & Gs
  • Signal2Noise and Jay6879 like this

#16 Muskoka

Muskoka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Muskoka Ontario 45 degrees N

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:16 AM

I've also had no issues, a little tweaking here and there, with my Eqm-35 Pro, and DSO imaging, it just works. Great budget minded mount, that doesn't get enough respect. I'm consitently in the 0.8" total RMS range, more than acceptable for my imaging needs. And goto's are always spot on, never outside the eyepiece with reasonable magnification.

• Signal2Noise and Jay6879 like this

#17 Signal2Noise

Signal2Noise

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51.0486° N | 114.0708° W

Posted 03 November 2021 - 11:15 AM

I too was in same dilemma as OP with the choice in mounts. I'm starting out in AP so there were a couple of deciding factors that came into play when I made the selection: 1) Availability and 2) Portability. Over the last while the EQ6R-Pro has been out of stock/backordered and same for the HEQ5. The versatility of the EQM-35, being 'modular' also piqued my interest. It was the first to become available in stock so I went for it. I've always planned on keeping it light for my initial foray anyway and if the interest sticks I'll move to more heftier mount/scope arrangement. If it doesn't stick I'm not out big bucks and the AP rig still looks good on display cool.gif (or a make a great visual mount with higher payload).

One thing to note is some of the problems experienced by users of the EQM35 is the tracking/movement which can be resolved with firmware. The latest release fixes the DEC axis calculation, Periodic Error (PE) cycle values, and a fix for (possibly) high power current issues. So worth a look if your mount is on older FW.

Here's a couple of helpful threads for EQM35 if anyone hasn't seen already:

https://www.cloudyni...ght/?p=10186503

https://www.cloudyni...ror/?p=11437522

• PKDfan, Muskoka, Jay6879 and 1 other like this

#18 HowardSD

HowardSD

Mariner 2

• Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

I've also had no issues, a little tweaking here and there, with my Eqm-35 Pro, and DSO imaging, it just works. Great budget minded mount, that doesn't get enough respect. I'm consitently in the 0.8" total RMS range, more than acceptable for my imaging needs. And goto's are always spot on, never outside the eyepiece with reasonable magnification.

Re: your spot on Goto's, I'm having a devil of a time with getting mine to hit the target!

I get great PA especially compared to my AVX. tried one star, 2 & 3 star aligns all successful however when it comes to slewing to a target, first one to a bright star to focus the scope it works then onto a faint nebula and it's way off, I'm lucky if i can catch an edge of nebulosity so I can manually center. This is becoming a major source of frustration. Whereas I can be up and imaging within 30 mins with the AVX this is taking me ages, last night hour & half, three hours of imaging cut down to 2, then i made a silly mistake and knocked the scope off target after 6 x 4 min subs. With my other mount this wouldn't have been a problem but this, didn't want to spend another hour getting back on track, so all in all yet another frustrating night with the EQM!!!!!!!

#19 Muskoka

Muskoka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Muskoka Ontario 45 degrees N

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:19 PM

Re: your spot on Goto's, I'm having a devil of a time with getting mine to hit the target!

I get great PA especially compared to my AVX. tried one star, 2 & 3 star aligns all successful however when it comes to slewing to a target, first one to a bright star to focus the scope it works then onto a faint nebula and it's way off, I'm lucky if i can catch an edge of nebulosity so I can manually center. This is becoming a major source of frustration. Whereas I can be up and imaging within 30 mins with the AVX this is taking me ages, last night hour & half, three hours of imaging cut down to 2, then i made a silly mistake and knocked the scope off target after 6 x 4 min subs. With my other mount this wouldn't have been a problem but this, didn't want to spend another hour getting back on track, so all in all yet another frustrating night with the EQM!!!!!!!

Well, if I wasn't about 4,000 kms away I'd come over and have a look with you.wink.gif  Sorry I can't be of any help.

The first night I setup the mount (about a year ago now) I put the Meade 390 on it just for fun, pretty long refractor. A friend came over to see what all the fuss was about. We did a 3 star alignment, and the first target we slewed to was almost dead center in the eyepiece. All I heard from my buddy was "Wow is that ever cool". I was pretty impressed myself. It's my first goto mount. It's been that way ever since.

Same with plate solving when I'm imaging dso's. After dialing in the PA in Sharpcap Pro, I fire up NINA, choose a target, plate solving usually takes a couple tries, and the target is dead center. I've been imaging planets for a while now, but the last time I imaged M31 I was using 180 second exposures, round stars corner to corner. Once I removed the Hotec Flattener that is, and bought the W/O 61a flattener, but that's for another story.

Again, I know that's no help, but it's been my experience since day one with this mount. Yes, I've adjusted things here and there, keep a close eye on the dec, and ra backlash. If I don't like it, I adjust it. Think I've adjusted them 2 times in the last year.

Edited by Muskoka, 03 November 2021 - 02:29 PM.

• Signal2Noise and PKDfan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Equipment, Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics