•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Building & optimising a 20-inch Dob

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Radice

Mark Radice

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salisbury, UK

Posted 01 November 2021 - 12:40 PM

We had lovely clear skies at England’s Kelling Heath star party - even if the dew was horrendous!

My golden rule of star parties is to set up next to someone’s big dob so I was lucky to be near Alan Marriott’s 20-inch homemade dobsonian. He has put together a wonderful set up with GoTo and tracking, plus improved primary & secondary collimation, wheelbarrow handles and a rotary filter wheel.

I uploaded a video as Alan talks myself and fellow club members through his design and build before we diverge off into deep sky observing through a big scope.

reduced picture.jpg

Very useful content if you are building (or planning) a big scope or even just thinking of getting a big dob.

A beautiful instrument and the views of the Orion nebula in the small hours of the morning weren’t too shabby either!

reduced IMG_5875.jpg

Edited by Mark Radice, 01 November 2021 - 12:42 PM.

• Diego, tim53, PrestonE and 3 others like this

#2 Mark Radice

Mark Radice

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salisbury, UK

Posted 01 November 2021 - 12:42 PM

And a few more pics showing the secondary collimation and the wonderful control box. 

Attached Thumbnails

• reduced IMG_5891.jpg
  • reduced IMG_5904.jpg

Edited by Mark Radice, 01 November 2021 - 12:44 PM.

• Adam Long and DAG792 like this

#3 Taosmath

Taosmath

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 November 2021 - 01:11 PM

I like the rotational adjustment screws on the secondary.  I think I'll try that on my scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics