•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

School group scheduled observing during a full moon - Help!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:12 AM

I have done it with a scout group -once, the kids loved it;

but I agree with John it was poor judgement by me.

The Moon may be boring with us, but kids are really wowed,

much more in my experience than those "little things" up there.

edj

Yes, there is always the possibility of "ow, my eye", even if it didn't happen.  People are really out to get others these days.   I won't do public outreach at all.

#27 1983cowboy

1983cowboy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:40 PM

Thank you everyone for all the input!

All in all, it was a success. We had about 50 kids and their parents show up - although a few of those parents just dropped their kids off and left. That's something we'll ask them not to do next time. We adults ended up having to wait for about half an hour for them to be picked up after we packed up. 

Anyway, with that many kids we were spending tons of time on the moon and available planets and there wasn't too much time to move on to anything else. We gave them a look at Alberio and the Pleiades - and before we were able to move over to some clusters in Cassiopeia, other kids were asking for a turn on the planets. So the full moon wasn't as much of a headache as it could have been. 

Thanks again!

Edited by 1983cowboy, Yesterday, 11:05 AM.

• maroubra_boy, Jim4321, Benschop and 1 other like this

#28 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 02:57 AM

Sounds like you had to chew like mad on the night! :lol:

That's great to hear. And a lot of energy to tame from the kids. But that's why we do this, the thrill of the event, energy of the people & to share our passion for astro & learning :)

Alex.

#29 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

There was a parent, years ago, whom, judging by her prominent position, would be responsible, who would drop her mid teens son off at our astronomy club meetings, then be terribly late picking up, or not show at all.  So, some of us had to provide emergency rides.  I can sympathize with the ones who had to wait with the children.  Your rule should be accompanied by parent, or do not come.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, Yesterday, 09:12 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics