•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellina _ Redux

• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#601 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:03 PM

I recently sent a message to Vaonis Customer Support, asking about the rumored Solar Filter for the Stellina.

On the Facebook group, there was recently a leak showing Stellina's solar capture interface and result. So, this is indeed working. Vaonis employees said it's coming soon but without any precise date.

• GSBass likes this

#602 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:30 PM

I never saw that leak, do you have it handy? I have been curious about how this will work

On the Facebook group, there was recently a leak showing Stellina's solar capture interface and result. So, this is indeed working. Vaonis employees said it's coming soon but without any precise date.

#603 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:47 PM

I never saw that leak, do you have it handy? I have been curious about how this will work

Are you on the FB group? It was posted on May 10, at 18h06

Edited by CptNautilus, 17 May 2022 - 04:48 PM.

#604 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:19 PM

I think it was more of an unofficial test by a Stellina Owner.   Images from the FB post...Pat Utah smile.gif

A reply / post from the author onFB:

"Capitaine Nautilus it’s not available from the mobile app but you can find it here: (1.30.x software series only)

The third panel from the left is the “solar eclipse UI”.  It is supposed to be used with the proper Vaonis filter but I just sellotaped some Astro-solar film over the lens. In half an hour of capturing the sensor temperature never got over 28C."

and the reply / post from Vaonis:

Céline Vaonis   Admin

"Hello Jonathan! We know how much you enjoy your Stellina and that you are aware of the amazing abilities our instrument has. Features you have found lately were just development/test features. There is a step between testing and releasing and that’s what our team has been working on the last couple of months with these features. Solar pointing will be released at the beginning of this summer. In the meantime, feel free to keep using them but I’m afraid that any damage involved by the use of these features will cancel the warranty of your instrument : our customer care has been there to assist our clients throughout any issues they might be having with their instrument.Let me know if I can be of any further assistance."

Attached Thumbnails

• 280181313_10161475880947656_1388430206991593802_n.jpg
  • 279611924_10161475907287656_5810629529050751397_n.jpg

• nwcs, davidparks and GSBass like this

#605 mdiastro

mdiastro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Patchogue, Long Island & St.Albans, UK

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:44 PM

Clear sky, but windy (15 - 15 kph), the increased to 25 kph - bedtime!
Botrle 8/9
Messier 64 - Black Eye Galaxy 15/5/22.  30mins @10s subs
NGC 4565 (4562,  IC3456) - Needle Galaxy 15/05/22.  20 mins @10s subs. Two much fainter galaxies also in frame.
Messier 13 - Hercules Cluster 15/5/22 . 3m 50s @ 10s subs
All cropped all much better at full resolution.

Attached Thumbnails

• Messier 64 - Black Eye Galaxy Cropped.jpeg
  • NGC 4565 (4562,  IC3456) - Needle Galaxy Cropped.jpeg

• Larry Hansen, Jon_Doh, roelb and 6 others like this

#606 mdiastro

mdiastro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Patchogue, Long Island & St.Albans, UK

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:44 PM

and...

Attached Thumbnails

• Messier 13 - Hercules Cluster Cropped.jpeg

• Bill Jensen, Larry Hansen, roelb and 6 others like this

#607 ibid

ibid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2022 - 10:16 AM

I use Stellina with a USB stick to collect FITS images. But is there a way to have it also store the final auto-stacked image for each object in an observation plan?

#608 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

Posted 26 May 2022 - 10:26 AM

I think yes… in the new settings menu you can enable what is saved at the end of the exposure, this is the menu that you can only get to when the scope is connected to the app

#609 nwcs

nwcs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 30 May 2022 - 09:23 AM

I use Stellina with a USB stick to collect FITS images. But is there a way to have it also store the final auto-stacked image for each object in an observation plan?

It will if you select the jpg or tiff option for the USB stick. When you stop an observation (or when Plan My Night moves to a new target) it will save a final tiff or jpeg of the default Stellina stack in the same folder as the fits. If you look at the timestamps, it will be the last timestamps.

Now if you tell Stellina to re-focus while on a target you will see a new folder within the capture area on the USB stick and it will restart the auto-stacked image. The first folder won't have an auto-stack because you manually restarted but the second capture folder will but will only be the image from after it started gathering images again for the new stack.

• GSBass and ibid like this

#610 ibid

ibid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 May 2022 - 01:47 PM

It will if you select the jpg or tiff option for the USB stick. When you stop an observation (or when Plan My Night moves to a new target) it will save a final tiff or jpeg of the default Stellina stack in the same folder as the fits. If you look at the timestamps, it will be the last timestamps.

Now if you tell Stellina to re-focus while on a target you will see a new folder within the capture area on the USB stick and it will restart the auto-stacked image. The first folder won't have an auto-stack because you manually restarted but the second capture folder will but will only be the image from after it started gathering images again for the new stack.

Thanks very much for the very clear description.

Edited by ibid, 30 May 2022 - 01:58 PM.

• nwcs likes this

#611 spereira

spereira

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:32 AM

FYI, I got a notice from Vaonis this morning about the latest update:

Singularity app version:

Android : 1.6.8  
iOS : 1.6.5

Stellina software version : V2.6

I've already updated my Singularity and then my Stellina.  All seems to be well.  All I was able to do so far was connect and open the arm, but that gave me the opportunity to use my rocket blower to blow off a few speck of pollen that had collected on the objective.  The real test will come when I get a clear night - and, of course, the weather is not scheduled to cooperate for a few days...

smp

#612 spereira

spereira

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:36 AM

Well, I suppose I ought to let you all know the contents of the update, too:

This version contains :

the addition of 10 new objects in the catalog :
1 Spiral galaxy
2 Lenticular galaxy
2 Globular cluster
1 Open cluster
1 Planetary nebula
2 Emission nebula

Bug Fixes

- - -

I was hoping to see something about Solar observing, but not in this upgrade.  Too bad, but I will take all that they can offer!

smp

#613 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

Posted 07 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, I’ve been keeping an eye on accessory page, nothing yet, not sure what’s up with the filters, I know they have them in house and we’re suppose to drop by the end of May, hopefully new info will come out soon

Well, I suppose I ought to let you all know the contents of the update, too:

This version contains :

the addition of 10 new objects in the catalog :
1 Spiral galaxy
2 Lenticular galaxy
2 Globular cluster
1 Open cluster
1 Planetary nebula
2 Emission nebula

Bug Fixes

- - -

I was hoping to see something about Solar observing, but not in this upgrade.  Too bad, but I will take all that they can offer!

smp

• spereira likes this

#614 ibid

ibid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:38 PM

In case anyone is interested, I finally found a 20000 mAh battery that will fit inside Stellina with the door closed. It is the VRURC  PowerBank T2055. Its USB-C output is listed at 5V 3.0A (9V 2.2A, 12V 1.5A). I bought it for $35 USD on Amazon.

I initially thought it didn't come with a cable, just a wrist strap. But it turns out that the strap is actually a clever USB C - USB C cable. If you elect to attach the strap assembly to the battery it is still possible to get everything inside with the door closed -- it's just a little fiddly to position things correctly. Without the strap it fits nicely.

Unrelated to the above, I plan to mount an Apple Airtag inside the battery enclosure or elsewhere, if I can get it to fit. I'm doing this because I will occasionally leave the unit in a (not heavily traveled area) of a nearby conservation area to run a plan overnight. I've done this once so far, retrieving it early in the morning before other visitors arrived. I know this is a little risky, but I live surrounded by high trees and the lure of a location down the street with views down to about 15 degrees in all directions is strong...

Last: I have no affiliation with Apple or with the battery manufacturer -- just sharing.

• vetie likes this

#615 vetie

vetie

Lift Off

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:55 PM

In case anyone is interested, I finally found a 20000 mAh battery that will fit inside Stellina with the door closed. It is the VRURC  PowerBank T2055. Its USB-C output is listed at 5V 3.0A (9V 2.2A, 12V 1.5A). I bought it for $35 USD on Amazon.

I initially thought it didn't come with a cable, just a wrist strap. But it turns out that the strap is actually a clever USB C - USB C cable. If you elect to attach the strap assembly to the battery it is still possible to get everything inside with the door closed -- it's just a little fiddly to position things correctly. Without the strap it fits nicely.

Unrelated to the above, I plan to mount an Apple Airtag inside the battery enclosure or elsewhere, if I can get it to fit. I'm doing this because I will occasionally leave the unit in a (not heavily traveled area) of a nearby conservation area to run a plan overnight. I've done this once so far, retrieving it early in the morning before other visitors arrived. I know this is a little risky, but I live surrounded by high trees and the lure of a location down the street with views down to about 15 degrees in all directions is strong...

Last: I have no affiliation with Apple or with the battery manufacturer -- just sharing.

Thank you for posting this as I am looking for a higher capacity battery that will fit inside the Stellina enclosure. 

#616 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:11 PM

I was able to update the latest SW this evening.  Seems like the Stellina is a little more responsive.  I was able to image M94 last night which has proven to be a thorn in my side for the past 2-3 months... Messier count 93 completed, 17 to go... Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• M94_June_06_2022 copy.jpeg

Edited by Alien Observatory, 07 June 2022 - 09:12 PM.

• Bill Jensen, roelb, DRohrman and 1 other like this

#617 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:15 AM

had my first Stellina sighting in the "wild" last Friday evening at the Cherry Springs Star Party!  (setup about 50 ft from me).

The two gentlemen running it did a great job explaining how it worked to me and an imaging buddy and showed us via their cellphones the images they were getting. Pretty cool! (I returned the favor and showed them my more traditional EAA setup.)

Attached Thumbnails

• Stelina.jpg

• oneuke, alphatripleplus, roelb and 6 others like this

#618 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 08 June 2022 - 08:11 AM

had my first Stellina sighting in the "wild" last Friday evening at the Cherry Springs Star Party!  (setup about 50 ft from me).

I haven't spotted one yet, but I haven't been to a Star Party in a while.smile.gif

#619 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2022 - 10:13 AM

I captured a couple of Globular Clusters last night despite a very bright moon.  Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon_June_7_2022.jpeg

• Larry Hansen, Jon_Doh, roelb and 1 other like this

#620 davidparks

davidparks

Apollo

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:58 AM

I'll be trying a few "shootouts" between my primary rig and Stellina whenever opportunity presents.  Primary rig is an ASIAIR controlled RST135/Redcat 71/ASI2600mc.

The primary rig is EQ, and therefore I'll be doing longer exposures (1 - 2 minute) compared to Stellina's 10 second exposure, but generally the same integration times.

The goal isn't really to see which one is 'better', I fully expect the primary rig to produce better pictures, but rather to have a 'baseline' to compare just how good Stellina can be.

So far, I am really impressed with the quality of Stellina's images, they aren't really that far off from my primary rig, all things considered.

One of the things I truly enjoy about  my primary rig, is that it is quick, and easy to use, and works, just works, without issue, without fail.  ASIAIR has a lot to do with that success.  I can just carry it out, set it down, turn it on, and I am watching images form in very short order, with no troubles, and with all the hassle free experience of autofocus, platesolving, etc.  And for how much I advocate for this 'total experience' as a value factor, Stellina does it even better.  It doesn't get easier, just set it down, turn it on, and you are viewing images in very short order.  The Singularity App is a wonderfully enjoyable experience. 

My primary rig doesn't take much assembly as portable rigs go, very minimal, and I'm proud of that... but Stellina, needs zero assembly, none at all.  So there is a paradigm shift in the way I might think about travel/portability.  Of course there are camping trips, and other trips, that are purposed towards astronomy, so I'll take them both.  But other trips, like... just going over to visit the parents, when only occasionally I might take the primary rig because I explicitly PLAN to use it, whereas with Stellina, I'll just take it always, and just because who knows, I MIGHT use it...  it's just that easy to include.

Thank you all for sharing! 

• Alien Observatory, steveincolo and vetie like this

#621 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2022 - 10:47 AM

I have been working on the two areas that the Stellina is not suitable for, Hi Res Planetary use and Very Wide Field use.  I decided to use my Tokina 11 - 16 mm Lens, paired with a ZWO 183 mc to address the Very Wild Field use (Milky Way, Meteor  Showers...).  

For now it is mounted on a Tri Pod as the Pixel resolution is about 30 arc sec per Pixel in Bin 1 and would allow up to a 30 sec exposure with no tracking.  I want to make it very portable (no cable / computer required) and have started looking at the ASIAir as the Wireless solution using my iPad.  A work in progress for now.  The Stellina has worked very well for me and could not be happier with the images it produces.

M27 last night, Stellina, 10 sec subs, 15 minutes, Gain 20, Bin 2.   Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• M27_June_8_2022 copy.jpeg

• roelb, davidparks, steveincolo and 1 other like this

#622 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

Posted 09 June 2022 - 03:17 PM

Impressive, I have not imaged it this season yet, does not rise above my trees til around 1am, guess I have a month still before all the great summer nebulas start rising at a reasonable hour here, I stayed up late one night to get Eagle and that was fun

I have been working on the two areas that the Stellina is not suitable for, Hi Res Planetary use and Very Wide Field use.  I decided to use my Tokina 11 - 16 mm Lens, paired with a ZWO 183 mc to address the Very Wild Field use (Milky Way, Meteor  Showers...).  

For now it is mounted on a Tri Pod as the Pixel resolution is about 30 arc sec per Pixel in Bin 1 and would allow up to a 30 sec exposure with no tracking.  I want to make it very portable (no cable / computer required) and have started looking at the ASIAir as the Wireless solution using my iPad.  A work in progress for now.  The Stellina has worked very well for me and could not be happier with the images it produces.

M27 last night, Stellina, 10 sec subs, 15 minutes, Gain 20, Bin 2.   Pat Utah smile.gif

#623 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2022 - 11:21 PM

And a very bright Moon out tonight... Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon_June_10_2022.jpeg

Edited by Alien Observatory, 10 June 2022 - 11:23 PM.

• Bill Jensen, steveincolo and bips3453 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics