•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellina _ Redux

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#101 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:42 AM

A good night of Observations.  NGC 1499 was very poor (California Nebula), M34, 35,36,37, 38 were Good at 15 minutes each (attached M35 Image).  The onto M81 / M82 but WIFI problems then took over.  I suspect the iPad which was running a HDMI input on the 50" TV and was running low on Power and went into some type of Low Power Mode configuration. But a Good Evening of capturing Messier objects with the Stellina...  Pat Utah smile.gif

p.s.  The small cluster at the Botton / Right is NGC 2158 as a Bonus...Astr.Net shows the Image to be 62 x 41.6 arc min's and the resolution at 3.27 arc sec / pixel

Attached Thumbnails

• M35_Nov_28_202 copy.jpeg

Edited by Alien Observatory, 29 November 2021 - 11:48 AM.

• Larry Hansen, roelb, steveincolo and 3 others like this

#102 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:30 PM

I did a Hi Res (Bin 1) image of M77 last night.  Much better than my Low Res (Bin 2) image from late October.  30 minute image before the dreaded Temp Warning came on.  

Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• M77_Nov_29_2021_HR copy.jpeg

Edited by Alien Observatory, 30 November 2021 - 02:32 PM.

• Bill Jensen, Larry Hansen, roelb and 1 other like this

#103 Larry Hansen

Larry Hansen

Messenger

• Loc: MIchigan - Nevada in winter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:54 PM

I did a Hi Res (Bin 1) image of M77 last night.  Much better than my Low Res (Bin 2) image from late October.  30 minute image before the dreaded Temp Warning came on.  

Pat Utah smile.gif

I like using high res also,  especially on smaller objects.  I can appreciate it more now that I have upgraded my tablet to a S7+ which has 2800 x 1752 resolution on a 12.4" screen.  I don't have a high res TV so the tablet is the best that I can do for now.  It is nice to be able to zoom way in without loosing to much quality.  

The only draw back to high res is that it takes more time and you can get the temperature warning.  I have run over the temperature warning by about a half an hour and the image still looks pretty good though.  I sure hope Vaonis fixes the auto focus so we do not have to restart the capture.

• Alien Observatory likes this

#104 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 01:04 AM

I like using high res also,  especially on smaller objects.  I can appreciate it more now that I have upgraded my tablet to a S7+ which has 2800 x 1752 resolution on a 12.4" screen.  I don't have a high res TV so the tablet is the best that I can do for now.  It is nice to be able to zoom way in without loosing to much quality.  

The only draw back to high res is that it takes more time and you can get the temperature warning.  I have run over the temperature warning by about a half an hour and the image still looks pretty good though.  I sure hope Vaonis fixes the auto focus so we do not have to restart the capture.

Yes the Temp Warning without starting a new Stack is the Number One reason I can not get more Targets imaged every night I have the Stellina outside.  Pat Utah :)

#105 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

Just curious what happens when the user ignores this temp warning for redoing an autofocus? Can you override it so that autofocus is not intiated on the next stack?

#106 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Messenger

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:08 AM

Just curious what happens when the user ignores this temp warning for redoing an autofocus? Can you override it so that autofocus is not intiated on the next stack?

If you ignore it, Stellina continues to collect data and stack them internally. The stars will begin to look increasingly bloated. It's a question of taste how far you are willing to accept that.

Meanwhile, if you have plugged an USB stick, FITS will continue to be saved on it, so that you can later decide yourself which one you want to process.

If you want to use the TIFF, you must remember that one will be saved automatically when you stop the capture. That might be too late, with stars already too bloated. My advice would be in that case to save TIFF manually along the way, so that you can later choose which one looks the best to you.

• alphatripleplus and Alien Observatory like this

#107 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:32 AM

My personal experience (very limited) when viewing in my local conditions (LP + Haze) and viewing on a 4k 50" TV, I saw star's bloating in less than a minute after the Temp Warning.  I stopped the stack as I did not wanting to degrade the image (Hi Res M77).  I saved in JPEG which was a 2.2 Mb image and good enough for my purposes.  Pat Utah :)

• alphatripleplus likes this

#108 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. One last question on this - Presumably the  temp warning comes on after a specified temperature change, or is Stellina monitoring something else, like star FWHM, when it signals a temp warning?

Edit: I see that someone earlier in the thread so that the temp warning was  triggered for him usually when there is a 5F change in temp.

#109 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:18 PM

I would think the Auto Focus routine uses FWHM as it takes a minute or to two complete.   I am reasonable sure the 3C delta temp warning is based on their analysis and testing as it seems to be accurate based on my observations.   Pat Utah smile.gif

Edited by Alien Observatory, 01 December 2021 - 02:30 PM.

#110 nwcs

nwcs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. One last question on this - Presumably the  temp warning comes on after a specified temperature change, or is Stellina monitoring something else, like star FWHM, when it signals a temp warning?

Edit: I see that someone earlier in the thread so that the temp warning was  triggered for him usually when there is a 5F change in temp.

It's a 3C or ~5F temperature change as measured by the raspberry pi in the device. I also noticed that the ambient temperature of the device tends to be a degree or so off from my outdoor thermometer so perhaps there are some minor variances involved as well.

#111 Larry Hansen

Larry Hansen

Messenger

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:27 PM

Here is an example of a capture that was continued for a bit after the temperature warning.  I am not sure how long the capture continued after the warning, but the capture took around 2 hours and 15 minutes.  It is a 1 hour exposure or 360 10 second frames in high res.  Image is cropped to make the size small enough to post here.  Because it is cropped by quite a bit it appears a lot larger than the uncropped image.  The warning said that the temperature had dropped by 4 degrees.  Image is NGC7008, Fetus Nebula.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-11-30 NGC7008 60m Hr cropped.jpg

• Alien Observatory and mdiastro like this

#112 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Messenger

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:26 PM

The sensor has a thermometer, whose measurement is stored in the FITS header. But I don't think that is what Stellina is using to send its warning. Stellina has a thermometer and a hygrometer. The first seems to be used for refocus warning and the second for starting or stopping the anti-dew heater.

I don't know where the thermometer is placed but I have the impression that its reading changes depending how Stellina's tube is positioned. It often happens that when I go to an new target, which causes the tube to rotate, the temperature suddenly change by, say 0.5°C (up or down). On one occasion, I was taking shots of Ceres. I wanted to take one every 30 minutes or so, to make an animation of its movement. In between, I was collecting FITS on another target. Stellina was thus making back and forth movements between the two object, which were quite far apart in the sky. I could see the temperature, as measured by Stellina, move up and down on these occasions.

#113 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Messenger

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:30 PM

My personal experience (very limited) when viewing in my local conditions (LP + Haze) and viewing on a 4k 50" TV, I saw star's bloating in less than a minute after the Temp Warning.  I stopped the stack as I did not wanting to degrade the image (Hi Res M77).  I saved in JPEG which was a 2.2 Mb image and good enough for my purposes.  Pat Utah smile.gif

It really depends on your local conditions. Early in the night, the temperature drops very fast. Later, it is more stable. In my eyes, after looking at so many FITS, I know that when Stellina complains about focus, it is already too late for my taste. My routine is to refocus whenever the temperature changes by 1°C.

Yes, that means I keep an eye on the app to check the temperature and be ready to hit the refocus button. I can do this from my chair at my computer, in the warmth of my home, so that still beats being sitting in the cold next to the telescope. I can't wait for the automatic refocus Vaonis has promised us.

#114 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:00 PM

First try at NGC 281 (Pacman Nebula).  40 minutes of 10 sec subs, Hi Res (Bin 1).   Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC281_Dec_1_2021 copy.jpeg

Edited by Alien Observatory, 02 December 2021 - 12:01 PM.

• Larry Hansen, Jon_Doh, alphatripleplus and 7 others like this

#115 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:13 PM

Colour is something I care quite a lot about, and I've occasionally compared my star colours to published colour indices. From the images I've seen in this thread, I'm of the opinion that the Stellina has excellent colour processing. What I'm in the dark about is how much of this is down to Stellina and how much due to the user. But either way, the results across a wide range of objects are very impressive.

Martin

#116 Larry Hansen

Larry Hansen

Messenger

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:22 PM

Looks like last night was the night to do NGC 281.  Here is my capture at 60 minutes in high res.  It took Stelina 2 1/4 hours to make the capture and with no temperature warning either.  Surprise.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-12-01 NGC281 60m Hr crop.jpg

• roelb, Alien Observatory, bips3453 and 2 others like this

#117 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:26 PM

Looks like last night was the night to do NGC 281.  Here is my capture at 60 minutes in high res.  It took Stelina 2 1/4 hours to make the capture and with no temperature warning either.  Surprise.

Sorry I'm confused  - When you say it took Stellina 2 1/4 hrs to make the capture, presumably you are not referring to the 60 minute capture in your post?

#118 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:33 PM

Colour is something I care quite a lot about, and I've occasionally compared my star colours to published colour indices. From the images I've seen in this thread, I'm of the opinion that the Stellina has excellent colour processing. What I'm in the dark about is how much of this is down to Stellina and how much due to the user. But either way, the results across a wide range of objects are very impressive.

Martin

Just the Stellina SW doing the star color.  Differences in location, LP, Temp, Altitude...may make some minor differences.   Pat Utah :)

• Larry Hansen likes this

#119 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:35 PM

Sorry I'm confused  - When you say it took Stellina 2 1/4 hrs to make the capture, presumably you are not referring to the 60 minute capture in your post?

Yes, in Hi Resolution Mode the Stellina Stacking SW takes 2X more time than the Low Resolution Mode. Just a matter of available computing power available in a RaPi processor.

Pat Utah smile.gif

Edited by Alien Observatory, 02 December 2021 - 04:36 PM.

#120 Larry Hansen

Larry Hansen

Messenger

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:43 PM

The image is 360 10 second frames for a total of 60 minutes.  Stelina takes more time than that to process the image.  Sometimes a 10 second sub will take 25 seconds or more.  Also some subs get tossed by Stelina for whatever reason Stelina is programed to do.  Hope this clears things up.

#121 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the clarification, guys. Did not realize the software overhead was that large in high resolution mode.

#122 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Messenger

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the clarification, guys. Did not realize the software overhead was that large in high resolution mode.

I don't think it's the software overhead. When I made my tests one year ago, when the high-resolution mode got out, I found something like:

Low res: 12 seconds per sub

High res: 15 seconds per sub

This was computed by counting the FITS, which are always saved, even if they get rejected by Stellina's algorithm.

By contrast, if you look at the image forming on the app, you have the impression that it takes more time per sub because Stellina rejects (does not stack) some of the subs. It seems it's based on a stat called "star roundness". I suppose it measure the shape of the stars and if they are not circular enough, the sub is not used.

• Larry Hansen and gern like this

#123 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:05 PM

Longer subs at 15 or 20 seconds may reduce  the "Total" Time required.  I have not tried that option yet.  Pat Utah :)

#124 CptNautilus

CptNautilus

Messenger

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:13 PM

Longer subs at 15 or 20 seconds may reduce  the "Total" Time required.  I have not tried that option yet.  Pat Utah smile.gif

Actually, in my experience, taking longer subs tends to increase the total time because Stellina rejects more of those subs. 

#125 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:04 AM

The Running Man (NGC1975) from last night 35 minutes, Hi Resolution.  Pat Utah smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC_1975_Dec_2_2021 copy.jpeg

• Larry Hansen, roelb, bips3453 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics