•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

5 weeks and counting, too many jobs to do..!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
203 replies to this topic

#201 BradH

BradH

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

Great shot Neil. It was cloudy here as it has been for the last few months :bawling:.

Brad

#202 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:54 AM

My main point in posting though was to garner the thoughts of UK astronomers and their opinions on Pulsar Domes pulling their 9 foot dome and only now selling their 7 foot model?

I didn't reply because I didn't feel I knew much about the product. As you may remember from my waffling of a month or two ago, the idea of a dome appeals to me but I decided against Pulsar's 7' dome because I need automation, which I can't afford. I never really considered the 9' model because of its price and size - and I guess those are two reasons that they've stopped making it. The 7' model is quite affordable and something you can just about hide away in the garden without it being too obtrusive, so it seems to me that it appeals to a fairly wide audience (and I would probably have got it if I was a visual-only observer). The 9' is at a bit of a different level - it stands out a lot more, and the cost would make most people think twice (plus it's not that far removed in price from an automated Sirrus, which would appeal more to the very serious amateur, especially if they were imaging). So i'm not too surprised that there isn't enough of a market for it to keep production going. It's sad to lose the choice though.

#203 Neil

Neil

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:50 PM

Great shot Neil. It was cloudy here as it has been for the last few months .

Brad

Thanks Brad.

Hi Ben,
Thanks for responding and you have probably hit on the points that I would suggest for Pulsar not making anymore.
The 9 foot dome is a little 'large' (obviously.... :lol:) but also quite expensive. I paid just over 4,200 pounds and then had to factor in delivery and putting it up, so altogether probably closer to 4,800, which is obviously quite a bit.

That said though, I heard on the grapevine that Pulsar were in the middle of contemplating increasing their prices for the 9 foot to nearer 5,000 pounds. This would have made the 9 foot dome nearly twice the price of a 7 foot (2,700), so they probably thought blow it and decided to throw the towel in.

A bit sad really as now we all will have to rely on an imported dome which will bring its own set of logistical problems and added finances (import duty, long distance delivery, no direct UK support).

By the way Ben, do Sirius have a UK agent, and second question what dome / observatory are you considering?

Regards, Neil.

#204 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hi Neil, Sirius do seem to have a UK agent

http://www.kevsmiths.../Domeindex.html

although there's no indication of a price - "if you have to ask" etc. I didn't ask.

I've decided to go for a SkyShed roll-off. If I was visual-only i'd have gone with the 7' Pulsar dome, but I want to be able to leave the 'scope imaging for an hour or more and would need an automated dome for that. I was very tempted by the SkyShed POD, but for a variety of reasons decided against it at this point.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics