•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light - New 20" F3.9 w/NV

NV Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lukes1040

Lukes1040

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:14 AM

Finally, after 15 months of waiting, I was able to get my new 20" F3.9 Astrosystem's telekit out for its first light. 

IMG_0762.JPG

First light was from my backyard, bortle 6-7. I plan on getting this out to a dark site ASAP, but I wanted to make sure everything was working correctly, and that all my eyepieces/NV would come to focus. Glad to report all worked well on that front. 

I started out with just glass eyepieces, to get a handle on how much difference there was between my 12" and this new 20". I tried to hold off using the NV as long as I could, but only made it about 30 minutes before I couldn't wait any longer.grin.gif

I figured the best way to have a good first light would be to visit some of my favorite object currently in the sky. I used a 55mm plossl mated to my NVD Micro and 7nm HA filter for all of my observations/pics (with the exception of NGC 891) . I started out with the ring nebula. Wow. The image scale compared to my 12" was remarkable. I typically never look at the ring with the 12" w/NV because the image scale is so small as to make it not worth spending much time on. Not so with the 20"!

Up next was the dumbbell nebula. So much detail to be seen. Almost looks like a Hubble image. Below is a 3 second exposure from an iPhone. No tracking or stacking, just a single shot. Picture is very close to what is seen at the eyepiece, maybe a touch brighter in the photo.

C6D9DFED-5B0E-49EF-B8EC-3EFBF85805EA.JPG

My favorite DSO is probably the Veil Nebula. Although I cannot see the entire structure in the 20", the amount of detail more than makes up for it. Simply breathtaking.

IMG_6075.jpg

• Ptarmigan, cometcatcher, Mort H and 5 others like this

#2 Lukes1040

Lukes1040

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:17 AM

More shots of the Veil.

IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6071.jpg

Cygnus is high in the sky right now, so i went to check out that area of the sky. 

Small portion of the NA Nebula

IMG_6089.jpg

• Ptarmigan, cometcatcher, Mort H and 4 others like this

#3 Lukes1040

Lukes1040

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:22 AM

Crescent Nebula

IMG_6085.jpg

I also took a look at NGC 891, and was blown away. For some reason, I find that the view through the eyepiece of galaxies is far better than what I can capture on a phone pic, while I can take pics of nebula that are slightly better than the view through the eyepiece. 

Altogether it was a great night. I can't wait to get this setup to a dark site, although my views from home have been astounding thus far. 

Edited by Lukes1040, 11 November 2021 - 10:28 AM.

• Darren Drake, Ptarmigan, cometcatcher and 5 others like this

#4 YeloSub

YeloSub

Vostok 1

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:34 AM

Great telescope! Congratulations!
  • Lukes1040 likes this

#5 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 November 2021 - 01:24 PM

First, great images and great scope.

The best visual view of M27 I’ve ever had is with my Micro and my C8 and a 6nm Ha filter. The detail compares with my old short 10-15 second exposures when I was doing astro video EAA.

Interesting to note that your 20” F4 has the same FL as my C8.

The “strings” in the Veil are also ready seen, even from my Bortle 8-9 sky.

I noticed that you don’t have a wide field scope listed. NV and an inexpensive, wide field, fast 4” achromatic refractor or fast, 6” Newtonian is great to use with NV.

Enjoy.

Bob

#6 Mort H

Mort H

Vostok 1

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:12 PM

Awesome scope, images and first light report!

• Lukes1040 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics