•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What vendors make 180mm Rumak style Mak-Cass scopes

Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MER

MER

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central, Ohio

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:15 PM

I know Ioptron?

Intes?

any others?

Thank you

#2 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:41 PM

Not vendors but manufacturers.  A vendor is a retailer.  Ioptron doesn't retail, nor did Intes.  Might be semantics but there are distinctions.  Manufacturers can also be the OEM for many other brands.  For instance APM used optics produced by Intes for the Rumaks they made.  Santel likewise used Intes optics in their Rumaks.  It may also be the case that Ioptron also doesn't manufacture its own optics but are come from another source just like Synta's do.  But for the sake of this thread, we'll stick with Ioptron making their own optics because no one else offers Maks like theirs.

Then to answer your question, Intes and Ioptron I believe are the only ones who made/make Rumak optics.

Alex.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Aurora

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:13 PM

Your question says make, so for that only iOptron for the sake of argument currently offers new Rumaks. Intes, Intes Micro, LOMO, Santel, and others in the old Russian Federation do not as mentioned.  APM can sometimes get optics from that area. While many of these companies still exist they are no longer in the commercial optics business. Some due to Russia taking all their capacity for military optics like they did before the USSR collapsed and they started a commercial side, and some only doing the professional side of astronomy instruments now. Others just loss their source of optics when all this occurred.

#4 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:58 PM

180mm Rumaks ? Ioptron didn't make a 180mm Rumak. The Russians did 1980's - 2016, but these are now all classics as production ceased so secondhand only - if you can find one. There was an M715 for sale recently on AM.

LOMO Astele EL 180 - very, very rare, f/10 - there is a CN review of one;

Intes - MK71 (f/10);

STF Mirage 7 (essentially an MK71, rebranded);

Santel - MK71 (f/10) utilised Intes glass and other parts from Intes with some mechanical differences;

Intes-Micro M703 (f/10), M715 (f/15).

I have seen one other advertised years ago in Japan, possibly branded "Perseus", in black livery and looking very much like a rebranded MK71.

Note: if you are after a planetary scope, the pick of the bunch is the M715 deluxe or MK71 deluxe. For 7" and above, Intes and Intes Micro had two levels of optical quality; those labelled "Deluxe" are 1/8 wave P-V or better (the others are not) and these do command a significant premium. 

The main reseller in Europe was APM (Markus Ludes) and in the USA, ITE (Mike Palermiti). APM and TS occasionally have one (used).

Edited by luxo II, 11 November 2021 - 09:39 PM.

• skyjim, maroubra_boy and MER like this

#5 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 12 November 2021 - 11:49 AM

I believe the iOptron optics in their 150 Rumak MAK are made by Bosma in China. Most owners of these scopes from what I read in these CN forums are very happy with the optics.

Bill

Edited by Bill Barlow, 12 November 2021 - 11:51 AM.

• RAKing and gustavo_sanchez like this

#6 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:31 AM

I believe the iOptron optics in their 150 Rumak MAK are made by Bosma in China. Most owners of these scopes from what I read in these CN forums are very happy with the optics.

Bill

Correct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Sarkikos likes this

#7 MER

MER

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central, Ohio

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:18 AM

Thanks all!

sorry for the incorrect terminology

#8 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

• Loc: North Port, Florida

Posted 13 November 2021 - 09:39 AM

First off the Russian scopes like Intes, Intes micro, TEC and Santel were true Rumak designs with adjustable secondary's, the others who say they are a rumak design have a glued secondary attacked to the rear of the front corrector lens so they would be considered quasi rumak designs but if that secondary is not dead nuts on your optics will never look that good.

These new CC scopes are kind of like the of like the rumak scopes cause you have to adjust the secondary then the primary but once done will perform like the rumak design, they are a little of a pita like the Russian scopes and not for folks who do not have patients.

Sample to sample with the Bosma made Ioptrons can vary along with the AstroTech model AT6M, some good some so so. This is why the synta models are soo popular cause there is no issues with miss glued secondary's.

• Sarkikos likes this

#9 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

Posted 13 November 2021 - 09:41 AM

BTW Astro Tech had a 8" baby out and maybe 5 samples hit the USA, who knows were they are now but it was heavy at 22 plus pounds!

• Sarkikos likes this

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 14 November 2021 - 10:48 PM

Bill

I have a 150 Rumak made by Bosma.  I bought it used about ten years ago.  It has good optics, but is heavy and is slow to acclimate.  The images are sharp and contrasty, if you are willing to wait.  In my area, it's probably best to save this scope for warm weather observing.  

The secondary is in a separate cell attached to the back of the meniscus.  The secondary is not collimatable.  So I suppose it is a quasi-Rumak.  Apparently I received a decent sample, because the star pattern is concentric and the image is sharp ... at least it is once the optics settle.  The diffraction pattern is pretty much identical on both sides of focus.  I've never collimated it since I've had it.

There are three plugs which pop out from behind the primary.  Each exposes two screws: one to adjust the primary, and one to hold the adjustment.  You can also remove the plugs to help acclimate the OTA, I suppose.  

The silver label on the OTA says: "Maksutov Telescope  MK18015  No. 021083  D=150mm f=1800mm."

It has a simple, more-or-less Synta-style finder base.  The base does not have the usual cut-out at the back edge.

This 150 Mak is heavier than my EdgeHD 8", and takes longer to acclimate than my 10" Dob.  For these reasons, it is one of my least used scopes.

My only other Mak is a C90.  I've used it much more often.  :grin:

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 November 2021 - 11:20 PM.

• skyjim likes this

#11 alnitak22

alnitak22

Aurora

Posted 14 November 2021 - 11:09 PM

I have a 150 Rumak made by Bosma.  I bought it used about ten years ago.  It has good optics, but is heavy and is slow to acclimate.  The images are sharp and contrasty, if you are willing to wait.  In my area, it's probably best to save this scope for warm weather observing.  

It's heavier than my EdgeHD 8", and takes longer to acclimate than my 10" Dob.  For these reasons, it is one of my least used scopes.

My only other Mak is a C90.

Mike

Mike...Reflectix makes a Mak a year round scope with zero waiting time for acclimation. I wrapped my 6” Mak when I got it a month ago and have had fabulous lunar/planetary images as soon as I’ve gotten setup. It’s not winter yet of course, but I’ve had temps in the upper 30’s and I’ve used the Mak at high power immediately on my rooftop. I’d have gotten this Mak long ago had I known about Reflectix as the optics are great and it’s pretty hard to beat a 6” f/12 scope that just weighs 12 pounds.

• Sarkikos likes this

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 14 November 2021 - 11:25 PM

Mike...Reflectix makes a Mak a year round scope with zero waiting time for acclimation. I wrapped my 6” Mak when I got it a month ago and have had fabulous lunar/planetary images as soon as I’ve gotten setup. It’s not winter yet of course, but I’ve had temps in the upper 30’s and I’ve used the Mak at high power immediately on my rooftop. I’d have gotten this Mak long ago had I known about Reflectix as the optics are great and it’s pretty hard to beat a 6” f/12 scope that just weighs 12 pounds.

Yes, so I've heard.  grin.gif  I have a roll of Reflectix but I never got around to wrapping any of my Cats.  I'm basically lazy.  It's so much easier to just take out the SW 120 ED. 

But the wrapping is on my to-do list.  I might start out by wrapping my C90.  It's also troubled by winter temps, even though it's tiny.  I'm used to seeing that vertical shaft of light in the star pattern due to tube thermals. 

I weighed my 6" Bosma f/12 at 14.4 lbs!  It is a veritable tank.  My EdgeHD 8" is 13.8 lbs.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 November 2021 - 11:29 PM.

• alnitak22 likes this

#13 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:00 AM

Ah... you should try it, I expect you'll leave the refractors inside by the heater while the cats play outside !

Edited by luxo II, 15 November 2021 - 01:52 AM.

#14 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:06 AM

The 6” MAK weighs about the same as a 8” SCT but the SCT gathers about 80% more light.  I once had a nice Intes MK66 side by side with my 8” Meade ACF earlier this year to compare the views and the Meade killed the MAK on every object I looked at.   But this is to be expected give the large light grasp advantage.  So this is the main reason for not wanting one.  As I am getting older, I look more at the aperture to weight ratios of various telescopes to get the most aperture for any given weight.  That’s also why I chose a C11 over a M10 since both OTA’s weigh about the same but wanted an extra 1” of aperture. 

Bill

• Sarkikos and RichA like this

#15 alnitak22

alnitak22

Aurora

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:15 AM

Yes, so I've heard.  grin.gif  I have a roll of Reflectix but I never got around to wrapping any of my Cats.  I'm basically lazy.  It's so much easier to just take out the SW 120 ED. 

But the wrapping is on my to-do list.  I might start out by wrapping my C90.  It's also troubled by winter temps, even though it's tiny.  I'm used to seeing that vertical shaft of light in the star pattern due to tube thermals. 

I weighed my 6" Bosma f/12 at 14.4 lbs!  It is a veritable tank.  My EdgeHD 8" is 13.8 lbs.

Mike

The 8” Bosma is even more of a beast!!

• Sarkikos likes this

#16 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:27 AM

The Orion 150 with a good 2" diagonal and finder scope RA type 50mm is about 14 pounds fully loaded and the optics are on par with the Ioptron and the earlier AT6M its just that the Orion is not as beasty!

• gustavo_sanchez and alnitak22 like this

#17 alnitak22

alnitak22

Aurora

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:41 AM

The Orion 150 with a good 2" diagonal and finder scope RA type 50mm is about 14 pounds fully loaded and the optics are on par with the Ioptron and the earlier AT6M its just that the Orion is not as beasty!

Mine is 13.4 lbs. best as I can tell with the 2” Everbrite from my TV85. And I normally use light eyepieces in 1.25”. And you were right telling me I’d love this scope!

#18 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

BTW Astro Tech had a 8" baby out and maybe 5 samples hit the USA, who knows were they are now but it was heavy at 22 plus pounds!

Here is a photo of the AT8M next to my C925 in 2009.  Guess which scope was heavier?  Hint: my old C925 had a carbon fiber tube.  cool.gif

The Mak had very good optics and the views were really nice.  But it was heavy and this was also in the Pre-Reflectix days, so it took a while to cool down.  I tried it out for a few days, then sent it back to Astronomics.  IIRC, all of the AT Maks (6 and 8) were pre-production samples and AT decided not to go into production with them. 

Cheers,

Ron

AT8M_C925.JPG

EDIT:  Here are both AT Maks for a size comparison.

AT6_AT8_C925.JPG

• Sarkikos and alnitak22 like this

#19 alnitak22

alnitak22

Aurora

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:40 PM

Here is a photo of the AT8M next to my C925 in 2009.  Guess which scope was heavier?  Hint: my old C925 had a carbon fiber tube.  cool.gif

The Mak had very good optics and the views were really nice.  But it was heavy and this was also in the Pre-Reflectix days, so it took a while to cool down.  I tried it out for a few days, then sent it back to Astronomics.  IIRC, all of the AT Maks (6 and 8) were pre-production samples and AT decided not to go into production with them. 

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gifAT8M_C925.JPG

EDIT:  Here are both AT Maks for a size comparison.

attachicon.gifAT6_AT8_C925.JPG

Hard to believe that’s a 9.25”!

• RAKing likes this

#20 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 November 2021 - 03:55 PM

No idea if this are still be produced or quality:

https://www.orionopt...product/omc200/

However there is a price so maybe...

#21 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:53 PM

OOUK have an "interesting history", in the chinese sense. Dig deeply and you will see what I mean.

Edited by luxo II, 16 November 2021 - 10:54 PM.

#22 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:24 AM

Didn't the British firm Orion (no relation) make some kind of Rumak?  Or were they rebadge Bosmas?  I remember you could get them with "deluxe" optics or not.

#23 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:37 AM

Their history is out there if you dig deep enough, no need to repeat it here.

#24 Lagrange

Lagrange

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:59 AM

Didn't the British firm Orion (no relation) make some kind of Rumak?  Or were they rebadge Bosmas?  I remember you could get them with "deluxe" optics or not.

Looks like they still sell it but the scope is no longer being manufactured due to issues getting high enough quality glass for the corrector.

#25 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:35 AM

Their history is out there if you dig deep enough, no need to repeat it here.

Not sure I can find what you are referring too. OOUK did go and buy a zygo after they had their mirrors measured at a national lab. Ronchi test was not up to much. And they are slow in delivery, but their Mak’s get good reviews for the 140.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics